Let's Rescore Scenes! (Fun Thread)

I like how the friendlier part with the main theme starts exactly when Aragorn finds the leaf.

I wanted to start a thread like this for a while, what I've done is a bit different - scoring some unscored scenes by tracking music in from the same franchise. Here's my favourite bit (I've deleted my original, this is a recreation done in approximately 15 minutes - sorry about the picture quality, but my upload speeds are abysmal, we all know the scene already, and the audio is the main focus anyway) - the planning scene from BttF.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16NqEBjWHsseaY9B90pl3820t1xFWjG21/view

I think it's pretty good, the first bit (4x4) reinforces Doc's innocence and Marty's "love" for him, the final brass kind of laughs at him with Doc's logical rebuttal. Then the next part (If They Ever Did / Something Inconspicuous) is a fun bit of planning with so many accidentally perfect sync point even I was completely surprised, and the finale (Biff's Garage) heightens the tension, and quickly resolves it with a finale that made me laugh out loud even for the 40th time I rewound it to make the timing perfect.

Haha great job Holko! You did that one too much justice, this should really be called the movie-ruining thread!

Alright time to hate on me for this next one. This is the first piece I tried and decided to just go with it :blink::D it definitely warps the tone of this movie lol, but hey, it's all just for fun. I however got some great swells and movements at just the right spots: right as the sun glares across the army and second time at 2:45, tempo perfectly matching facial expressions, distressing music on Éowyn's face at 2:31 and swing of a sword.

But make sure both videos begin at exactly the same time, or else it doesn't match. Then lower 1's volume to ~20%

It's a fun enterprise, but alas, I don't have the time or skill to do it.

It's always funny when one gets 'accidental synch points', though. It happens no matter what you play, and no matter what you're watching at the same time. I remember playing a score while seeing a TV programme without sound a few years back, and was struck by the coincidental synch points with regular intervals. It's the Pink Floyd/WIZARD OF OZ phenomenon.

I remember watching live broadcasts of Robert Jay QC questioning witnesses at the Leveson Inquiry in 2012 while simultaneously playing music from The Dark Knight. It produced some awesome juxtapositions! I'll never find them again, but here's the gist (you need to hear the dialogue as well as the music).

I've made many videos of this type and shared them throughout the years. This is one I made way before JNH was announced as Fantastic Beasts composer.

Another JNH one, this time over a scene from Tintin.

And JNH over a scene from Man of Steel.

Oh guys, make sure on my LoTR Battle scene that both videos start at exactly the same time, or else it doesn't work! (I edited to include that.)

Awesome entries so far. I need to relisten to some of these more, they're great!

On 1/31/2018 at 6:41 AM, Thor said:

It's a fun enterprise, but alas, I don't have the time or skill to do it.

It's always funny when one gets 'accidental synch points', though. It happens no matter what you play, and no matter what you're watching at the same time. I remember playing a score while seeing a TV programme without sound a few years back, and was struck by the coincidental synch points with regular intervals. It's the Pink Floyd/WIZARD OF OZ phenomenon.

This was literally my friend's and my humor as kids :D we were weird: We'd mute one movie/show, then play another movie/show's sound over it and watch the other one, and got a laugh every time it synched anything subtly creative. We wouldn't ever watch regular movies, we would just do this and try to follow weird plots... hah.

Yes with music it's the same principle :D With that Ravel - Daybreak I tried to get the swells to match the sun/cloud parts, but if you start both videos exactly at the same time, it kinda works! even though I purposefully chose a strange piece. I want my stuff in this thread to be risky and unusual.

A while back I had Titanic playing on my Sony Trinitron and The Last Crusade playing on the hi-fi. The section of "Belly of the Steal Beast" after the percussion intro ended up playing during the climactic shot of the Titanic wreck and kiss on the grand stairwell and actually worked pretty well.

On 1/31/2018 at 2:43 PM, leeallen01 said:

I've made many videos of this type and shared them throughout the years. This is one I made way before JNH was announced as Fantastic Beasts composer.

