Obi

THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

The train your dragon scores from sound like loud bussy souless music. Parts of Solo are like this, i dont enjoy the CD from start to finish like i do Rogue one.

I dont very much like the HTTYD film so maybe that's it.

I rather have most of the giacchino output. sorry :P

That's cool that JW checked in with Powell occasionally even after the demos were recorded and Powell was writing his own material! So his involvement was definitely much greater than merely writing the two main themes and then leaving the project entirely behind, which is what I'd initially assumed was the case. 

As for the (absolutely awesome!!) related passages with Han's theme in "Hyperspace" and "Flying With Chewie" -- I've long assumed they were both based closely off of JW sketches. However, particularly for "Hyperspace," I do feel like there is definitely some Powell enhancement added. The brass flourishes seem a tad too extroverted to me to be pure JW...

yeah so, basically we don't know what JW suggested or added after he recorded the main theme like I've said all along. some of the themes like Mine Mission sound too much like Williams that he might have had a hand in them.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, King Mark said:

yeah so, basically we don't know what JW suggested or added after he recorded the main theme like I've said all along.

It's funny to read everyone in this thread saying this or that part of the Solo score HAS to be JW, it sounds so much like him, when we just went through all this with the "Anthony Daniels videos".

41 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Powell commented this will contain 5+ minutes of new Williams!

Right, but I assume that means 5 minutes of Powell's score that use Williams themes or are re-recorded moments from the LA demos - not that the actual LA demos will be here

On 9/23/2020 at 3:42 AM, Jay said:

Right, but I assume that means 5 minutes of Powell's score that use Williams themes or are re-recorded moments from the LA demos - not that the actual LA demos will be here

This. Williams' demo cues were never intended for usage. Plus, they were recorded in LA, which complicates things in terms of re-use fees etc. Whatever Powell used and re-recorded from those demos will likely be presented, though.

25 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

This. Williams' demo cues were never intended for usage. Plus, they were recorded in LA, which complicates things in terms of re-use fees etc. Whatever Powell used and re-recorded from those demos will likely be presented, though.

He said as much when I asked him about the LA demos.

Sadly I don't get the impression that everything Williams recorded in LA was repurposed verbatim in the London sessions, only fragments here and there. Seems unlikely we'll ever hear the early LA demos beyond a session leak.

Curious to see whether Powell divulges a bit more information about which cues have pure Williams material once the Deluxe Edition comes out. Personally I prefer the mystery; it's a testament to Powell's craft that he was able to blend their two styles so seamlessly and keep us guessing.

That is the bummer about these major label expansions vs the specialty label expansions - the nicely researched liner notes that go into detail about how the score came together

Well, we don't know yet, maybe this will have an in-depth digital booklet? Has anyone asked Powell about it yet?