THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

3 hours ago, Sandor said:

Well this is the realest music we have yet for Solo promotions, and while I love it I don't know. A Bell Canada commercial around the release of TFA actually used music from the score so who knows. Just wait for it to come out though!

We still don't know, at this point, if there is a track named "Han Solo Theme" composed and conducted by John Williams.

If it's not, I'll be disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Obi said:

We still don't know, at this point, if there is a track named "Han Solo Theme" composed and conducted by John Williams.

Be prepared for "Han Solo and Daenerys Targaryen theme", and for endless speculation on whether it is meant to be a theme for Han Solo alone, or a love theme...

46 minutes ago, Score said:

Be prepared for "Han Solo and Daenerys Targaryen theme", and for endless speculation on whether it is meant to be a theme for Han Solo alone, or a love theme...

That's not speculation, that's what's called wishful thinking.

"Why doesn't Han Solo get a theme? He's my favorite character! Oh, well, I'll just take another theme, claim that its his, and try to rationalize it."

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's clearly a theme for Han Solo's relationship to the princess.

It plays when she’s with Lando. It plays when she’s with Luke.

It plays when Han's out alone on the snowfield talking to Luke :P

Disclaimer: I definitely don't think it's Han's theme, just having fun.

5 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

It plays when she’s with Lando. It plays when she’s with Luke.

It plays in The Last Jedi twice, for Leia.

Sure, but all of this goes to show that its as much a theme for her than it is for Han.

The style of the theme is also much, much closer to Leia's own theme than it is to any other piece of music ever to have played when Han was around.

The fact that Williams wrote a new theme for Han is proof enough. Especially since he used the love theme in both of the latest episodes, and wrote a new arrangement of it, so its not like he forgot about it when he decided to write a new theme.

7 hours ago, Obi said:

I'll be relieved. I'm buying the album for Powell, not Williams. If you want John Williams' Star Wars, you'll have nine scores to choose from. 

If you put a gun against my forehead, demanding I list my top three Powell scores that embody why he's one of my top favorites, why his music makes me feel stupid emotions and why I'm so insufferably excited for him doing Star Wars, I'd name Horton Hears a Who, Ferdinand and either How to Train Your Dragon works (I honestly love both about the same).

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'll be relieved. I'm buying the album for Powell, not Williams. If you want John Williams' Star Wars, you'll have nine scores to choose from. 

I look at it more as I would be getting a Star Wars score by John Powell and a bonus track by John Williams for free. What's not to like!

On 2/5/2018 at 7:39 PM, kaseykockroach said:

It's not for another 22 days! What am I supposed to do until then!?

Compose a Solo theme of your own and listen to that! ;)

Oh I don’t care about the application of the themes as they apply to the characters. The statement of Luke’s theme felt very awkwardly inserted to me, but I guess loyalty to the themes from Powell is cause for celebration.

If this is indeed a snippet of Han's theme, it does seem to share some DNA with the Han & Leia love theme (or whatever you may want to call the reverse Tristan-melody 😉)... 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Han's Theme? 0:16 on brass.

It's clearly Powell, not Williams. It sounds exactly like Powell's writing. I'll be very surprised if that's Williams' melody.