That's amazing! I wish we had the list of the songs you used though! 

12 hours ago, Luka said:

That's amazing! I wish we had the list of the songs you used though! 

I used Peter Pan for the first scene. Maleficent for the Platform 9 3/4. Water Horse for Harry flying on Buckbeak and the Quidditch World Cup tent scene. Treasure Planet for the quidditch scene. The Tourist for the Ballroom Dance scene. Maleficent for Dumbledore's duel with Voldemort and the Graveyard scene. Dinosaur for when Harry, Ron and Hermione say goodbye on the staircase. Maleficent for the end scenes on the bridge after the battle, and the train station epilogue.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Got bored so decided to add actually good music into the new Kong Skull Island film. 

I used JNH's 'Tooth and Claw' from his King Kong score - 

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akz-9hNbLAnnhi7T_QpLA4Fc2Awk 

Spectacular! 

I don't know why Henry Jackman's was so mediocre. I mean, it's not an awful work, but come on, you're scoring King freaking Kong, show some enthusiasm! It's one of the most lifeless scores I've ever heard for a monster movie. In turn, the film itself is easily the best Kong film since the original (or the original Mighty Joe Young if you want to count that), which makes it all the more disappointing it didn't have JNH or Barry involved. 

• 2 weeks later...

I always found the Battle of Geonosis lacked a proper introduction and build up. It kind of just begins very quickly and I feel it could've used more setup and context, maybe even a few shots of the droids launching their ships and armies from the inside their hangers(similar to the Phantom Menance droid army activation) because I'll be honest the first time I saw the film I didn't fully understand what was happening or who was fighting who. The worst thing is that it completely lacks any score, it's mostly silent. While I couldn't give it all that wanted I attempted to at least give it a lively introduction that tries to communicate that a great battle is beginning.

Enjoy!

Nice, I've used this exact same piece and sync points when creating my AotC preferred edit, which turned out to be 6 minutes long including the complete crawl.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, an inevitable Star Wars rescored by Powell video:

00:00-01:58:

Blasting Off - edited Corellia Chase+Meet Han

01:58-04:10

The Battle of Yavin - Into the Maw Edited (heavily at the end)

04:10-06:52 

The Ewok Battle - Break In (no edits, it happened to line up like this)

06:52-07:26

Into the Death Star - edited Adventures of Han

• 8 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:27 AM, Borodin said:

Make sure both videos begin at exactly the same time, or else it doesn't match. Then lower 1's volume to ~20%

...This is so epic.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:19 AM, NL197 said:

These are rescored sequences using the intended score, largely dropped from the final film.

I need to hear these!

• 10 months later...

A few years ago, seeing how bland the score of Age of Ultron was, I decided to improve the movie putting Michael Giacchino's music for Jupiter Ascending on the climax. My editing skills were/are dreadful, but here it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CfsF0VBP_lrHZXPdE4dr0xua-UuKtmDr/view?usp=sharing

• 11 months later...

Oops. I wasn't aware filenames are visible with Drive embeds. I always name these one-off semi-throwaway files like that. Or td8fgphiénk (random keyboard mash).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
4 hours ago, Chewy said:

It's not the same place in the score of course, but I like how this made a connection for me between these two shots.  They even both have fences in the foreground!

image.png

image.png

• 6 months later...

I started a Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 1 rescore a while ago. Here are the first two cues and (for the transition) the Main Titles.

• 9 months later...
On 19/10/2023 at 3:25 PM, Holko said:

my brain be dumb

here supderman

sorry

Hey that was fun!  Did you get the idea from the slow-mo show of Tobey opening his shirt to reveal his costume?

On 19/10/2023 at 3:25 PM, Holko said:

This is great! I prefer it to the original! (Sorry, Danny!)

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hey that was fun!  Did you get the idea from the slow-mo show of Tobey opening his shirt to reveal his costume?

And the hero's girlfriend falling from a building and him having to fly in to save her, then putting her down on top of a skyscraper, cracking a joke, then her asking him who he is and him answering something like he's a friend and flying off.