THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

29 minutes ago, tmarps said:

Secondly, I don't think the score needed the added "21st century soundtrack" sounding percussion.

I would agree with this. Powell's writing on this score is insanely rich, without the need for repeating percussion overlays. I'd be curious to hear the score without it, or with the percussion applied more sparingly (you become numb to it when it's smothered over every action cue).

29 minutes ago, tmarps said:

Powell is not a disinteresting composer - not one of the greatest either though

I'd have to disagree with your second statement. Powell's easily one of the best in the business right now, doubly so when you consider the output of his contemporaries. Bit of an indictment on the industry that we have to celebrate a composer for using woodwinds, flutes and harps, but that's where we're at.

1 hour ago, moi said:

Eurocentric?? 

Yeah, boris/vladimir/donald ftw💪💪💪

Maybe the arcument that those stupid drums are there just to hide bad music was provocative but I think bad taste is better wording. 

Pasi, in a torrent of uncertainty and chaos, you are an unflinching rock of stability and constancy.

Whatever you're sensibilities are regarding Michael Giacchino, I would put him alongside Powell as torch bearer for the symphonic film score tradition in a profession where 90% is dominated by Zimmer and Co.

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Whatever you're sensibilities are regarding Michael Giacchino, I would put him alongside Powell as torch bearer for the symphonic film score tradition in a profession where 90% is dominated by Zimmer and Co.

Titles with Credits for Both Zimmer and Powell

I count 14 feature films in which they both have credits.  I know he's been his own entity for many years now, but there's no universe in which Powell is not reasonably included in the "and Co." of "Zimmer and Co."  Powell is a central figure in the legacy of Remote Control Productions.

42 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Powell always was a great composer, but he also managed to improve himself since 2014 with HTTYD 2. His last 3 scores, Solo, The Hidden World and Call of the Wild, are all stunning. JW mentoring him was really great for him to evolve as a composer.

In my very personal opinion, Ferdinand is his best score of the last 10 years (and therefore his best score, period).  It might not be as grandly symphonic as the Dragons or echoing Williams like Solo, but in terms of eclecticism, fun, and telling a tenderly emotional narrative, that OST is just a perfect start to finish listen for me.

I never did talk quite as much as I wanted to about Ferdinand, I get overwhelmed on how to approach it, but you can find something of my feelings on it here:

and here

and here

8 minutes ago, moi said:

Fallen kindom is a more sophisticated score than the first JW?? 

Anyway. At least Gia does not use that much generic drum... eh percussion. 

Yes, he uses generic violins, oboes, pianos, harps, French horns, .....

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

Also the more heartbreaking side of it which can be tasteless to speculate too much, but he did lose his wife to cancer in 2016. It's been noted here before that Williams lost Barbara Ruick in 1974, just before he began a remarkable creative period. Coincidence, maybe.

We do know that the two men did bond over their experience.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

Oh is that true? I hadn't heard that.

I seem to remember an interview with Powell where he talked about that. But then again, I also remember a video where Williams played Long Goodbye for Rian Johnson.

40 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I seem to remember an interview with Powell where he talked about that. But then again, I also remember a video where Williams played Long Goodbye for Rian Johnson.

There is one :)

On that day that John sat down and played “The Long Goodbye” piano piece, Rian was so excited that he pulled out his iPhone and filmed the whole thing. John said, “Only for you, Rian, do I do this.” It was a very special moment.

I can't believe nobody here ripped the video off Twitter! Are we JWFans, or are we JWFans??? I checked my archives, and incomplete, they were. For TLJ I only have the 360 video and the score featurette.

20 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I can't believe nobody here ripped the video off Twitter! Are we JWFans, or are we JWFans??? I checked my archives, and incomplete, they were. For TLJ I only have the 360 video and the score featurette.

It was all a dream!

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Pasi: A Hornist Story

I found on YouTube wonderful piece of music by John Fucking Williams, he had made few themes for the SW spin-off movie. Solo. 

