Synths In Indiana Jones Scores

templeofwhat

Almost all music in the Indy scores has some synths in them (Especially TOD) to enhance the music. Some are hidden very well, and some are pretty obvious. I was wondering who created them, and is there any sound clips of them anywhere?

Its not just Indiana Jones: Williams has never been too strict about incorprating synth into orchestral scores. The closest of his career to a purely orchestral score is the original Star Wars, and even that has synth in the diegetic music. Otherwise, there's almost always some synth parts nestled within the otherwise orchestral sound of the score.

There are exceptions, though, like "Training Montage" from SPACE CAMP (where synths and "pop beats" are more to the fore). Williams must surely only have supervised this while others (Randy Kerber? Joseph Williams?) actually programmed the electronics.

I hate to ask, but...where's the synths in ROTLA, and TOD?

There's the low throbbing sound, as the Ark burns through the crate, but I always thought that that was added by (?) Ben Burtt.

There's also a "wind" sound at the beginning of the track TOD,  but, again, I thought that that was made by a "wind tube" (or whatever it's called).

Are there synths in TLC, as Brody looks at the picture in Henry Snr's house?

Indeed.

Usually, the celesta and harpsichord parts in Williams' scores are synth, too. Although I seem to recall that once in the Indiana Jones scores he actually has a real celesta along with the synth one.

40 minutes ago, Richard said:

There's also a "wind" sound at the beginning of the track TOD,  but, again, I thought that that was made by a "wind tube" (or whatever it's called).

I think the choir when Indy approaches the statue of Kali outside Pankot Palace may be synthetic? But it's not exactly the kind of thing I imagine when I think "JW synth", which I understand to be more like the HP Library scene or Watto's Deal.

22 hours ago, Richard said:

I hate to ask, but...where's the synths in ROTLA, and TOD?

There's the low throbbing sound, as the Ark burns through the crate, but I always thought that that was added by (?) Ben Burtt.

Are there synths in TLC, as Brody looks at the picture in Henry Snr's house?

TLC has an e-piano sound in several cues.

22 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Indeed.

Usually, the celesta and harpsichord parts in Williams' scores are synth, too. Although I seem to recall that once in the Indiana Jones scores he actually has a real celesta along with the synth one.

I would not count it as synth, when electronic devices are used that reproduce the sound of a real instrument just to make the process of recording easier.

22 hours ago, Loert said:

I think the choir when Indy approaches the statue of Kali outside Pankot Palace may be synthetic? But it's not exactly the kind of thing I imagine when I think "JW synth", which I understand to be more like the HP Library scene or Watto's Deal.

The HP Library synth is probably John Williams' most prominently used synth sound.:wub:

23 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The choir in TLC is synth.

I take you that mean the end of THE PENITENT MAN SHALL PASS?

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

On the Tank has a prominent synth part.

Thanks, Marian, I'll listen to that.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

TLC has an e-piano sound in several cues.

I would not count it as synth, when electronic devices are used that reproduce the sound of a real instrument just to make the process of recording easier.

The HP Library synth is probably John Williams' most prominently used synth sound.:wub:

More prominent than the ARP in Fortress of Solitude? 

5 minutes ago, Fal said:

More prominent than the ARP in Fortress of Solitude? 

He used it all the time in The Philosopher's Stone, A.I., The Chamber of Secrets, Minority Report, War of the Worlds and Revenge of the Sith, so it would say "yes".