John Williams nominated for 51st Oscar, for "The Last Jedi"

Bowie

I do remember finding the film somewhat boring, but I love the score. And there are certain scenes -- e.g. the beautiful finale -- that I rewatch on YouTube a lot. 

LOL, I wrote "TO ME" that's the same thing as IMO.... Lord, you people need a smack on the head and a joint :)

John Williams winning another Oscar for whatever but not winning for Prisoner of Azkaban would be a scandal.

Prisoner and Geisha were like the last hope for him winning another Oscar, as were Basic Instinct and Mulan for Goldsmith. Neither happened.

Besides, is it coincidence that the huge box office success  Dunkirk got so many nominations, but the flop Blade Runner 2049 did not?

since that #$%#%#$ year when Geisha dind't win, I noticed how the academy members don't even listen the scores.... the oscar suck and lately they just give it to the guy that sounds foreign/exotic, or because of only ONE tune in ONE scene (Up!), or to the movie that is in fashion... that being said, it will obviously go to the very average score of The Shape of Water, a very bland OST considering the author

10 hours ago, Lewya said:

Alex Ross, probably the finest music critic around says Williams deserves to win:

I do not know who this Alex Ross dude is but I agree with him, TLJ is amazing. Still underrated here.

9 hours ago, TheFifthBeatle said:

since that #$%#%#$ year when Geisha dind't win, I noticed how the academy members don't even listen the scores.... the oscar suck and lately they just give it to the guy that sounds foreign/exotic, or because of only ONE tune in ONE scene (Up!), or to the movie that is in fashion... that being said, it will obviously go to the very average score of The Shape of Water, a very bland OST considering the author

In sharp contrast to the loyal fan, who would hand out all trophies and probably a Nobel prize, too, for every Star Wars, Home Alone or Indiana Jones sequel score. Finally, a just world.

prizes are pointless.  It seems the consensus around here is that there is no such thing as objective quality to music, only subjective reaction.  So, who cares what some prize committee has a nice subjective reaction to? 

34 minutes ago, Tom said:

prizes are pointless.  It seems the consensus around here is that there is no such thing as objective quality to music, only subjective reaction.  So, who cares what some prize committee has a nice subjective reaction to? 

Of course there are objective criteria for different sets of qualities a piece music possesses (not least its place within a certain repertoire), even if people on the internet are outraged by the notion.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Too bad there's not a Nobel Price for music... not to mention film music. ;)

True, but the Polar Music Prize has long since been the equivalent of a Nobel prize for music (Morricone was a recipient a few years ago).

On ‎23‎.‎1‎.‎2018 at 11:55 PM, king mark said:

We never had a JWfan oscar win celebration

If he would win that never will happen here because TLJ is so dissappointing, missed opportunity:eh: according to the wannabe(bad) composers here. Learn you lessons.

Someone doesn't have to be a good composer to review and criticize with composure and as unaffected by personal fodness or hate as can be, another composer.

Classical composers are the subject of critique all the time. But noone needs to write like Mozart to criticize Mozart.

I think it is pretty much impossible that JW will get another oscar for a Star Wars score (but would love to be proven wrong).  Most acknowledge his work is substantial and masterful but feel it has already received its popular recognition.  JW is really an institution at this point.  Another oscar will have no impact on his career and I think that leaves a bad taste with the academy voters even thought they recognize his talents.

12 minutes ago, karelm said:

I think it is pretty much impossible that JW will get another oscar for a Star Wars score (but would love to be proven wrong).  Most acknowledge his work is substantial and masterful but feel it has already received its popular recognition.  JW is really an institution at this point.  Another oscar will have no impact on his career and I think that leaves a bad taste with the academy voters even thought they recognize his talents.

I think this is exactly right.  What has irritated me over the years is that the Oscars claim to seek to award the best performance, movie, score, etc., but of course it is nakedly obvious that other factors override such considerations.  If the Academy just stated there actual criteria, I would be fine with it.  Otherwise, it just amounts to old phrase "don't piss on me and claim it is raining."  

yes, I don't care anymore since the example I gave, and I agree that TLJ is a little underrated...I think it's amazing and lovely

21 hours ago, publicist said:

In sharp contrast to the loyal fan, who would hand out all trophies and probably a Nobel prize, too, for every Star Wars, Home Alone or Indiana Jones sequel score. Finally, a just world.

hehehe ahmmm, i know that Shape of the Water will win... but I REALLY think that JW deserves it lol!!!!

also, i'e noticed there is NO LOVE in here for Giacchino... but Coco was just amazing, I'm sorry but it is!!!

No, he doesn't. And neither does Giacchino, who relies heavily on mexican traditionals and hardly has written more than a line-up of short bridging cues. It's just that hugely successful Pixar movie. Ferdinand, while not even nominated, is a far more accomplished example of that idiom.

6 hours ago, karelm said:

Another oscar will have no impact on his career and I think that leaves a bad taste with the academy voters even thought they recognize his talents.

Well, they did give it to Morricone a few years ago.

Since things in the real world seldom are as clear-cut i wager the poster meant 'in addition of having bagged 5 AA's already', which will not be lost on Academy members.

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Someone doesn't have to be a good composer to review and criticize with composure and as unaffected by personal fodness or hate as can be, another composer.

Classical composers are the subject of critique all the time. But noone needs to write like Mozart to criticize Mozart.

Yeah, Mozart. He didn't write anything but average in his older days. And too many notes!!!

1 hour ago, TheFifthBeatle said:

yes, I don't care anymore since the example I gave, and I agree that TLJ is a little underrated...I think it's amazing and lovely

hehehe ahmmm, i know that Shape of the Water will win... but I REALLY think that JW deserves it lol!!!!

also, i'e noticed there is NO LOVE in here for Giacchino... but Coco was just amazing, I'm sorry but it is!!!

On balance, it is kinda ridiculous that Gia has 2 nominations in his career. The most underrepresented of his brethren. I like his work and it is of a better quality than most of the dreck that gets nominated. Like take something like three billboards. Does that have any prayer of being nominated if it were not for a best picture favorite? Or even The Hurt Locker (which is a movie I love).

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

On balance, it is kinda ridiculous that Gia has 2 nominations in his career. The most underrepresented of his brethren. I like his work and it is of a better quality than most of the dreck that gets nominated. Like take something like three billboards. Does that have any prayer of being nominated if it were not for a best picture favorite? Or even The Hurt Locker (which is a movie I love).

It's been many, many years since the five best scores of the year actually comprised the Best Score nominees. As you point out, nowadays they just shoehorn in nominations for whatever the favoured Best Picture nominees are, regardless of the score's quality.

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He's already won the bloody darn thing. I'm sure he's content with that at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Desplat is the very definition of that. Out of his 9 nominations - 8 are for best picture nominees. And one is for an animated film nominee.

Which just shows he's the ultimate coaster. He just picks his movies strategically rather than write super great scores. That's not to say he's completely useless but he's over-nominated just as Gia is under-nominated. And just nominating Desplat scores for Best Picture nominees does not capture his best or most interesting work.

Well that's some real funny logic.

Desplat has a vast filmography that ranges big blockbusters and small Oscar-bait dramas. So he's been typecast as one of the go-to guys for a certain type of drama, hardly makes him the "coaster", or "useless" for that matter.

Gia, in my opinion, has received fair attention from the Academy. I agree that the nominations are often more generous with Desplat than they should be, but hey, that's the nature of awards season.