Here is what other composers are saying about John Williams

Lewya

3 hours ago, publicist said:

The bicycle music wasn't the only passage from E. T.'s tearful goodbye sequence that takes its cue from Hanson.

And while it's inevitable that such mentions arouse fan wrath, i always get a chuckle when that dreaded sentence appears 'JW did it better'...yeah sure, when your point of reference is a heart tugging movie from your formative years, sure, beats Hanson. But it's also true that such opinions are 99.99% held by guys who never listen to anything but film music and/or have little knowledge of the classical repertoire.

Well, that ain’t me because I listen to plenty of classical. I wouldn’t presume what anyone else does or doesn’t listen to because I would have no way of knowing, nor would I attempt to invalidate and gatekeep their opinions based on that info. 

5 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Well, that ain’t me because I listen to plenty of classical. I wouldn’t presume what anyone else does or doesn’t listen to because I would have no way of knowing, nor would I attempt to invalidate and gatekeep their opinions based on that info. 

It has nothing to do with gatekeeping to point out that such a comment is close-minded and ignorant. Guys who listen to Hanson et al. FIRST would of course recognize this music in E. T. but it's unlikely that their first reaction is 'gee, that's so much better than what Hanson did'. It's imho a typical fan reaction - in the worst sense.

In the meantime you can even mark it as a sign of quality, if there is even anything in the motion picture score that is relatable to anything significantly classical. 
But when it comes to originality in film music, I think, in a way it is in a way an easy field of work. First of all nowadays nobody seems to expect or demand anything significant or original in terms of themes or melodies or composition. And even if the composer creates something melodic, he or she can always claim, this was just supposed to serve the picture and not to be good or original music. So, there is always the easy way out, a backdoor that the composer of absolute music or other programmatic music doesn’t have.

I mean, it just takes out a lot of the pressure to be overly original. Ironically an environment where the creativity of crafts men like Williams blooms especially. 

• 2 months later...

More JW negativity, from the late contemporary classical composer Harrison Birtwistle:

"You know classical music has become debased. This is another subject, for another day. There's a battle somewhere, a desire for classical music to be simple, in two-minute sound bites. And people say, 'Why doesn't he/she write music like John Williams?' [Starts la-la-ing the theme tune to Star Wars.] You see. It's all two-minute soundbites. You know they play concerts, whole concerts, of this stuff...?"

Source: The book Harrison Birtwistle: Wild Tracks - A Conversation Diary with Fiona Maddocks (released in 2014).

1 hour ago, Aliandra said:

More JW negativity, from the late contemporary classical composer Harrison Birtwistle:

"You know classical music has become debased. This is another subject, for another day. There's a battle somewhere, a desire for classical music to be simple, in two-minute sound bites. And people say, 'Why doesn't he/she write music like John Williams?' [Starts la-la-ing the theme tune to Star Wars.] You see. It's all two-minute soundbites. You know they play concerts, whole concerts, of this stuff...?"

Source: The book Harrison Birtwistle: Wild Tracks - A Conversation Diary with Fiona Maddocks (released in 2014).

What I hate is when a person has to appeal to extreme exaggerations/falsehoods to make a point.  SW would be a five minute soundbite.  If accuracy does not help establish your point, maybe you don't have a good point.  Plus, you listen to a Beethoven symphony (which I really do like), and he will repeat the same damn 3 minute section without any real modification.   

4 hours ago, Aliandra said:

A06BBAD3-FADC-4CB1-8B8C-7C6CADEAE58E.gif

4 hours ago, Aliandra said:

I guess he was more of a Hans Zimmer guy?

I find Birtwistle's music interesting, but his point there is just confusing. Star Wars is film music, not classical music. Sure, it could pass as classical music, just like Stravinsky's ballets can pass as film music. But you can't say that Star Wars is representative of classical music. There are film music concerts, then there are classical music concerts. There are even LtP concerts...but it's not classical music. Listen to John Williams' classical music, then we'll talk!

(Or maybe more correct to say "concert" music instead of "classical" music)

I think, it is more a question, why contemporary composer 's music for the concert hall, including Williams' don't contain humable tunes anymore. Beethoven has it often, Brahms has it sometimes. Tchaikovsky.

But since the 20th century it is just the question of tonal or atonal. Humable tunes are for pop music.

There are a few exceptions of course. But at least in the 20th century film music preserved in a way the tradition of usage of "hit tunes" in orchestral music. 

Classic fans are humming Beethoven's ode to joy, Ravel's Bolero and Verdi's triumph march from Aida. Try that with any concert work from the past 60 years.

• 2 weeks later...

JW is a true gentleman.

He is the very epitome of the adage: "If you can't say anything good about someone, don't say anything at all".

The only time I've heard anything remotely "bad" about a fellow professional, is "I don't think I can work with that man", said about Richard Lester. Pretty scathing, huh? 

2 hours ago, Gibster said:

Are there any quotes about JW’s talking about any composers of recent years?

I remember him praising Thomas Adès in one of his recent interviews, but I can't recall which one that was.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Douglas Helvering absolutely gushes over Williams in this May 4 reaction video to... the heavy metal Imperial March performance by Galactic Empire. He usually does reactions to rock and heavier songs and instrumentalists like Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmstee etc. While it's the heavy metal version, he takes the time to explore why the Imperial March is so interesting and a little unusual harmonically. Since he normally explores heavier rock, it was nice surprise to hear him say he considers Williams is among the greats! Wish he would do more!