Who is able to compose music for Avatar 2

Darth Mulder

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Usually my eyes adjust to 3D after 5 minutes and I don't notice it anymore. Unless its badly done.

Its JAMES bloody CAMERON. The story may or may not be great, but the use of 3D is most likely going to be top-notch.

I find the 3D on my home setup far superior to cinema 3D, but my wife hates it so I never get to watch any 3D content at home. Also, as Thor said, the need to wear 3D specs on top of prescription glasses is not ideal.

On 1/3/2018 at 1:34 PM, Thor said:

The adventure films is one thing, but the reason I'd pick him is his fantastic gift of creating broad textures that combine electronics and orchestra, often with an ethnic tinge. This is the main "Avatar sound", IMO. I can easily hear shades of tracks like "The Pure Spirits of the Forest" and "The Biolumiscence of the Night" in tracks like, say, "Swimming" from WATERWORLD (my favourite JNH and his magnum opus):

Thor, was wondering how you would have felt about Hans Zimmer scoring this rather than Franglen? I know you are partial to some of his work. Do you think he would have been a good fit for this project?

I really like the Magnificent Seven score and I didn't know that most of it is likely Franglen at first. It has Horner's sound all over it.

He's also done some library music which is pretty good, such as https://www.emipm.com/en/browse/labels/KPMT/12

I approve of this assignment :)

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thor, was wondering how you would have felt about Hans Zimmer scoring this rather than Franglen? I know you are partial to some of his work. Do you think he would have been a good fit for this project?

"Partial to some of his work" is the understatement of the year! :D Zimmer is one of my alltime favourite film composers, so I would be over the moon if he had been picked. He would definitely nail the exotic/electronic textures, but obviously, the action music would not be of the orchestral Horner kind. It would be something different. And it seems from the Franglen assignment, they don't really want something different. They're content with second-rate Horner approximations.

Hopefully, Zimmer can weave some great music for the exotic sci fi landscapes of DUNE instead.

In any case, I cannot iterate enough that James Newton Howard not getting this is the lost opportunity of the millennium.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, that's indeed a lot of music, about 30 to 40 minutes, I guess, judging by the 2017 LLL edition. For the non sinking scenes, I guess Horner only uses (parts of) the orchestra along with the synths during the departure of the ship (Southampton, Take Her to the Sea Mr Murdoch) and a few times during the finale (like on the woefully unused An Ocean of Memories, and the infuriatingly discarded Old Rose's Theme). 

But I don't know if this approach of "synth for the intimate scenes/orchestra for the sinking scenes" was Horner's creative choice, a demand because of budget constraints or a combination of both. Reminding that a- Horner's big, sweeping love themes for epics until then were mostly orchestral and b- A year later, he recorded the Back to Titanic album... With the LSO, lol.

I asked Simon Franglen this question a few years ago and the answer is in this thread:

10 hours ago, Thor said:

"Partial to some of his work" is the understatement of the year! :D Zimmer is one of my alltime favourite film composers, so I would be over the moon if he had been picked. He would definitely nail the exotic/electronic textures, but obviously, the action music would not be of the orchestral Horner kind. It would be something different. And it seems from the Franglen assignment, they don't really want something different. They're content with second-rate Horner approximations.

Zimmer has done some orchestral work in the past, perhaps this could have been his opus magnum! Too bad we'll never know.

58 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Zimmer has done some orchestral work in the past, perhaps this could have been his opus magnum! Too bad we'll never know.

Sure, things like THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS, for example. But it's not his strength; he uses orchestra more as colourization, not an end in itself, so it wouldn't be "Horner-ish" in any case. He would add a slightly different angle to the musical landscapes. Would have been intriguing regardless.

I think my major complaint with Zimmer's approach to this kind of film is that there is no emotion behind it. It's a bit soulless - forgive me if I quote the Bard - full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Yet he has shown that he is capable of bringing emotion into his scores in the past, I just wonder why he doesn't.

13 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I think my major complaint with Zimmer's approach to this kind of film is that there is no emotion behind it. It's a bit soulless - forgive me if I quote the Bard - full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Yet he has shown that he is capable of bringing emotion into his scores in the past, I just wonder why he doesn't.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I get plenty of emotional by listening to his scores, both past and present. In fact, I consider that one of his strenghts as a film composer -- like Horner, he's very visceral, going immediately for the emotional core of a film.

God, I know where this is going. Am I up for another longwinded Zimmer defense in this thread? It's Christmas soon, I have other things on my mind.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

Am I up for another longwinded Zimmer defense in this thread? It's Christmas soon, I have other things on my mind.

