Let's Rescore Scenes! (Fun Thread)

The best part is that everything from the web onto the Goblin's face to Spidey jumping off leaving MJ is uninterrupted, they just happened to match near perfectly. The rest was a weird push-pull between editing the music to the scene with tolerable transitions and editing the scene to the music while still keeping it semi-coherent (it's very much shortened and out of order actually).

In particular, the excitement meter when Parker opens his shirt goes from "Meh.." to "Woo!".

image.gif

Probably unpopular opinion: Williams' cue dates that scene considerably. It's far too OOT and busy for what is mostly dialog.

I can get behind trying 90s/00s (etc) Williams scores but 70s/80s often feels too bright and busy for more modern sequences.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Probably unpopular opinion: Williams' cue dates that scene considerably. It's far too OOT and busy for what is mostly dialog.

I can get behind trying 90s/00s (etc) Williams scores but 70s/80s often feels too bright and busy for more modern sequences.

Well you have one supporter in your view. It looks and sounds fun on first watch and there are a few heroic moments that work like gangbusters, but agree that a lot of it is a bit too busy for the scene. It also doesn't quite reflect the seriousness of the threat in the right way. The Superman cue undeniably has tension and drama, but as you say, it's too bright for the scene so there isn't enough feeling of danger. Still, it's a fun experiment.

Now we just need someone to track in a segment of the V'Ger music to the opening credits of ST:TMP so it gets the ominous, Vertigo goes sci-fi opening credits I always felt would be a much better curtain raiser than the march theme (which is perfect for Star Trek V, for example) which feels like it should be revealed gradually (as it does during The Enterprise and Leaving Drydock) to build the tension of the threat somewhat. I know I'm the only person who thinks this... but I like this hill so shall die on it lol.

Probably explains partly why SW isn't really my thing to begin with - it's very busy, active scoring which certainly aligns with a lot of tastes but not mine. Not saying I'd score that scene with drones or anything like that, but I like my orchestra to be a little more subtle and reflect the seriousness of the scene way more than that does.

5 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

While we're on the subject of Williams-ifying Spider-Man:

(apologies for the video quality; it's a real quick-and-dirty edit of two YouTube videos)

Initially I wanted to spin this off into its own thread: Rescore scenes based ONLY on the cue title.  I decided to play it safe and post it here instead.

That was amusing!

55 minutes ago, Presto said:

You are kinda barking up the wrong tree IMHO, it's less to do with style here, and more that the cue is written for a totally different (and different kind of) scene.

This 100%.

Plus, the whole idea of this thread is just having fun experimenting with mixing up different cues and scenes.  The only reason I even did mine was just to see what would happen if I put the Star Wars Ben's Death over the Spider-Man Ben's Death.

7 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

This 100%.

Plus, the whole idea of this thread is just having fun experimenting with mixing up different cues and scenes.  The only reason I even did mine was just to see what would happen if I put the Star Wars Ben's Death over the Spider-Man Ben's Death.

Yes, you got the idea.

7 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

While we're on the subject of Williams-ifying Spider-Man:

From Ben's death onwards it worked well, I thought.

• 1 month later...

A rescore of the atomic heat ray scene from Shin Godzilla using music from Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I actually made this back in 2018, but recently with AI I managed to extract the vocals of the scene as well, and recreate some that didn't come out right with ElevenLabs. It's what convinced me that Michael Giacchino can actually write monster scores and I thought it possible he might score a Godzilla film someday. Of course, that was before Bear McCreary was confirmed for King of the Monsters.

Yes, I was crazy, I redid the SFX too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IOqamArR07E6PYIX5IBgu2KGH7QJWbnh/view?usp=sharing

• 2 months later...

Barry scored the belated end of the Titanic's voyage, but how about the beginning?

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2023 at 5:14 PM, ragoz350 said:

looks nice

Hehe that was fun

• 1 month later...

Not mine, but I found these on Twitter, and while they might be sacrilegious to some, they are fun experiments. I would say Williams' score works better in Dune than Zimmer's does in Star Wars, but I like how Kiss the Ring works with Attack of the Clones final scene!

6 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

I would say Williams' score works better in Dune than Zimmer's does in Star Wars

Better music works simply better.

I think Zimmer's music is perfect for the Dune films, and even though Williams' score is brilliant, it wouldn't fit as well as Zimmer's music does with the overall tone and atmosphere of the films.

On 10/04/2024 at 8:13 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

TROS ending with stock music. You're welcome :thumbup:

LOL that was really funny!  Not just the music but the sound effects too :lol:

Man, seeing that footage again reminded me how stupid that movie is.  Just when I was starting to forget!