Hans Zimmer - X:Men: Dark Phoenix

Fancyarcher

I never spend any time trying to understand the nuances or continuity of the X-Men films. It will only lead to disappointment and irreconcilable issues. It is a film franchise in dire need of a massive reboot. I have zero enthusiasm for anything connected to it right now. Except Legion, but that doesn't count. And it's made by Noah Hawley, who is quite possibly a genius.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

I've never really enjoyed Ottman's scores, it wasn't until Powell's Last Stand that I seriously thought about the music for the franchise and wondered why on earth they didn't stick with him for the rest of the series...

The Ottman scores are pretty consistently shitty

I'm disappointed. Kinberg has produced a lot more films than he wrote and those films were scored by many different composers. Hell, he even produced Branagh's past two films, Cinderella and Murder on the Orient Express!

He could've gone with a safe choice like Beltrami, Ottman, or even Patrick Doyle if he wanted to. But he had to pick the stereotypical choice...

57 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I'm disappointed. Kinberg has produced a lot more films than he wrote and those films were scored by many different composers. Hell, he even produced Branagh's past two films, Cinderella and Murder on the Orient Express!

He could've gone with a safe choice like Beltrami, Ottman, or even Patrick Doyle if he wanted to. But he had to pick the stereotypical choice...

Beltrami is utter garbage. He is the worst composer to consistently get huge projects. Doyle is super talented and would be an interesting choice. And I am ok with Ottman returning.

Obviously, as a huge Zimmer fan, I am happy he got this project, but there are 2 dozen composers I would pick before I pick Beltrami. 

I honestly don't know why Zimmer is doing Dark Phoenix. Did Kinberg want him badly, did Zimmer like the script or was he 'forced' on Kinberg due to Fox wanting a top name?

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

At Zimmer's age and stage of his career, shouldn't he be pursuing more serious projects rather than the 11th installment in a dying franchise?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Maybe he wanted another wing added to his mansion.

Let's be honest here; he has had one hell of a career. 

- Won an Oscar and got nominated lots of times. So the critical acclaim is there and despite fanbases, artists themselves don't seem to care that much about awards.

- Wrote music loved by millions all over the world (so much so he could do a damn tour); it's ingrained in pop-culture. Hell, they play his stuff during the biggest events in the world (Champions League final for example).

- Changed the musical landscape in Hollywood

- Worked with pretty much all the big directors out there save for a few

So, what would these 'serious projects' be and why pursue those? Maybe he just likes superhero movies. 

18 hours ago, Matt C said:

Financially, there is no safer choice for a hero movie that Zimmer these days. :sarcasm:

15 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

So, what would these 'serious projects' be and why pursue those? Maybe he just likes superhero movies. 

Overexposure is a double-edged knife. He's gotten overrecognized to the point of making a "rockstar" tour through the world, however, I know I have 99% chance of being wrong, but he run the risk of becoming a joke to the same world that embraces him today. So it's good to take two steps back, for caution.

• 1 year later...

Everyone has the right to express their OPINION on composers.... just like how I 99.9% dislike (hate is such a strong word) Hans Zimmer.  The fact he is scoring X-Men Dark Phoenix is disappointing to me.

I MYSELF for one love Ottman's X-Men scores, especially X2: X-Men united.

Marco Beltrami really isn't that great of a composer but he isn't that bad.  I really like his scores for Die Hard 4 and 5.

6 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Everyone has the right to express their OPINION on composers.... just like how I 99.9% dislike (hate is such a strong word) Hans Zimmer.  The fact he is scoring X-Men Dark Phoenix is disappointing to me.

I MYSELF for one love Ottman's X-Men scores, especially X2: X-Men united.

Marco Beltrami really isn't that great of a composer but he isn't that bad.  I really like his scores for Die Hard 4 and 5.

Your point being?

4 minutes ago, Trent B said:

There are like twenty X-Men films though so I don't see the problem with Zimmer getting a shot

55 minutes ago, mstrox said:

There have been a handful of good X-men scores, but no excellent X-men scores. A shame.  Probably won't be remedied by the fold into Disney/Marvel, either.

Powell's score for The Last Stand  is great.

It never grabbed me.  It has probably the best X theme, but I remember that theme being used pretty repetitiously,  also it had a ton of super short tracks.  It’s not one I put on often

Zimmer really needs to do shorter album tracks. What human beings can endure the monotone droning of each track for 5+ consecutive minutes?

Saw the movie... and Zimmer's score feels both tired and inappropriate. It feels like he phoned it in and no good riffs or motifs that you could latch onto like TASM2 or some of his Nolan work. The female vocals were interestingly utilized, nothing like Gladiator, but it just comes and goes. It's frustrating... and it makes me wary for Wonder Woman 1984.

The movie itself wasn't that bad, but Simon Kinberg made a mistake getting Zimmer. If he wanted someone from the MV/RC family, Dominic Lewis, John Powell or Henry Jackman would've done better.

I just think Zimmer is getting in a creative rut. He needs more projects and directors to inspire him to up his game.

Zimmer is without question the most popular composer in Hollywood. More than Williams I would say. If you did a poll on the streets, asking regular people who is their favorite film composer - Zimmer would win.

Hell if you even do a poll in the film industry, asking them their favorite composer - Zimmer would win. 

Even my snobby film critic like friends LOVE Zimmer.

Zimmer is empirically the most popular film composer on the planet after A.R. Rahman.