JW conducting The Last Jedi (VIDEO)

Dzadza

Cool to see, but if we want to get nitpicky (and don’t we always in these forums?), there’s a couple major issues with this take:

1. The second cymbal crash around 0:26 is a beat later than it should be

2. Trumpet intonation starting around 1:08 is pretty bad

Who said it's a perfect take? The original Star Wars Main Title as it's in the '77 movie is assembled from 3-4 different takes, they could've done that here but for some reason didn't.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Did JW record the main title again for TLJ? I thought the one from TFA was used.

It seems they recorded it, but ended up not using it :(

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Did JW record the main title again for TLJ?

Yes.  That's literally what the video in the main post of this thread you're in shows.

I thought the one from TFA was used.

It was.  We don't know why a TLJ recording wasn't used.

By the way, 90% of material in this thread that people mention as new was already linked in some other thread. I'm also starting to see our 90.000 threads for TLJ as a bit of a problem.

My personal opinion is that a new version of the main theme was used in the film but not the OST.  As to exactly why that was, I do not know.   They probably recorded many versions and picked the one that they felt was the most superior for the film and for a listening experience and those might not have been the same. 

6 hours ago, Holko said:

By the way, 90% of material in this thread that people mention as new was already linked in some other thread. I'm also starting to see our 90.000 threads for TLJ as a bit of a problem.

you think it's bad. you weren't around before the LotR sub forum was created

At least it's related to JW

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes.  That's literally what the video in the main post of this thread you're in shows.

Well, theoretically it could have been JW practicing with the orchestra at the recording sessions of TFA.

We know the final version was conducted by Dudamel. 

Well, theoretically it could have been JW practicing with the orchestra at the recording sessions of TFA.

Well that's obviously not the case, considering Rian Johnson didn't attend The Force Awakens recording sessions, and the film itself is timestamped December 2016.

To echo someone else's thoughts, I've only seen the film once but I swear the film version was close but not identical to TFA's recording. The album is a different story though, obviously the same recording lifted wholesale.

The really sad thing is the strings are more defined in this tinny phone recording than in TFA's high definition mix. :mellow:

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Well that's obviously not the case, considering Rian Johnson didn't attend The Force Awakens recording sessions, and the film itself is timestamped December 2016.

To echo someone else's thoughts, I've only seen the film once but I swear the film version was close but not identical to TFA's recording. The album is a different story though, obviously the same recording lifted wholesale.

The really sad thing is the strings are more defined in this tinny phone recording than in TFA's high definition mix. :mellow:

Anyway, the LSO Main Title recordings are the best. ;)

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anyway, the LSO Main Title recordings are the best. ;)

I initially thought so too. But the one thing that irks me slightly about the LSO recording is that you can't really hear the fanfare-y trumpet accompaniment. That's really a bummer.

In this regard, the TFA recording is better.

Different recording, but I'm talking about the one that plays in this video at 0:59 - 1:06. I've always absolutely loved this.

In the prequels LSO recording, this is barely audible. 

In the TFA (and TLJ) recording, it's softer, but still audible. At 0:59-1:05.

However in the prequels recordings it's all but lost. It should start at 0:58 but we barely hear it.

It's definitely there in the prequel one, too, you just have to listen for it, you wouldn't notice it otherwise.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

It's definitely there in the prequel one, too, you just have to listen for it, you wouldn't notice it otherwise.

I didn't say it's not there. Of course it's there. It's just mixed so softly, you can barely hear it! Which sucks.

But apart from that, the LSO prequels recording is top-notch! 

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Good point, but to me it has a sufficient presence in the ROTJ Main Title.

The original trilogy is not the problem. These recordings are perfectly fine. :)

Damn, I had hoped the video would capture something else than the umpteenth recording of the main title. Even if I'm not too fond of the score, I would have loved to see him conduct one of the more narrative pieces.

17 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

Since Gustavo Dudamel was the credited conductor of the TFA Main Title, and they reused it for TLJ, shouldn’t he have been credited again in TLJ’s booklet and the end credits?

Not if he doesn't want credit.

I don't think Dudamel get royalities for it, he only particpated because JW asked him, it was a kind of "gift". 

But, I agree, for the posterity, he should have been mentioned in the booklet.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Same here.  I also believe the TLJ film version is the TFA recording but perhaps mixed differently since it has a "punchier" sound in TLJ.  I guess we'll be able to end this speculation once the Blu-ray is released.

It's not a speculation, we've (and I personally) superposed and compared the two WAV from the OSTs. It's defintely the same recording.

In the movie I don't know.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Damn, I had hoped the video would capture something else than the umpteenth recording of the main title. Even if I'm not too fond of the score, I would have loved to see him conduct one of the more narrative pieces.

That was my first thought too!

Hopefully in the extras of the DVD and Bluray. 

18 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's not a speculation, we've (and I personally) superposed and compared the two WAV from the OSTs. It's defintely the same recording.

In the movie I don't know.

Right, I was referring to the film version, not the OST.  The film version sounds the same as the OST to my ears but punchier.

Logistically, it's better to use a previously recorded Main Theme take, as the timing of each opening crawl will be exactly the same length. JW is first, probably sick of recording it (I mean really recording a totally "perfect" version from the beginning to the end). Secondly, it's one thing less to think about when you edit the visual of the opening crawl.

I don't know why the movie version would not be the Dudamel's one...

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Different recording, but I'm talking about the one that plays in this video at 0:59 - 1:06. I've always absolutely loved this.

In the prequels LSO recording, this is barely audible. 

In the TFA (and TLJ) recording, it's softer, but still audible. At 0:59-1:05.

However in the prequels recordings it's all but lost. It should start at 0:58 but we barely hear it.

Another bit of difference in the new recording that I was surprised to notice only recently (I didn't when TFA came out) is the two bars at roughly 0:43 - In the LSO recordings (especially the prequels one) the most prominent thing by far is the same-note "dum dadadadaah" in the trombones, where in the new one, this is barely audible, while instead a short repeated-chord-triplet horn figure is very in-your-face here... would be interesting to know if this is just due to different mikeing setup, Dudamels interpretation, or a deliberate changed detail by Williams...

On 1/25/2018 at 1:29 PM, ChrisAfonso said:

Another bit of difference in the new recording that I was surprised to notice only recently (I didn't when TFA came out) is the two bars at roughly 0:43 - In the LSO recordings (especially the prequels one) the most prominent thing by far is the same-note "dum dadadadaah" in the trombones, where in the new one, this is barely audible, while instead a short repeated-chord-triplet horn figure is very in-your-face here... would be interesting to know if this is just due to different mikeing setup, Dudamels interpretation, or a deliberate changed detail by Williams...

The same can be said about the Empire version. The horns are even more prominent in that one.