Awesome Score - Awful Movie

Brundlefly

Name the best examples of awful movies with awesome scores.

Is there even a score that you like so much that you don't want to watch the movie, as it could possibly spoil the score for you?

Plenty of examples here -- Goldsmith's filmography alone is worth the ticket!

But just last year, there were several examples of great scores for bad movies -- VICEROY'S HOUSE (Rahman), BITTER HARVEST (Wallfisch) BRIMSTONE (JXL) and THE CIRCLE (Elfman) were all in my Top 10 Score list of the year, but the films ranged from mediocre (THE CIRCLE) to really bad (the rest).

Honestly, up to date, I'm not a big fan of these movies, but I love the JW's scores:

• Jaws 2;
  • 1941;
  • Midway (So boring that I never finished the movie);
  • Hook (I only see all the #fails in this movie, and there are many);
  • Black Sunday (The final scene is so badly technically executed that it scraps the movie entirely).

I must admit that I'm not a big big fan of the scores too... Anyway, not the way they appear on the OST.

First, I'm totally sick if hearing the concert versions of Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme (the worst theme JW ever wrote for a Star Wars... after all the Ewoks music, maybe), I can't stand them anymore.

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Anakin's Theme (the worst theme JW ever wrote for a Star Wars... after all the Ewoks music, maybe), I can't stand them anymore.

What!? It's such a great theme! It feels exactly like a child's adventure theme, and the fact that it uses almost every note that exists in the scale, plus the ending that sounds like Vader's theme... I find it just perfect. 

52 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Has nobody mentioned the prequel trilogy yet?

Specifically Attack of the Clones. Its one of the (if not the most) lesser Star Wars scores, anyway, but its still so much better than the movie it accompanies. Its one of the greatest dissonances of visuals and audio in the history of the motion picture.

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

Fair enough.

Wait, are we talking about the movie that ends with a "major" variation of the Emperor's Theme?

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Lionheart

First Knight

The Swarm

The Ghost and the Darkness

Legend

Rambo III

I sometimes have no clue where Goldsmith gets his inspiration from. I mean, Legend at least provides great visuals, but Rambo III?

So far, there are just two movies that I don't wanna watch:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Night Crossing

Both are so perfect scores that catapult me into another world while listening to them, but it's not the shitty films' world but the world that the music creates on its own.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea I guess the SW prequels win, I forgot about them somehow

They are way better than the movies I've mentioned, but they still deserve to be in this list. The visuals are still a great source of inspiration.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The Hobbit trilogy

WTF? You don't think the scores are awesome and the movies are awful, do you?

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Wait, are we talking about the movie that ends with a "major" variation of the Emperor's Theme?

That's absolutely magnificent too!

Another one that springs to mind: Supergirl. Not a teriffic score, but light-years ahead of the film it accompanies. One of the worst Hollywood films ever made.

2 hours ago, Luka said:

The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard!

Oh, yes. I forgot that one.

Its a clever narrative device, but the execution is severely lacking and to this day the intention (or lack thereof) behind it remains unknown.

Worst JW's artistic decision ever, ex-aequo with quoting the Emperor's Theme again in TLJ.

LEAVE THIS THEME ALONE!!!

Just now, Bespin said:

Worst JW's artistically decision ever ex-aequo with quoting the Emperor's Theme again in TLJ.

LEAVE THIS THEME ALONE!!!

Ok, I see why you would think that for TLJ, unless there's something that links to him that we don't know about yet, but in TPM, Palpatine is very present! 

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Ok, I see why you would think that for TLJ, unless there's something that links to him that we don't know about yet, but in TPM, Palpatine is very present! 

The last thing TPM needed was a "phantom" theme!

I see why you would think that for TLJ, unless there's something that links to him that we don't know about yet.

If you don't know about such a link, John Williams doesn't know about it either.  The man doesn't read scripts (and even if he did, there was nothing written about Episode IX when he was scoring the picture), he just shows up and sees the movie.

Just now, Bespin said:

The last thing TPM needed was a "phantom" theme!

Oh exactly!! I never thought of that, thank you for pointing it out; it's even the title of the movie! The Phantom Menace! (Darth Sidious). So I think it's a great move from John Williams to end with a disguised emperor's theme!

