THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah that is one highlight that shines above the rest, but you'd be hard pressed to find many other OT theme renditions (used in both the ST and PT) that didn't have far more inspired renditions in the prequels.

The choral-backed "The Force Will Be With You" emperor's theme statement is at that level too

You know, I love the score too Solo and the use of that theme in it. But the track The Adventures of Han always felt kind of flat and languid. This sounds more like the score. 

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I was really dissapointed how loveless the music editors just plugged 1:1 excerpts from the score together without any recognizalbe transition between them.

Fixed, the assistant music editor on Solo, Nate Underkuffler, talked about being involved with editing the suite

34 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

You know, I love the score too Solo and the use of that theme in it. But the track The Adventures of Han always felt kind of flat and languid. This sounds more like the score. 

I'll disagree. The first track finished up and I was totally blown away. Had to listen to it a billion times over and over in trying to arrange it too and never got tired of it. 

1 minute ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I'll disagree. The first track finished up and I was totally blown away. Had to listen to it a billion times over and over in trying to arrange it too and never got tired of it. 

That's awesome! It's so much joy to fall in love with a piece like that. 

19 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I still remember WHERE I WAS the first time I heard it. It was one of those. 

Those are the best. Not only do I remember where I was when I first heard TFA, but my boyfriend remembers where I was because I was spamming him with live updates.

This came up on my Youtube suggestion feed.  I am fairly sure I had not heard it.  Not bad, a little too slow, particularly in comparison to the energy of the FSO. 

22 hours ago, artguy360 said:

This is one of their best JW performances yet. They seem to be much improved. I hope they keep up the JW content.

I am a fan. His take of THE ASTEROID FIELD is also quite an impressive performance. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have always liked the "coda" after the "first ending" but also felt the first ending was a bit of a momentum killer.  Seeing the live performance really changes that for me.  The piece needs a small breather before its crazily energetic finale.  I love this piece.  Nothing too original with the main melody itself but the frenetic, non-stop vibe the orchestration bestow give the piece a credibility all its own.  

• 3 months later...

Regarding AOH: Perhaps this has been noted, and it always takes me forever to hear such things, but I just noticed a cool thing with the 6-7 note motif that plays between the hero and searching theme.  Williams uses it in counterpoint beneath the hero theme in the latter's first statement.  Good stuff.  

edit: continuing the dialogue with myself.  I suppose the motif is the ostinato driving the piece, but Williams gives it a much more nuanced role versus, say, Superman or DotF.