Who is able to compose music for Avatar 2

Darth Mulder

Meh, I was hoping for a big name composer, like Alan Silvestri or JNH. 

Actually, Silvestri would be ideal since he collaborated with Cameron. Of all the composers who wrote music for his movies, Silvestri is the only one still alive and working in the industry.

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Meh, I was hoping for a big name composer, like Alan Silvestri or JNH. 

Actually, Silvestri would be ideal since he collaborated with Cameron. Of all the composers who wrote music for his movies, Silvestri is the only one still alive and working in the industry.

Incorrect! There's another active Cameron composer collaborator who I think would have been a much better fit to follow up Horner than Silvestri... hell, the score he wrote for Cameron was in some ways a follow up to Horner (his work on Titanic):

Yavar

14 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Incorrect! There's another active Cameron composer collaborator who I think would have been a much better fit to follow up Horner than Silvestri... hell, the score he wrote for Cameron was in some ways a follow up to Horner (his work on Titanic):

Didn't know that McNeely had collaborated with Cameron. But you're right, he'd be a great choice for Avatar 2. He's criminally underrated.

Franglen hasn't impressed me with a single thing so far. It's all been rather anonymous, soulless stuff. But hey -- perhaps this will be it. But JNH would have been the composer casting choice of the millennium. All of academic interest now.

Franglen wrote, I assume, the majority of the actual score for The Magnificent Seven (a score myself and 3 other people enjoy), and it sounds pure Horner.

And there are scheduling and other elements at play - maybe Silvestri/JNH were asked but couldn't do it or didn't want to (multiple movies for a notoriously musically-difficult director...)

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Franglen hasn't impressed me with a single thing so far. It's all been rather anonymous, soulless stuff. But hey -- perhaps this will be it. But JNH would have been the composer casting choice of the millennium. All of academic interest now.

I agree with you. I don't find Franglen very interesting. But given how involved he was in the original film, and how many years he's spent on Horner's team, I think he's earned the franchise. Not to mention, whoever's involved in these films will probably be required to spend years developing and reworking material (similar to LOTR situation). I doubt any A-list composer has the scheduling capacity for this kind of thing.

Besides, JNH has most of Disney in his pocket anyway, he doesn't need more work.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Franglen hasn't impressed me with a single thing so far. It's all been rather anonymous, soulless stuff. 

Yeah, but who still remembers...Avatar? (translation: big deal)

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh wow I just found this compilation of danger motif appearances, there's soooooooo many

I think some of those were stretching the definition of the motif...like, clearly we're dealing with the same sort of melodic contour in all of them, but I would never describe that Bicentennial Man bit as the danger motif, for instance. There's no need to pad videos like these with dubious examples - Horner provided such a wealth of "real" uses of the motif!

Incidentally, I wonder if Horner ever had a way of describing this musical device. I've always assumed "danger motif" is a term fans came up with.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Yeah, but who still remembers...Avatar? (translation: big deal)

Yes. I think, with Avatar Horner didn't set the bar very high.

Joel McNeely, James Newton Howard, Alan Silvestri, Harry Gregson-Williams, John Debney, Christophe Beck, Patrick Doyle, Chris Young and many others. They all could do it , I believe.

If you would ask me for a wish candidate. I would like to have scores from Howard Shore for the sequels.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes. I think, with Avatar Horner didn't set the bar very high.

Wow. I consider it a top 3 Horner. I also consider the film the very best that year, and already a reference point in terms of how we experience cinema. So the bar couldn't possibly be any higher for any composer.

As I said, I don't like the fact that Franglen is attached to this at all. His stuff sounds like Horner with all the soul ripped out of it - whether it's MAG 7, the Avatar theme park stuff, VOYAGE OF TIME and whatnot. But God knows he's worked with a lot of great composers, and a lot of great scores over the years (as programmer, performer etc.). So I hope he's picked up some useful tricks. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Horner's Avatar is great and I think the only one who could have beaten this would be Williams. It would have been a premier for him to score a sequel, it could have resulted in an interesting compositions, quite unique.

My second choice would have been Silvestri, McNeely or even Gia who no matter what would have bring the attended colour and sound to this sequel

Anyway we'll see how it will end...

Just now, May the Force be with You said:

It would have been a premier for him to score a sequel, it could have resulted in an interesting compositions, quite unique.

I think, he scored the Zorro sequel as well.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wow. I consider it a top 3 Horner. I also consider the film the very best that year, and already a reference point in terms of how we experience cinema. So the bar couldn't possibly be any higher for any composer.

It remains a mystery to me, why we seem to have 90% opposite oppinions on scores and still find ourselfs in the same fan forum. 

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

His stuff sounds like Horner with all the soul ripped out of it - whether it's MAG 7, the Avatar theme park stuff, VOYAGE OF TIME and whatnot.

Well, Horner was also to a large degree a pastiche composer, so in that regard Franglen's learned from one of the best.

30 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It remains a mystery to me, why we seem to have 90% opposite oppinions on scores and still find ourselfs in the same fan forum. 

He, he. Yeah, I have that with many others here as well. My preferences just lean a different way from most forum posters (whether it has to do with how soundtracks should be presented, or the types of scores and musical styles we're attracted to).

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, Horner was also to a large degree a pastiche composer, so in that regard Franglen's learned from one of the best.

Perhaps, but at least he had a style and identity and a trademark. I've not heard any of that in Franglen so far.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

He, he. Yeah, I have that with many others here as well. My preferences just lean a different way from most forum posters (whether it has to do with how soundtracks should be presented, or the types of scores and musical styles we're attracted to).

Soundtracks belong in their films, buried under dialogue and sound effects!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

As I said, I don't like the fact that Franglen is attached to this at all. His stuff sounds like Horner with all the soul ripped out of it - whether it's MAG 7, the Avatar theme park stuff, VOYAGE OF TIME and whatnot. But God knows he's worked with a lot of great composers, and a lot of great scores over the years (as programmer, performer etc.). So I hope he's picked up some useful tricks. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Talking about the movie. Score wasn't much good, either, but who expects for Cameron, anyway?

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I get the feeling this film will be temp-tracked to within an inch of its life. I don't envy any composer working with Cameron.

I'm sure Williams on TROS would had a different opinion on that matter!

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I was talking about Williams who never score anything after another composer

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why don't they just get Ken Thorne to adapt it?

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Do you mean the Ken Thorne from Superman II?

Because if you are I hate to be the one who tell you that...

Humour...it is a difficult concept.

9 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Ludwig Göransson seemed like the perfect fit for this particular gig after what he came up with for Black Panther. Too bad he didn't get the job.

Cameron would have worked Göransson the way Nolan worked him on Tenet. Every note will be Cameron's note. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/08/2021 at 5:19 AM, Thor said:

"Flight of Passage" has the soul of Horner -- it sounds like it was 100% written by him.

Franglen's job with finishing Horner's work for the Disney theme park feels seamless and appropriate -- and put him in prime position to score the Avatar sequels.