THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Back to Solo (which should be the ONLY topic discussed on this thread), the Powell thread mentions this piece is probably only around 2 minutes.  I wonder if Williams will work up a longer piece for concerts/Hal Leonard.

Btw, "only" means "one," as in "solo," so settle down. 

I doubt it. One would think the piece itself is already a 'concert suite' of the theme ala 'Rey's Theme' or 'The Rebellion is Reborn'. I think it also depends how expansive the theme is and how much it can be played with etc.

It would be interesting to hear what a concert suite might sound like with both Williams' theme and Powell's collection of themes, possibly extrapolated from the end credits...

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Back to Solo (which should be the ONLY topic discussed on this thread), the Powell thread mentions this piece is probably only around 2 minutes. 

I haven't been reading that thread. Does someone know for sure the piece is around two minutes, or is it just speculation?

Yeah, somebody saw on Instagram that Powell had mentioned in a comment there was 75 minutes of score, and then more recently said the album was a little over 77 minutes.

So unless he actually was specifically saying that it was 75 minutes of his music plus a 2 minute John Williams track, then I think the 75 minutes might have just been an estimate.

Wait, did Powell state the album was 75 minutes, or the score itself?

Just saw the film's runtime is 2h23m! Can't imagine he only wrote 75 minutes of music for a film that long.

Williams must dream of writing a Star Wars score under 3 hours long these days. :lol:

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wait, did Powell state the album was 75 minutes, or the score itself?

Just saw the film's runtime is 2h23m! Can't imagine he only wrote 75 minutes of music for a film that long.

Williams must dream of writing a Star Wars score under 3 hours long these days. :lol:

Yeah, album

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just saw the film's runtime is 2h23m!

@#%&!

What's with the running time of Star Wars films getting this out of hand?! There's a reason the first two (and best) Star Wars films were only two-hour long. They're supposed to be compact, kinetic action-adventure flicks. The Force Awakens was a bit longer, but stil within that ballpark. 

Its all the more perplexing in this film, which is being marketed as oldschool goofy fun. Why should that be pushing two-and-a-half hours? My guess is that they're getting sidetracked from the narrative with the presentation of the world or with the origin story of the character, neither of which is reassuring.

Only reinforces my resolve to not see it.

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, JW only wrote the set of new themes and orchestrated them, didn't he?

No, he was supposed to only write some themes but then stepped in and wrote everything you hear on it that is new. Ross only adapted existing material from the first potter movie. All concert arrangements and new underscore was Williams. 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Back to Solo (which should be the ONLY topic discussed on this thread), the Powell thread mentions this piece is probably only around 2 minutes.  I wonder if Williams will work up a longer piece for concerts/Hal Leonard.

If it is only the 2 minute theme without development he will definitely do a longer version for concerts and then Hal Leonard as well. Can't see him conducting a 2 minute piece at a concert.

I really hope it's a good theme for Han....

9 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm pretty sure this is the CoS thread. :sarcasm:

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

But besides all that, Williams would not have taken a "Composed by" credit in the film and on the OST if he hadn't, well, composed the score!

Unlike this, you mean? Considering it's released by LLL it's very likely that JW was shown the album for approvement. Unless you want to split hairs between music composed by and music by.... :P

Superman-IV-cover.jpg

On 8.5.2018 at 10:31 PM, Alan said:

Nah, they'll be a microedit right as it reaches the best bit ;)

Must suppress Rescuing Sarah trauma ... must suppress Rescuing Sarah trauma ... must suppress ... :crymore:

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Unlike this, you mean? Considering it's released by LLL it's very likely that JW was shown the album for approvement. Unless you want to split hairs between music composed by and music by.... :P

new phone who dis

I really do think it sucks to have the credits like that on the Superman IV cover.  It doesn't give Courage enough credit for underscoring the drama himself, arranging and adapting existing melodies.  That's very obviously much more than Ross did on Chamber, and he got the same "adapted and conducted" credit.  As far I know, Williams had zero input in the spotting and dramatic shape of the Superman IV score.

They should have credited like Rogue One.

Original Superman Themes by John Williams

Score by Alexander Courage

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

@#%&!

What's with the running time of Star Wars films getting this out of hand?! There's a reason the first two (and best) Star Wars films were only two-hour long. They're supposed to be compact, kinetic action-adventure flicks. The Force Awakens was a bit longer, but stil within that ballpark. 