Oh God I loved the first track,  Adventures of Han, such a powerful youthful theme and it was and brilliantly structured, I didnt like the false ending but a brilliat piece for the brilliant decade. 

And

then

came

the 

second

track

Meet Han

My wife said she had never seen me more angry, more upset. This mediocre drum stuff for the SW universe, NOOOO

She didn't like it either. Hope the next tracks are better, we had to stop it there. 

Lol so you've been crapping on Powell all this time when you only listened to "Meet Han," typical hornist! ;)

I honestly doubt you'd care for the soundtrack as a whole since plenty of it is unorthodox even within a mostly traditional orchestral structure, but "Meet Han" isn't really an example of why people here love what Powell did. I think your stubbornness would have reached new bounds if you can't even respect "Mine Mission" and "Lando's Closet" at least...

On 5/12/2020 at 12:04 PM, Nick Parker said:

I think this notion that drums are like some kind of makeup used by composers to camoflauge weaknesses is fundamentally flawed, gross, and frankly, it feels kind of Eurocentric to me.

it depends what kind of drums. I  don't mean the ones Williams uses in cues like The Werewolf Scene of the beginning of Buckbeaks Flight, but I know cheap sounding drums when I hear them  and the ones in Solo sound cheap to me. Like the ones in Horner's Avatar.  And in Goldsmith's Hoosiers, they are so overwhelming they ruin the entire music.  I guess I don't like drums when they have a sort of  disco-ish, pop music rhythm going on.

14 minutes ago, King Mark said:

it depends what kind of drums. I  don't mean the ones Williams uses in cues like The Werewolf Scene of the beginning of Buckbeaks Flight, but I know cheap sounding drums when I hear them  and the ones in Solo sound cheap to me. Like the ones in Horner's Avatar.  And in Goldsmith's Hoosiers, they are so overwhelming they ruin the entire music.  I guess I don't like drums when they have a sort of  disco-ish, pop music rhythm going on.

This exactly!! 

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

it depends what kind of drums. I  don't mean the ones Williams uses in cues like The Werewolf Scene of the beginning of Buckbeaks Flight,

So basically any drums not conventionally in or adopted into the orchestral palette. Trust me, I knew exactly what all y'all were referring to.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:07 AM, crumbs said:

Not sure if this nugget of information is previously known (it's news to me). In this recent podcast, Powell confirms that all the cues John sketched & orchestrated for Solo were recorded in LA. It wasn't just the concert suite which got recorded:

That is awesome; really cool!

On 5/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, King Mark said:

Seems the more we learn (JW's demos with several themes), the more it's likely Williams presence in this score is more imprinted than we think

I never doubted that, especially since John Williams was involved with Solo from the start, and John Powell was asked to compose and adapt the score, which he accepted simply because he was informed that the Maestro was involved. This was an amazing and outstanding collaboration between two composers.

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

So basically any drums not conventionally in or adopted into the orchestral palette. Trust me, I knew exactly what all y'all were referring to.

Funny, since they are the same drums.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Williams really wrote 90% of the score himself and Powell just came in after to overdub disco drums.

Yes, this was my feeling as well. Nice to know others feel the same.

20 hours ago, moi said:

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Pasi: A Hornist Story

I found on YouTube wonderful piece of music by John Fucking Williams, he had made few themes for the SW spin-off movie. Solo. 

Oh God I loved the first track,  Adventures of Han, such a powerful youthful theme and it was and brilliantly structured, I didnt like the false ending but a brilliat piece for the brilliant decade. 

And

then

came

the 

second

track

Meet Han

My wife said she had never seen me more angry, more upset. This mediocre drum stuff for the SW universe, NOOOO

She didn't like it either. Hope the next tracks are better, we had to stop it there. 

I now see that your new moniker "moi" is not the French word for "me" but an acronym for "Man of Intellect"