No, that's not my intention. You enjoy Zimmer, I do not (with some exceptions). That's fine, there's no point in discussing it at length as we both have our preferences and will likely not be swayed. I will however make a point of listening to House of the Spirits. Any other orchestral Zimmer scores you could recommend?

Phew....thanks! :)

Zimmer rarely operates with orchestra-only scores, as that's not what he's about. But in addition to HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS, NINE MONTHS is a pretty beautiful orchestral score. Pretty simple and straightforward, but with a Delerue-ian elegance, I think. There's also TWO DEATHS and THE LAST DAYS, which are quite haunting. In the same mold as HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS. A few others as well.

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2019 at 3:51 PM, Alex said:

Well this is interesting.  This article is now deleted, but a similar one with the same date has been added instead

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/12/17/simon-franglen-to-compose-songs-for-james-camerons-avatar-sequels/

This specifically indicates he's only writing "indigenous songs" for the movie, and that no composer for the SCORE has actually been announced.

Well, on that front, I just noticed that wikipedia says Graeme Revell is scoring the film, but there is no source listed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_2

There's still no composer listed on IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/fullcredits

22 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

That is because they mostly still sound cheap! Real instruments just are better.

I'm not talking about using them in place of " real" instruments.

Get with the times-Ondes Martenot is a century old!

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're a century behind, Bruce!

No. You and your minions are.

" The pianoforte is so loud and vulgar. Why can't they play the much more elegant and " real" harpsichord?"

31 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

That is because they mostly still sound cheap! Real instruments just are better.

Screenshot_2020-08-03-17-46-02~2.png

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm not talking about using them in place of " real" instruments.

Get with the times-Ondes Martenot is a century old!

Unfortunately i find that in most cases electronics ARE used or seem to be used in place of real instruments. Or to get a sound that is almost like an instrument, just slightly changed. When they are used for really new sounds that cannot be achieved otherwise, I find them more interesting. On the other hand it is surprising how many sounds CAN be achieved by instruments. For a long time I thought that the Vger Sound in Star Trek 1 was electronic (and was surprised how good and non-cheap it sounded!), just to learn that they build a special instrument for that. 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, on that front, I just noticed that wikipedia says Graeme Revell is scoring the film, but there is no source listed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_2

There's still no composer listed on IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/fullcredits

I don't think I've ever heard a Graeme Revell score. Is he any good?

Oh well, I think we can go back to dreaming about JNH or Powell scoring this, and being inevitably disappointed with whoever they hire.

Powell would turn in a fantastic score but I can't see him doing it, much less all the sequels. Cameron's a notoriously difficult director to work with.

Maybe different composers for each film is the better approach. Would be nice to see Cameron reunite with Silvestri but didn't they have a falling out?

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think I've ever heard a Graeme Revell score. Is he any good?

He's eh. Kind of an anonymous scoring utility guy. Makes competent music, orchestrally and harmonically decent. Unremarkable.

Graeme Revell is an excellent composer, and would be a great fit for AVATAR - especially the indigenous stuff (just listen to something like the DUNE series or the THE CROW movies), as well as the the orchestral action/fantasy stuff (just listen to TOMB RAIDER). But I doubt there's any truth to the Wikipedia entry. We'll just have to wait and see who gets the gig.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I just know the Graeme Revell score of The Crow and that is brillant. 

Highlights, please!

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Anyway, I was really disapointed by the Avatar score

You're not the only one.

George Kallis would be a great option! There's a lot of young and talented composers who haven't scored a blockbuster yet that would do a great job on the film. 

On the other hand, though, I think Cameron and Fox... sorry, 20th Century Studios, will want to work with someone more experienced.

Until I saw Graeme Revell's name on the wikipedia page for Avatar 2 and clicked it, I have no idea he was a New Zealander.  I don't know if that gives credence to the possibility he is working on Avatar 2, or if that makes it more likely to be random fake info added to wikipedia.

Looks like he hasn't really done much since scoring the first season of Gotham in 2014-15.

The only material I've ever heard from Revell is some of his rejected 13th Warrior score (it's okay), Tomb Raider, and bits of what little score there is in From Dusk Till Dawn (completely overshadowed by the songs). He'd seem an unusual choice for Avatar.

• 6 months later...

Fully official now

Wanted to officially announce that Simon Franglen will be composing the score for the Avatar Sequels. Our relationship with Simon started when he was a critical part of James Horner’s team on the scores for both Titanic and Avatar. Our personal collaboration was cemented when Simon composed the music for Pandora —The World of Avatar as well as the Na'vi music that will be heard in the upcoming films. Excited that Simon will continue to be a part of our #AvatarFamily.

https://www.facebook.com/JonLandauLA/posts/355822416193287

and shared by the official Avatar page as well

https://www.facebook.com/Avatar/posts/10158858536294064