Well, first of all, movies are longer now because that's how long movies are in 2018.  Even comedies typically go over 2 hours now.

But second of all, consider how loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong the end credits on movies are now.  Especially credits on huge special effects movies, with huge budgets, huge crews, sometimes multiple visual effects studios, dedicated sound studios, 3D conversion studios, etc, etc, etc.  It wasn't always that way, and all of those credits factor into the final run time as well.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well, first of all, movies are longer now because that's how long movies are in 2018.  Even comedies typically go over 2 hours now.

In other words more bang for the bucks - gotta love that!

41 minutes ago, mstrox said:

But second of all, consider how loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong the end credits on movies are now.  Especially credits on huge special effects movies, with huge budgets, huge crews, sometimes multiple visual effects studios, dedicated sound studios, 3D conversion studios, etc, etc, etc.  It wasn't always that way, and all of those credits factor into the final run time as well.

True, the credits on Disney's Star Wars films run much longer than they did under Lucas. But this movie is just shy of The Last Jedi's running time.

I'm not against long running times: Hell, I like The Hobbit and King Kong! But the tight package, if you will, has been part of the Star Wars "formula", as it were.

38 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

One would think that running times would be getting shorter with modern ADHD audiences. Wierd.

People have more free time than ever before, so the longer run times make sense.  The lack of complex plotting/characters and prevalence of big shiny explosions, however, connect very directly with modern ADHD audiences.  There is a reason why long films like Silence have no chance of competing with the Avengers. 

A track written and conducted by Williams himself on the CD, what a good idea from Disney. Does the sales of Rogue one OST were so deceiving? ;-)

Anyway, it's great for my discography, as it will be part of his "Main" discography as a performer.... and I will be forced to buy the CD! ;-)

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

@#%&!

I suppose I see it as a part of a larger effort along with 3D, CGI, and immersive fantasy stories to market blockbuster films as "spectacles" to experience in the theater in order to create as large a draw as possible, especially with all the competition films face, particularly online and from TV. Very much the same thing happened back in the 1950s when television first came on the scene and some films became bigger-budget than ever before and were marketed in much the same way, with 3D (!), widescreen formats, full color, stereo sound, and epic stories with long running times - a movie like Ben-Hur is a good example. This is a simplification as there were other factors involved, but it is interesting to see much the same approach taken to blockbuster films today that face a similar problem. History seems to repeat itself!

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Sounds very Williams-y

Especially the hint of Darth Vader's Theme at 0:39. I'm impressed with this cue.

On 5/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, King Mark said:

it sounds williamsy but not like a Theme, and Williams only composed a theme

I think it definitely has a theme-like structure. There's a hook there and it repeats 4 times each with little variations, sounds to me like it could be the first phrase of something. Also the raised fourth, the flute/oboe (?) doubling is very Williamsy, and the little fills....I dunno, it's just loaded with his signature. 

If it's Powell, it's uncanny! He totally is fooling me.

39 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it drops soon to build up hype, maybe even with a video.

That sounds like the most likely option.  I hope it happens soon!  

First """"""Review"""""" of the score 

Waited for a while for #SoloAStarWarsStory to premiere & I'm so glad to say that it's so much fun! It's an action-packed heist movie! @RealRonHoward did an amazing job! Alden Alden Ehrenreich is an awesome #HanSolo! I loved #JohnPowell's score & #JohnWilliams new Han theme! 8/10!

Not a lot of info and doesn't really mean anything, but at least a newbie heard the theme.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:19 AM, Smeltington said:

:ola:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY what an exciting time!! I really hope we hear this in London!!!!!!!

This will be the first Star Wars score to have all the music JW wrote released on the OST. And only the second to be released in its entirety EVER (counting SW77)!

Ha ha.  Is there music still missing from Empire?

19 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it drops soon to build up hype, maybe even with a video.

18 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That sounds like the most likely option.  I hope it happens soon!  

I'm pretty confident they'll release a music video for "The Adventures of Han" no later than next week.

14 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Yeah, I think it's just alternates though? Someone will be along soon with specifics.

On 5/10/2018 at 5:17 PM, King Mark said:

it sounds williamsy but not like a Theme, and Williams only composed a theme

But it could be part of the theme and Powell is using it in the underscore?

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Film version of Yoda's Entrance ending (the segue to Threepio on the Falcon trying to communicate with it)