THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

Powell's score was recorded in London, right?  I wonder if Williams recorded this with the Last Jedi orchestra in LA last Fall or something at a pickup session.

Can't wait to hear the whole OST!  Williams and Powell together, it's like heaven.

Williams must have secretly recorded the arrangement in LA sometime.

Yea, the film cues were recorded in London

Just now, Jay said:

Just when we thought The Last Jedi was all we'd hear from JW in the Star Wars world until Episode 9 at the end of 2019, we kick off the first half of 2018 with TWO new concert arrangements from the maestro.  How lucky are we?

Now if only the other new arrangement was recorded!

My vote?  It should be recorded at the Episode 9 sessions, and then included on a future expanded edition of The Last Jedi

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Just here to add: Composed AND CONDUCTED by John Williams?!?! When did he do that???

Did he have a stealth flight to London or did he record it secretly in LA??!

I guess he conducted it via Skype.

3 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Maybe it was also recorded during the TLJ sessions?

It's POSSIBLE, but I don't think we got the news he'd help out with SOLO until well after TLJ was done recording, right?

The man lives in LA, it's really not hard to get a few hours in a studio with his favorite LA musicians when he asks

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess he conducted it via Skype.

I thought about that possibility too, but it seemed more likely to me that it was recorded before Powell recorded any of the film cues.  He had to integrate the theme into his cues, and probably wanted to hear how Williams wanted it to sound first.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought about that possibility too, but it seemed more likely to me that it was recorded before Powell recorded any of the film cues.  He had to integrate the theme into his cues, and probably wanted to hear how Williams wanted it to sound first.

I agree. I'll add a smiley next time. ;)

What the, my last post mysteriously disappeared? As well as the post quoting it?

Anyway, here for my first reaction: Composed AND CONDUCTED by John Williams?!?!? When did he do this??!!?? Surely he didn't fly to London and record it secretly in the Powell sessions, there would have been photos everywhere. Did he secretly record in LA without us knowing? What a great surprise!

Also clears up any misconception about exactly what Williams contributed to the film; certainly not just a melody scribbled on some paper!

Also, nice tip of the hat to the KOTCS concert suite. Let's hope this track is a little bit better than the Mutt equivalent, lol.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What the, my last post mysteriously disappeared? As well as the post quoting it?

Anyway, here for my first reaction: Composed AND CONDUCTED by John Williams?!?!? When did he do this??!!?? Surely he didn't fly to London and record it secretly in the Powell sessions, there would have been photos everywhere. Did he secretly record in LA without us knowing? What a great surprise!

Also clears up any misconception about exactly what Williams contributed to the film; certainly not just a melody scribbled on some paper!

Also, nice tip of the hat to the KOTCS concert suite. Let's hope this track is a little bit better than the Mutt equivalent, lol.

Jay moved it.

According to some (unconfirmed) reports on Reddit, it was recorded in LA last February. It was also the moment when he announced to the orchestra he would do Ep9 as well.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Great point. It's all well and good to read Williams' music on paper, another thing entirely to actually understand his musical intentions via conducting.

Considering Williams must have written the theme before Powell started writing the score proper (so it could be integrated throughout), presumably this was recorded late last year, before TLJ was released? That way Powell could understand the idiosyncrasies of the piece and write accordingly; seems unlikely the first time he heard Williams' track was alongside his film cues.

13 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

According to some (unconfirmed) reports on Reddit, it was recorded in LA last February. It was also the moment when he announced to the orchestra he would do Ep9 as well.

Williams confirmed he'd come back for IX before February.  The Variety article that generated the headlines that he was coming back for IX was from January 10th

http://variety.com/2018/music/awards/john-williams-could-set-oscar-record-1202658996/

5 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Wait, what? Do you mean 2017 or 2018? If the former, shooting began January 2017 so that means Williams was writing this months before production began, with two different directors. Very surprising if true; hard to believe they kept it under wraps for 15 months.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Wait, what!? Last February? Shooting began January 2017, so Williams was writing this months before production even began, with two different directors? Very surprising if true; hard to believe they kept it under wraps for 15 months.

I interpreted “last February” as Feb 2018!

8 minutes ago, toothless said:

Such a great news :) Now I hope it'll premiere in London later this year.

It’s more likely he’ll debut it in Boston in a couple of weeks at his annual Film Night concerts.

And yes, I meant February 2018 in the post before, of course :)

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wait, what? Do you mean 2017 or 2018? If the former, shooting began January 2017 so that means Williams was writing this months before production began, with two different directors. Very surprising if true; hard to believe they kept it under wraps for 15 months.

In the December 2017 Variety interview, Williams talks about the theme very much in the present and future tense.

