Before I share my full review of the Star Wars: The Last Jedi OST, does anyone have any specific moments in the soundtrack that they would wish to highlight in this discussion?

Additionally, does anyone know the name of the recurring theme in Star Wars The Last Jedi. I believe it to be Finn and Rose's theme. Any ideas?

EDIT: It's Rose's theme.

12 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Also, does anyone know the name of the recurring theme in Star Wars The Last Jedi. I believe it to be Finn and Rose's theme. ANy ideas?

Its Rose's theme. It of course applies to her entire storyline, which of course involves Finn, but the theme is undeniably hers.

Makes sense. That's what I seemed to think. 

Here's my first review-

Main Title and Escape

I really liked the beginning of the movie. The way the opening sequences played out was much to my liking. The main theme intertwined with a hurried Resistance theme makes a perfect opening. As the ships are departing, the Dreadnought pulls in. This is one of my favorite parts of the movie. It truly is a captivating opening sequence. The resistance bombers pulling in was a very good shift in the mood too. It turned the scene from First Order domination to a reasonable fight from the Resistance. The soundtrack caters to the scene as the pace picks up. After listening to Main Title and Attack on Jakku Village, from The Force Awakens, I realized some similarity between the two. They both follow this line- Main Title Theme, Great transition as its eases into the movie, Resistance Theme, First Order battle sequences, Kylo Ren and First Order Theme as each ship enters bluntly. Despite these similarities, I was very happy with the difference in The Last Jedi. I believe it is the greatest soundtrack ever written by John Williams. I loved the nostalgia in the movie and the soundtrack really helps balance the new and the old out. No doubt one of the best opening scenes film wise and music wise. I would say it rivals The Revenge of the Sith's opening battle.

Here's my next review.

Ahch-To Island

In terms of the movie, I really liked Ahch-To. I had nothing wrong with the Luke Skywalker portrayed in this movie because it was completely justified through Ben Solo's betrayal. In terms of the music in this piece, Rey's Theme accompanies the same Ahch-To Theme from The Force Awakens' The Jedi Steps and Finale. My favorite part of this piece thoug, is the music that goes with Luke's little routine. From the obese, Tatooine-callback cows, to the exhilarating strings when Luke jumps on the  pole and grabs a whopping goober fish. The music here will never die. The visual sequences of this movie were very complex, and I believe that John Williams made an equally impressive soundtrack. I think we all know how much Williams admires Rey's Theme, and he used it to its fullest in this movie. Ahch-To Island is another beautiful example of John Williams complex cinematic symphonic abilities.

lj4.jpg 

As a whole, this soundtrack can be summed up in this photo. Total domination. John Williams takes a movie and owns it once again.

Revisiting Snoke

While I did what Snoke to pone everyone, I was content with his (spoiler) demise. I thought his power was displayed enough, but I was still shocked in the end. This scene makes Snoke look like he could care less about Kylo Ren. He even pokes at his whole "apparatus". The music is pretty much Snoke's chanting from TFA. There are some light shoots of Kylo Ren's theme, particularly the second part of his theme, which then turns to a dark and quiet Imperial March, more appropriately called Vader's Theme, considering the symbolism in the scene. This was one of my least favorite excerpts from the soundtrack, but it all blends well together in a mellow, foreboding way.

Kudos to my favorite actor Andy Serkis on another amazing CGI performance. Both Serkis and Williams have become game changers in their respective fields. Unfortunately, when Snoke says "Young Rey",mother ring just isn't the same as Young Skywalker. Also, half Snoke's lines were pitiful laughs. Another Star Wars villain I will not soon forget. Well done Andy, John!

snoke-db-history-tlj_eb8e7db2.jpeg?regio

The Supremacy 

Kylo Ren's Theme and the presence of the First Order are imminent in this piece. As the Resistance ship receives a shocking blow, propelling General Leia into the abyss, the music turns sorrowful. Leia's Theme then starts and turns into a triumphant March type rendition of her piece from A New Hope. I also had nothing wrong with Leia's act of the force here. I also would have been okay if this was her eventual end too. Now blasted JJ Abrams is in a pickle. Onc again, each theme is displayed with different tones and strengths, coming together as a whole to make another beautiful piece.

AH! I see. What a woman. (That's Hunchback of Notre Dame.)

Fun with Finn and Rose

Rose's apparent theme is the main carrying line of this piece. Tied in with some Resistance and Leia notes, it's a decent compilation of fimiliar and new themes.

Old Friends

This takes place during Luke's reunion with R2. The piece itself is a bit quiet, but the mood changes as R2 makes his cheap shot (cue Leia Theme).

The Rebellion is Reborn

This is one of the excerpts I payed least attention too. It was good, with Rose's theme appearing again, and it had a very nice ending. I'm impressed how Williams blends themes from all sorts of Star Wars movies with new ones.

Lesson One

Luke's lesson to Rey is accompanied by her theme, the Force theme from ANH's Binary Sunset, and some interesting sounds as she slips off into her vision.

