Williams confirms EPISODE IX !!

Amer

4 minutes ago, king mark said:

When JJ was announced as director, I thought it increased the chances of Williams doing it.

Why? JJ was extremely kind and flattering towards Williams and his contribution to the film 2 years ago.

Williams hasn't had a bad time on the new SW films, i'm sure of it.

Just now, Jay said:

Nice to have official confirmation!

Jay, the news about the orchestral piece "Highwood's Ghost" is worth of a main page post!

(also, it is stated that the recorded score for TLJ was 184 minutes)

Finally we are reading some post  LAST JEDI feedback in more depth. Hope there will be more coverage on video and hoping Williams nabs both films for an Oscar nomination each. 

A lot of which we'll get on the isolated score! It'll probably be banished to the super ultra 3D 4K Bluray version to give people a reason to buy it, but we'll have it!

8 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

"Johnson was so delighted with the results that, Williams says, he would eventually like to release a version of the film “without the dialogue and effects, just the music played in the foreground. All of the accompanimental music will be brought forward — every gesture, the music traveling along with the moods and textures, references to characters and so on.”

why not release a 2 c.d. set now instead of 20 years from now

Rian praising JW:

As for “The Last Jedi,” director Rian Johnson says “of all the cool amazing stuff that I was lucky enough to get to do, the experience with John was the highlight of the highlights.”

Very interesting reading!

We also have a reference from Williams to the thematic material, including Rose's theme and what he calls a motif for Ach-to.

It also seems the size of the orchestra was increased after all: 101 pieces, as opposed to 85-piece in the previous one. My guess is added percussion, a fuller string roster and high woodwinds.

Nice! Third's the charm!

There is one error in the article, though. PLAYHOUSE 90 was not the first TV show Williams worked on (in fact, we still miss steadfast evidence that he worked on this show at all!). As most of you know, that was M SQUAD.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

A lot of which we'll get on the isolated score! It'll probably be banished to the super ultra 3D 4K Bluray version to give people a reason to buy it, but we'll have it!

That was my first thought on reading that section - it surely means Johnson will push for an isolated score on the BD.

I personally haven't been particularly thrilled by TLJ, but I haven't seen the film, and often a film viewing changes everything.

There wasn't really any doubt , but nice to see him round the saga out with one last score. And I hope it's the ultimate culmination of all his Star Wars work so far: it needs to go out on a triumphant note and I have every confidence in him for this.

Though... maybe he could get a more traditional scoring schedule - so far, his luxurious schedule has resulted in really great music - which still suffered butchering in editing. It must be grating that he hasn't escaped the editors.

It’s funny that I actually felt a little pang of deprivation at that phrase about his major work of 2018 not being for film. How accustomed I’ve become to the manifold and unexpected blessings of the past ten years. What is it, eight scores, two of them Star Wars?! Not a single synapse in my brain came within a mile of imagining this.

Then, a second later, I remembered the Solo theme is coming, too, and even the voracious, score-grubbing ingrate side of me was placated. 

P.S. It’s “IN-ter-STISH-uhl,” meaning occurring between the major sections of a larger work of some sort, usually having a connective quality. 

Great news. Let's hope Episode IX has some of the most compelling new characters / locales / situations of the ST so it inspires some of the best themes of the saga.