Jump to content

Game Of Thrones Showrunners tackle Star Wars.


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

 

That doesnt even mean anything.


Im not saying Don’t Hire People.  I’m saying just wait to announce people until you have a movie to make!  Easy peasy - they did it with Favreau, they didn’t announce Kenobi stuff until all the scripts were written, etc.   Announcing a trilogy by a duo who hadn’t even developed anything for it yet, or announcing Trevorrow for E9 before TFA came out, Trank, etc.... it’s bound to end poorly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Dedicate all resources to Johnson's new trilogy (Old Republic?) and throw the bank at Williams to compose a suite of totally new themes to establish that trilogy and hand off the complete job to Powell.

 

That would be wonderful, however... Wouldn't Johnson at least try to bring his cousin Nathan Johnson to his trilogy? The worked together on Brick, Looper and Knives Out - The Last Jedi was the exception for obvious reasons. But since Williams probably won't commit for another SW trilogy, Rian is "free from the obligation" of collaborating with him, which means he can bring Nathan.

 

Of course, if LFL will accept it, that's another story. Perhaps they will prefer to collaborate with someone they already know and trust, like Powell himself, or maybe Goransson, who is scoring Mandalorian. But I guess Rian will probably make an attempt for his cousin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds about right. Plus, while I love that Williams' took the time to write themes and cues for Solo, maybe after The Rise of Skywalker its best that he ends his association with Star Wars alltogether: just go out with a bang and leave it at that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Edmilson said:

But since Williams probably won't commit for another SW trilogy, Rian is "free from the obligation" of collaborating with him, which means he can bring Nathan. 

 

Establishing the core themes is different to doing the whole trilogy though. He could nail that in a few weeks and be done with it.

 

And judging by the way Rian waxes lyrical about working with John, I think he'd be the first in line to throw their weight behind the idea.

 

Somehow I doubt he has the clout to get a lesser known composer like Nathan to score the film proper though (although stranger things have happened).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Ditto. Dedicate all resources to Johnson's new trilogy (Old Republic?) and throw the bank at Williams to compose a suite of totally new themes to establish that trilogy 

What a terrible thing to do to Williams!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

What a terrible thing to do to Williams!


It’s ok. He’s done with Star Wars after December 

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:


Thank the maker!

 


I don’t think this qualifies, personally.  In development projects are announced and cancelled regularly in the film industry.  This is pretty far from the firings of Lord/Miller or Trevorrow.  Especially since it seems this is just a case of D&D leaving to freely harvest from the Netflix money tree.


But there’s something with almost every movie. TLJ was the only one without any drama. I know it’s common but it seems to be par for the course with Lucasfilm these days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:


It’s ok. He’s done with Star Wars after December 

I’m guessing Powell will carry on the music for SW films after TROS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's gonna be different composers for every project.

 

I still don't know why people expect there to be one person just because Williams had a monopoly on the thing he created in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It's gonna be different composers for every project.

 

I still don't know why people expect there to be one person just because Williams had a monopoly on the thing he created in the first place.

Definitely, though, there will be a composer who’s on top of all projects and oversees them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kinda figured once their Netflix deal was announced (and GOT8 was received so poorly) that their SW trilogy would never happen.

 

 

So does this basically guarantee the movie Disney slotted for December 2022 is Rian Johnson's first trilogy movie, or is it still possible it could be something else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

So does this basically guarantee the movie Disney slotted for December 2022 is Rian Johnson's first trilogy movie, or is it still possible it could be something else?

 

Kevin Feige’s thing could happen sooner rather than later. Other than that maybe they end up releasing something non-SW there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disney made their intentions pretty clear

 

Dec 2019 = Star Wars 9

Dec 2020 = West Side Story

Dec 2021 = Avatar 2

Dec 2022 = Star Wars

Dec 2023 = Avatar 3

Dec 2024 = Star Wars

Dec 2025 = Avatar 4

Dec 2026 = Star Wars

Dec 2027 = Avatar 5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well they also made their intentions pretty clear when they announced these guys were making three Star Wars movies! :P

 

And wasn’t Avatar 2 supposed to come out five years ago? 

 

Nobody knows anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

I kinda figured once their Netflix deal was announced (and GOT8 was received so poorly) that their SW trilogy would never happen.

 

 

So does this basically guarantee the movie Disney slotted for December 2022 is Rian Johnson's first trilogy movie, or is it still possible it could be something else?

 

I hope RJ’s stuff gets canned soon. There’s too much drama around him and while I like TLJ it isn’t *that* good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

 

I hope RJ’s stuff gets canned soon. There’s too much drama around him

You can always... you know... ignore stupid shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

You clearly haven’t seen many genuinely terrible movies.

True. I would have to strain myself really hard to come up with any redeeming factor or enjoyability in it.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Good movie!  The good parts are great and the bad parts are funny!

It has no good parts and the bad parts are just bad or insanely boring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy the original trilogy of movies quite a bit but the prequel movies, sequel movies, and spinoff movies have all disappointed me in various different ways

 

JW's scores are all terrific, though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess IF (and that's a big if) we have a new SW movie coming out on December 2022, it'll be Feige's. He already has the expertise on how to manage enourmous franchises and deliver consistent, solid blockbusters. Of course, can he and Johnson collaborate? Sure, but to be honest I don't think Johnson's trilogy is happening at all.

 

As much as I like TLJ (the exact opposite from 97% of the internet, I guess), I can't see Disney bringing back such a controversial filmmaker as him, or even he wanting to go back to all the pressures of dealing with such a enourmous franchise. He might be happier with smaller movies like Knives Out.

 

In any case, WB is observing this situation closely. They also have Aquaman 2 scheduled for release on Dec 2022.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Holko said:

AotC disagrees!

 

Back when I was more vicious I might have agreed, but nowadays I can find a scarce few things to like about Attack of the Clones. I don't think its really any good, but its also not a catastrophe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is, but there are some things it does right. Never something that I would say creates a cohesive whole - just nuggets which are good in isolation - but that's still something.

 

Namely, I like that we start the story by spending some reasonably-unhurried time in Curoscant and the Republic. Getting a taste of the life in the republic makes its downfall much more meaningful, and some of the shots are striking and have a tremedous sense of scale. Ditto the arena in the end of the film.

 

That - and Williams' love theme - is where my positives end, unfortunately. But its still something!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Johnson’s trilogy will get the axe, too... he recently said in an interview that he has no update yet he’s still working with Lucasfilm while they figure things out. How is he supposed to plan his future projects if Disney keeps him hanging? It’s probably for the best since Johnson’s new characters in TLJ are among the least interesting and compelling of the saga. I can’t imagine him creating a fresh and exciting batch of characters for a new trilogy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Balahkay said:

I think Johnson’s trilogy will get the axe, too... he recently said in an interview that he has no update yet he’s still working with Lucasfilm while they figure things out. How is he supposed to plan his future projects if Disney keeps him hanging? It’s probably for the best since Johnson’s new characters in TLJ are among the least interesting and compelling of the saga. I can’t imagine him creating a fresh and exciting batch of characters for a new trilogy. 


while I enjoy TLJ you’ve hit the nail on the head with regards to his new characters. Rose and... whatever Benecio Del Toro’s character was called were dull as dishwater. 
 

Oh and there was that whole awful Laura Dern character and subplot...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.