Canto Bight

While many people disliked this whole side story, I believe it gave another element to the movie. Canto Bight felt like the suped up version of the Mos Eisley cantina, and the music followed suit. I never thought Williams would go back and do something quite like this piece. Some people vomited on the nostalgia in this movie. Shout out to everyone who embraced it.

Who Are You?

I don't really have much to say about this one. It was really quiet in my headphones. 

The Fathiers

While I wasn't crazy about these sad cows or their Phantom Menace echoing child slaves, the music during this chase through Canto Bight is great. I loved the shots Rian Johnson got in Dubrovnik! The high end Galaxy goers are just superb. As this piece closes, Rose's theme puts the cherry on top.

The Cave

As I listened to this, I wrote in my notepad "Quiet, now building..." and that was it.

That was exactly what this scene was like. Surmounting, surmounting and then nothing. So I guess the music is appropriate but again it was sort of quiet.

I'll continue my review with the Sacred Jedi Texts, where I'll talk about a surprise OT cameo, as well as some further insight as to what nostalgia means for this new trilogy.

So far, The Spark is my favourite track -the use of Luke & Leia, Han Solo & the Princess and then that music as Luke leaves to go outside and the climax which has echoes of the Imperial theme. Not altogether sold on Rose's Theme, sounds like something done before I can't place -such are my ears but the whole score is gradually growing on me.

3 hours ago, Strangways said:

So far, The Spark is my favourite track -the use of Luke & Leia, Han Solo & the Princess and then that music as Luke leaves to go outside and the climax which has echoes of the Imperial theme. Not altogether sold on Rose's Theme, sounds like something done before I can't place -such are my ears but the whole score is gradually growing on me.

I do enjoy the Spark. My favorite part of that is when Luke emerges from the base onto the bloodied battlefield. Great music. I also really liked the Main Title and Escape as well as The Battle of Crait, The Last Jedi and Ahch-To Island.

The Last Jedi Soundtrack Review (cont.)

The Sacred Jedi Texts

This piece takes place when Luke is going to burn down the Sacred Tree. The Force Theme, or Binary Sunset, is imminent throughout. One of the best moments in the movie is when the camera moves across and the back of Yoda is visible. Beautiful photography that rolls in with a light Yoda theme, which picks up to be more triumphant as he talks and causes lightning to burn the tree. I have been told that Rey took the books with her on the Falcon. Yoda, knowing this, burnt the tree with Luke thinking they were still inside. This is apparently what Luke wants to do in the first place but there is something deeper to it. As this happens Yoda's theme becomes the main part of this piece. 

As I mentioned earlier, I am now going to talk about the importance of nostalgia in this new trilogy. I loved the nostalgia in this movie. Looking back, The Last Jedi was a lot of heart warming, not necessarily story defining nostalgia that shaped certain parts of the film. I prefer this over JJ's "Let's do this again but with different characters". I am always going to love Star Wars. TFA was great but with every movie there are problems. Anyways, The Last Jedi's visionary nostalgia was matched perfectly by a nostalgaic soundtrack (in parts) but as I said earlier, Williams perfect mix of old OT themes, TFA themes, and completely new stuff was great (see The Battle of Crait Review, coming up).

A New Alliance

Best scene in the movie! Rip Snoke, my favorite guy that could do stuff. The music Williams composed here builds up to Snoke's eventual demise. Well done , Williams but its not my favorite. I feel like this is the one thing you could have done better. 

Chrome Dome

Finn-Captain-Phasma-Duel.png

An exciting scene after another one of the best scenes in the movie. 12 SECONDS OF SILENCE. Thanks Rian, for the creative affect and awesome idea. My friends say Leia should have taken the sacrifice and it would have really been ripping and emotional. Enough of that though. Chrome Dome sees a sorrowful beginning, followed by epic battle music and great Star Wars war drums!

The Battle of Crait

One of my favorite tracks in the soundtrack. It includes loads of Resistance themes in different settings, epic battle music, and some more nostalgaic sounds. As the Falcon enters the battle, the Falcon trumpets, a neat rendition of Rey's theme, and the best part- that A New Hope feel from Here They Come or TIE Fighter Attack (depending on what soundtrack you own). Then the sorrowful music as Finn goes off into the cannon. Should have died. There was not enough of that in the movie. Sorry Finn fans.

Peace and Purpose

This was a super emotional part of the movie. Luke stares into the binary sunset... Picture Williams as he watched this scene.

"Yes!!!"-John Williams

Finale

Leia's Theme when it says to our princess Carrie Fisher. -Theatre claps- I'm happy I watched this movie with such a great atmosphere!

Like I was saying......the music is SUPER. everything else about this movie is SHIT!!!! I'm like joyful of this stupid JWFAN members defend this movie. I don't give a s-it.This forum has gone to s-ith a long time ago........ ;)

21 minutes ago, MAG-SI said:

Like I was saying......the music is SUPER. everything else about this movie is SHIT!!!! I'm like joyful of this stupid JWFAN members defend this movie. I don't give a s-it.This forum has gone to s-ith a long time ago........ ;)

Obvious troll is obvious.

9 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

Typical, like someone that does not agree with you. Typical American.... What if I am black and trans? You're thrown in a philosophical (identity) fuckfest! You don't know...