John Williams' 'Film Night' in Boston - May 23 & 24, 2018

Andrej

I had to do some funny business with iTunes to make it work, which, in the end it did, only the concert was half-way through 'Solo' by then.

I'm having a very John Williams morning; this arrived, finally!

20180528_101143.jpg

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

So is this available on demand? I can't find the link to the concert on the WCRB website.

I've been actively browsing the WCRB website. I think we'll have to wait 24 hours for it to be on demand. Unless someone here among us manages to fish it out of their temporary internet files.

concerts are no longer available on demand unfortunately

Beginning with the 2017-2018 concert season, WCRB will continue to broadcast and stream the BSO in Saturday evening live performances from Symphony Hall, with encore presentations on Monday nights. These broadcasts, however, will not be available for post-broadcast on demand streaming via WCRB's and the BSO's web sites. In addition, these broadcasts will only be heard on WCRB. They will not be heard on affiliate stations around New England.

2 minutes ago, Iilovejw said:

concerts are no longer available on demand unfortunately

Beginning with the 2017-2018 concert season, WCRB will continue to broadcast and stream the BSO in Saturday evening live performances from Symphony Hall, with encore presentations on Monday nights. These broadcasts, however, will not be available for post-broadcast on demand streaming via WCRB's and the BSO's web sites. In addition, these broadcasts will only be heard on WCRB. They will not be heard on affiliate stations around New England.

One of us, ideally living on the US east coast, needs to record the encore.

I didn't get access to the broadcast until they were well into JW's half of the program - a lot of us are having trouble accessing the WCRB's direct website stream. I did the iTunes hack, which made it work. I'm of a good mind to be awake for the encore presentation to record it, but even then, I can't find any listing of this on the website's Monday schedule.

Rights issues I suppose. What puzzles me even more is that there seems to be officially-produced footage of the concert (akin to the 'Evening at Pops' series), of which only a few short minutes have been released. I don't know about others, but I'd be happy to pay money to see the full concert video.

Thanks, amigo. Shucks, that's some cool runnings there. The AFM strikes again!

Beautiful arrangement, glad to have it in better quality! Interesting that he's gone back to his earlier love themes and given them new spins, way older into his life. Almost like he's going through an old scrapbook with photos of his past sweethearts, flames come and gone.

I got to listen to this live on a drive back from the city last night.  Very special way to spend a long drive.  Orchestra sounded great.

I'd never heard that flute version of the Sugarland Express theme.  Really bizarre sounding after so many years listening to the S/W Collaboration recording!

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

WTF, so they broadcast it once and now it's basically never going to be heard again? How stupid! Why would they get rid of the on-demand accessibility?!?

Shortsighted and shithouse decision, considering half the world was asleep when this streamed!

Sleep is overrated. When a Williams concert gets broadcast, I never sleep.

3 hours ago, zoltan_902 said:

Rights issues I suppose. What puzzles me even more is that there seems to be officially-produced footage of the concert (akin to the 'Evening at Pops' series), of which only a few short minutes have been released. I don't know about others, but I'd be happy to pay money to see the full concert video.

Footage of this concerts (and also at Tanglewood) has been the norm for years.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Thanks to some fans here, the broadcast have been "saved" for the archives. ;)

Phewww.

Next time I'll do like Miguel!

Are you suggesting I need to ask for a PM :sarcasm:

I recorded most of the concert, missed the opening and half of close encounters, then i stopped at to lenny and didn't get the imperial march (as I thought i'd get a better quality download later anyways...and i was antsy to listen to Han Solo & The Princess again)

2 hours ago, ins said:

Are you suggesting I need to ask for a PM :sarcasm:

I suggest that if you don't already have the recording in your hand, you have to make new friends!

7 hours ago, Fal said:

Here is Han Solo and the Princess, from my recording of the stream, I wasn't able to get Adventures of Han.

@Fal, a thousand and one thank yous!  I can't believe I missed the concert last night!  I've been so disorganized lately.

As for the piece, it is simply marvelous.  One of the best things he has ever written.   

well, this piece is officially awesome and one of my favorite Williams concert versions ever

Has nothing to do with the poor performance with shit sound quality that was posted 2 months ago on you tube

And for once the sound quality is "near studio recording" and I don't hear anyone coughing

the first minute or so seems a bit distant compared to the rest of the piece. I might try to adjust the volume a bit

oh yeah and in this concert Adventures of Han sounds quite different than the OST and it's played a lot slower

I'm sad they edited out Wilkins' introduction of the Indiana Jones pieces - he and I had a hilarious-and-odd conversation from the podium about the series during both nights. :lol:

I loved hearing Williams' intro for "A Child's Tale."  He doesn't view it as a medley of melodic material from the movie, but a discreet composition with its own expressive musical narrative.

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd never heard that flute version of the Sugarland Express theme.  Really bizarre sounding after so many years listening to the S/W Collaboration recording!

Hey experts... is it a new arrangement or the first performance of it?

27 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Hey experts... is it a new arrangement or the first performance of it?

This flute version has been around for a while. There’s a YouTube video of Williams conducting it with the Boston Pops in Japan in the 90s, and I’ve been to at least one concert where it was performed. 

On 28.5.2018 at 4:46 PM, Iilovejw said:

This past August, the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the Players of the Boston Symphony and their local union, local 9-535, agreed to a three-year contract that included provisions for local radio and live streaming. Unfortunately, regional radio and on demand streaming fall under the jurisdiction of the American Federation of Musicians. Although the national agreement expired in April, negotiations for a successor contract will only begin in October. Consequently, regional broadcasts of Boston Symphony Orchestra concerts will not be available until the negotiations between the American Federation of Musicians and the Employer association have been completed. We apologize for the inconvenience."

As you know, our blockade is perfectly legal and we'd be happy to receive the ambassadors.

So,

Do we have to expect the same situation for the next Tanglewood concerts?

There is the Film Night in Tanglewood

and also the premiere of a new piece from Williams (Can't rmember if it will be the "On Parade" concert or an other one).

"Highwood Ghost" will have two performances, one on the Bernstein centennial concert, another on "Tanglewood on Parade". The former should be broadcast, as it is during the weekend, but the later I have no idea. Since 2014, WCRB doesn't broadcasts "Tanglewood on Parade", though they produced the recording for other stations between 2014 and 2017 (also in 2014, "ToP" never went on-demand). With the changes going on, one can't be sure about what will be happening this summer.

• 8 months later...