Just now, Chen G. said:

If you don't know about such a link, John Williams doesn't know about it either.  The man doesn't read scripts (and even if he did, there was nothing decided on Episode IX when he was scoring the picture), he just shows up and sees the movie.

No, he must have known! Why would he have done that otherwise!? And by pure chance, it fitted perfectly with what the story was heading to!? No.

6 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Awesome score - awesome movie is far more rare IMO

Alien

Chinatown

Under Fire

The Russia House

L.A. Confidential

The Mission

Once Upon a Time in America

Once Upon a Time in the West

JFK

Schindler's List

The Prisoner of Azkaban

The Empire Strikes Back

Amistad

Not to mention Braveheart, Titanic, the Middle Earth films, the better Star Wars episodes, etcetra.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

He's cute, he still have expectations about Episode IX!

Expectations are one thing, but to assume that there's some master-plan behind the plotting of these episodes that we don't know about, especially when it has been proven time and again that there is none, and to assume that John "I-don't-read-scripts" Williams is in on such a plan, if ever there was one - now, that's truly "cute".

So you're saying that John Williams always just played around not knowing what he was doing!?

And by random chance, it happened that it all fit perfectly together and what he played with actually made a lot of sense afterward, even if he didn't know if it would!? 

I'm sorry, but when I see such brilliant links and hidden things in his compositions, I can't possibly think that he doesn't know about them in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Luka said:

So you're saying that John Williams always just played around not knowing what he was doing!?

YES! THAT, AND NOTHING BUT THAT!

For the original Star Wars, Williams wrote a love theme for Luke and Leia! He didn't know better, and how could he have? George Lucas had no idea they were brother and sister, either!

Williams has no clue whatsoever what's going to happen in the episode after the one he is scoring: its true of any episode of each of the three trilogies. Nor does he really care.

Just now, Chen G. said:

For the original Star Wars, Williams wrote a love theme for Luke and Leia!

What love theme!?

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

They didn't ultimately use it, but he did write one.

Oh! I didn't know that! It hasn't been released anywhere though? :(

I think, that it's bullshit, the intended Love theme between Luke and Leai is indeed the Princess Leia's Theme.

JW told in a recent concert that this theme is maybe too sensual as a theme for Leia's but he didn't know at the time, that Luke was his brother.

I say thanks to George Luca's lie (or silence about that part)!

It may well be that Williams was misremembering. The first that he mentioned it was here, and he even seems to misremember the time gap between the films, because Leia was only reimagined as Luke's sister during the scripting of Return of the Jedi, so it would have been much later than "two years" after the original Star Wars.

Nonetheless, the point still stands. These films were not planned from the outset, and even if they were, I doubt if Williams would have bothered looking into such a story outline if there was one.

The closest to such a planned trilogy would have been the Star Wars prequels, but even then all that was planned was the most rudimentary contuor of the plot: the finer plot points (which are what matters) were made up as he went along. And even at that point, Williams wasn't too interested with the overarching plot. If he was, we would have had an embryonic form of "Across the Stars" in The Phantom Menace - and we don't.

Williams thought Luke was Rey's father (perhaps jokingly) but yeah, it seems he knows nothing. 

The use of the Emperor's theme could have been in the temp track or because the scene is similar to the ROTJ torture scene or both.

49 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It may well be that Williams was misremembering. The first that he mentioned it was here, and he even seems to misremember the time gap between the films, because Leia was only reimagined as Luke's sister during the scripting of Return of the Jedi, so it would have been much later than "two years" after the original Star Wars.

Nonetheless, the point still stands. These films were not planned from the outset, and even if they were, I doubt if Williams would have bothered looking into such a story outline if there was one.

The closest to such a planned trilogy would have been the Star Wars prequels, but even then all that was planned was the most rudimentary contuor of the plot: the finer plot points (which are what matters) were made up as he went along. And even at that point, Williams wasn't too interested with the overarching plot. If he was, we would have had an embryonic form of "Across the Stars" in The Phantom Menace - and we don't.

I find it highly unlikely that by the release of Empire they did not know that Leia was Luke's sister. Doesn't the finale hinge on Leia using Force to track Luke (I haven't seen the film in ages so I might be completely misremembering).