Powell was announced as the primary composer for “Solo” back in July. “His assignment is something I’m very happy about,” Williams adds. “What I will do is offer this to John, and to [director] Ron Howard, and if all parties are happy with it, then I will be happy. … John [Powell] will complete the score. He will write all the rest of the themes and all of the other material, which I’m going to be very anxious to hear.”

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-williams-star-wars-composer-han-solo-movie-theme-1202650282/

That's not something that was recorded 11 months prior.

Yes you're right, I wrote this a bit quickly. But I mean, I hope he'll conduct this piece in London. I don't care where it actually premieres. :P

12 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It’s more likely he’ll debut it in Boston in a couple of weeks at his annual Film Night concerts.

And yes, I meant February 2018 in the post before, of course :)

Ah, thanks for clarifying. "Last February" implied last year's February to me.

Great news either way. Will be interesting to see how it blends with the music recorded in London.

Also, did anyone else notice that Ron Howard's comments lend credence to those persistent industry rumours about Williams' meeting with Kennedy regarding Rogue One and Giacchino/Desplat/Powell. Very interesting.

Here’s the original report on Reddit about it:

https://www.google.it/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7p9m1k/john_williams_is_confirmed_for_ix/

It was recorded in the first days of January 2018, apparently. The guy who wrote the report talks about it being a “temp score”, but it’s very likely it was the session for the concert piece. 

10 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

That person doesn’t really seem to know what temp tracking is...

I sort of see how they could use that term, but it'd be more accurate to call it a "demo recording" where the demo gets used as temp score in editing.  That's fairly common, like with Giacchino and Jurassic World.

I wonder if the inside of the OST booklet will mention that JW's track was recorded in LA, and if it will mention the exact date or not.  Probably not.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

John Williams not only composed the new Han theme, but wrote a whole concert arrangement of it titled "The Adventures of Han" THAT HE CONDUCTED!  It is track#1 of the OST album

He will likely conduct this in concerts, then.

Track 11?  Disney's gay agenda confirmed! 

I have just seen the post of John Powell and I'm very happy to see that Williams conducted himself a concert arrangement for 'Solo'. I think that was the right call. I was already very interested in this score but now I can almost consider this as a Star Wars score hahahaha

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Track 11?  Disney's gay agenda confirmed! 

Lando isn't gay in Empire Strikes Back. But with Disney's "let the past die" mindset, who knows? :P

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm guessing JW gets at least 50% of the album royalties.

And rightfully so! If his new theme's any good, that is...

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Lando isn't gay in Empire Strikes Back. But with Disney's "let the past die" mindset, who knows? :P

Maybe he's polyamorous.

YES!

This also means that, in quoting the theme in the score, Powell will have something more concrete to base his variations off of than a mere demo.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Powell's score was recorded in London, right?  I wonder if Williams recorded this with the Last Jedi orchestra

That's an awesome name for an orchestra!

Didn't ecpect him to actually conduct it.

Great news

...Unless it 12 minutes long and micro-edited to 6 on the OST

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm guessing JW gets at least 50% of the album royalties.

Only if the theme is hummed by at least 13% of those leaving the theatre.  Otherwise the effort is weak, forgettable, and deserving of no recompense. 

I'll hum it twice then.

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Didn't ecpect him to actually conduct it.

Great news

...Unless it 12 minutes long and micro-edited to 6 on the OST

That's still pretty long!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

the Last Jedi orchestra

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's an awesome name for an orchestra!

Yeah, I went to see the First Jedi Orchestra a while back and it was alright. The Last one is better.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Only if the theme is hummed by at least 13% of those leaving the theatre.  

You hear that folks. It is our duty to fulfill this.

Do we know if there's another concert arrangement (by Powell, this time) on the album?

"Flying with Chewie" sounds like a candidate, given that there is a Chewbacca theme now.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Do we know if there's another concert arrangement (by Powell, this time) on the album?

"Flying with Chewie" sounds like a candidate, given that there is a Chewbacca theme now.

Hmm. Yeah. Giacchino stuck three in on Rogue One (Jyn Erso And Hope, Imperial, Guardians of the Whills suites). Would be nice for a proper concert arrangement, especially with Powell reportedly having an additional five or something new themes and motifs.

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Hmm. Yeah. Giacchino stuck three in on Rogue One (Jyn Erso And Hope, Imperial, Guardians of the Whills suites). Would be nice for a proper concert arrangement, especially with Powell reportedly having an additional five or something new themes and motifs.

Indeed.

When it comes to the concert arrangements from Rogue One, I wish Giacchino will revise them in the future to make them feel like more complete concert pieces.