THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

Re: Han B (Searching), I can't help but think of Jyn Erso's theme, itself also bearing a slow mordent-like figure on the minor third degree of the scale followed by the tonic then fourth (fourth then tonic in the case of Han) but without the ternary rhythmic tricks of Han. They employ similar treatments of the minor tetrachord. Obviously no real connection other than them being protagonist themes in the first two SW anthology films, with Giacchino paying homage to Williams, with Jyn vaguely resembling the Force or Across the Stars. They all connect in a low res way.

Just now, The Five Tones said:

Re: Han B (Searching), I can't help but think of Jyn Erso's theme,

I do notice a similar emotional tone to them for sure.

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Jyn Erso

Han Solo

Three letter first name that ends with N

Four letter last name that ends with O

Themes are similar 

Ergo....

I'm still enjoying this score although I think I'll skip seeing the movie. Would I be right in saying that it's unlikely Disney will release an FYC now because we are so far away from next years Oscars? 

21 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

Re: Han B (Searching), I can't help but think of Jyn Erso's theme, itself also bearing a slow mordent-like figure on the minor third degree of the scale followed by the tonic then fourth (fourth then tonic in the case of Han) but without the ternary rhythmic tricks of Han. They employ similar treatments of the minor tetrachord. Obviously no real connection other than them being protagonist themes in the first two SW anthology films, with Giacchino paying homage to Williams, with Jyn vaguely resembling the Force or Across the Stars. They all connect in a low res way.

Or Imperials/Krennic 1 for that matter, minus the tetrachord part. Fast lower neighbour tone figure followed by descending interval.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone got that original mock-up of the leaked Williams sketch of his two Han Themes? I'm sure someone transcribed that leak into a mock-up and it was fabulous in piano form!

I went back through the thread looking for it but it's been deleted.

The Score Podcast leaked a sheet and someone here made a piano mockup based on it, but all those posts were deleted when the Score guys were asked to take the sheet down.

4 hours ago, hornist said:

I just don't get it. We have now the real music(which is great, except powell) 

why this interest of the mockups? And the love for the trailer music😱 you don't know who is JW.  My final post. Cheers. 

What are you on about? @crumbs was just asking about the recordings I made a few months ago, it was an exciting time, right on the cusp of some brand new Williams music. Why are you such a wet blanket?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Listened to this very much lately, suggesting it to our orchestra for a great encore for a film night. Since it is available by Hal Leonard we should buy this. Such an amazing piece of music, the film was awful so was the score but this piece survived. Ear worm stuff that theme is. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I hope those are not lost and got recorded :(. Or get rerecorded someday.

it would have been wonderful that Williams had wanted to do so much input in rogue one too.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Powell: When I go into demo mode I'm locked in my small room and I turn themes into orchestrations in MIDI, played by sample libraries that try to give an idea for everybody about what it's going to sound like. A John Williams demo is you go to Sony Picture scoring stage with an orchestra of 90 people and you record things.

Hahah, love it!

All wearing tuxedos, in my imagination, of course.

6 or 7 cues to film is a lot. I would love to hear those cues played over the footage and hear how he imagined the score. 

I imagine a lot of it was development of the main theme. It is pretty much plastered all over the soundtrack so I wonder how much of JW's 6 or 7 cues are still in the film? There are long stretches of the Space Port music that sound like classic JW.

See, Spaceport is one of the last places I’d imagine one of JW’s contributions would be in. 

if i were to guess, I’d say Hyperspace, that Han theme bit near the end of Reminiscence Therapy, Don’t Hold Your Breath and the end of Dice and Roll were the most likely I can think of

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

No chance that's just Asteroid Field?

No, I don’t think so. These are JW entries for music written specifically for Solo: A Star Wars Story. And there’s 6 items, not including the Adventures of Han, which matches what Powell has said about the number of cues and demos done by Williams. 

I believe the reuse of The Asteroid Field wouldn’t require a new entry, but would instead be entered as an additional use of the existing entry for that cue from ESB.

I hear a bit of the love theme in that Dryden cue.  I always thought Williams might have something to do with that theme. Maybe he wrote a sketch and Powell modified it.

Also Reminiscence Therapy is a compilation of JW themes and when Chewy's Theme pops up it also sounds like something Williams might have wrote (the true Williams orchestrated version). 

Seems the more we learn (JW's demos with several themes), the   more it's likely Williams presence in this score is more imprinted than we think

Might this have something to do with their both being co-nominated for the Grammy for “Mine Mission”? I always thought that L3/robot revolt theme was in Williams’ wheelhouse...