THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

The train your dragon scores from sound like loud bussy souless music. Parts of Solo are like this, i dont enjoy the CD from start to finish like i do Rogue one.

I dont very much like the HTTYD film so maybe that's it.

I rather have most of the giacchino output. sorry :P

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone,   I just attended an open rehearsal of tomorrow's Boston Pops concert (with the maestro himself conducting!). It's going to feature the world premiere of "The Adventures of Han,

John Powell is interviewed about Ferdinand on the latest issue of FSM Online. The interviewer however closed the piece with a question about Han Solo. Here's what Powell said:      

He rose for the occasion alright.  

That's cool that JW checked in with Powell occasionally even after the demos were recorded and Powell was writing his own material! So his involvement was definitely much greater than merely writing the two main themes and then leaving the project entirely behind, which is what I'd initially assumed was the case. 

As for the (absolutely awesome!!) related passages with Han's theme in "Hyperspace" and "Flying With Chewie" -- I've long assumed they were both based closely off of JW sketches. However, particularly for "Hyperspace," I do feel like there is definitely some Powell enhancement added. The brass flourishes seem a tad too extroverted to me to be pure JW...

yeah so, basically we don't know what JW suggested or added after he recorded the main theme like I've said all along. some of the themes like Mine Mission sound too much like Williams that he might have had a hand in them.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, King Mark said:

yeah so, basically we don't know what JW suggested or added after he recorded the main theme like I've said all along.

It's funny to read everyone in this thread saying this or that part of the Solo score HAS to be JW, it sounds so much like him, when we just went through all this with the "Anthony Daniels videos".

• 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Powell commented this will contain 5+ minutes of new Williams!

Right, but I assume that means 5 minutes of Powell's score that use Williams themes or are re-recorded moments from the LA demos - not that the actual LA demos will be here

On 9/23/2020 at 3:42 AM, Jay said:

Right, but I assume that means 5 minutes of Powell's score that use Williams themes or are re-recorded moments from the LA demos - not that the actual LA demos will be here

This. Williams' demo cues were never intended for usage. Plus, they were recorded in LA, which complicates things in terms of re-use fees etc. Whatever Powell used and re-recorded from those demos will likely be presented, though.

25 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

This. Williams' demo cues were never intended for usage. Plus, they were recorded in LA, which complicates things in terms of re-use fees etc. Whatever Powell used and re-recorded from those demos will likely be presented, though.

He said as much when I asked him about the LA demos.

Sadly I don't get the impression that everything Williams recorded in LA was repurposed verbatim in the London sessions, only fragments here and there. Seems unlikely we'll ever hear the early LA demos beyond a session leak.

Curious to see whether Powell divulges a bit more information about which cues have pure Williams material once the Deluxe Edition comes out. Personally I prefer the mystery; it's a testament to Powell's craft that he was able to blend their two styles so seamlessly and keep us guessing.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, igger6 said:

I've been mainlining Star Wars tracks for two days, as is my custom this time of year, and wasn't it a treat to hear this little chestnut spontaneously evolve into existence about a minute into "You Got a Name?" from TFA, as Han leads Rey, Finn, and BB-8 into Maz's bar...

I know, I know.  But wouldn't it be something if it were?

I would have loved a little snippet of Han's theme in ROS.  

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

I've been mainlining Star Wars tracks for two days, as is my custom this time of year, and wasn't it a treat to hear this little chestnut spontaneously evolve into existence about a minute into "You Got a Name?" from TFA, as Han leads Rey, Finn, and BB-8 into Maz's bar...

Hey, you never know -- maybe Haab was inspired by the motif at 1:06 (which is exactly the first 6 notes of Solo's Han Theme) when writing "Han's Kessel Run" for Battlefront II. And then Williams was inspired by Haab. And around it goes.

Sorry, @Falstaft, not even a scholar of your caliber can pry me out of my denial about the Haab-Solo connection. I’ll go to my fiery grave in the core of Starkiller Base insisting it was a coincidence. 

41 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Sorry, @Falstaft, not even a scholar of your caliber can pry me out of my denial about the Haab-Solo connection. I’ll go to my fiery grave in the core of Starkiller Base insisting it was a coincidence. 

Even with the obvious temp tracking is TROS?

17 hours ago, igger6 said:

Reminds me of when I was watching The Force Awakens and heard Anthem of Evil playing all throughout the underscore for Kylo Ren's first tantrum scene. How does Johnny baby do this shit?

You can actually hear a bit of it on the official soundtrack version of The Girl With The Staff at around 1:15.

18 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Even with the obvious temp tracking is TROS?

I find it more plausible that JW mimicked the stylistic features of a temp track at the eleventh hour for a comparatively minor individual cue than that he cribbed the main phrase of a major theme that was his chief contribution to a score.  Listening to "Han's Kessel Run" again as I write this, I also notice that the five notes that make up JW's Han theme actually appear in the second phrase of Haab's theme, as a permutation of the opening melody with the same rhythm but slightly different notes.  And the identical notes are really a transition to the louder and more dominant four notes that close the second line.  (I'm sure there are better musical terms for all this.)  If the melody were written out as text, the identical portion would be lowercase, while the final four notes would be all caps and italic.  I'm still not convinced that JW personally listens to every note of everyone else's scores, and I probably won't be until I hear him say it himself.  But even if he did hear this before writing his Solo theme, I still think it's more a coincidence than anything nefarious.  Taken as musical "paragraphs," themes go in different directions.  (UPDATE: I looked up the conversation on Haab's Facebook, and he actually says "Total coincidence" himself.)

But all that said, it's still the best thing Haab ever wrote.  It's catchy, melodic, and not easily traceable to any specific prior Williams piece.  In my experience, it's hard to find another cue on the BF1 or BF2 albums that hit that trifecta.  (But I'm willing to be proven wrong if anyone wants to proffer a track.)