"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

6 hours ago, phbart said:

What I want: Star Wars OT, Indy and Schindler's List

What I'll get: Witches of Eastwick, Amistad, Minority Report and some obscure late 1960's or early 1970's JW score.

That's what I want after the franchises, so I would be more than happy about that!

6 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

He's obviously referring to scores for films based on books.

Hopefully a John Williams Harry Potter Collection.

How is that obvious? "One for the books" is a very common phrase, it's most likely not a reference to which scores being worked on.

16 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

How is that obvious? "One for the books" is a very common phrase, it's most likely not a reference to which scores being worked on.

Are you saying that when they say "for the record", they don't talk about a disc? :sarcasm:

why does anyone want Schindler's List?  There's barely anything worthwhile in the 4 c.d. leaked sessions .Just the orchestral version of the burial scene and a flute solo of the theme

6 minutes ago, king mark said:

why does anyone want Schindler's List?  There's barely anything worthwhile in the 4 c.d. leaked sessions .Just the orchestral version of the burial scene and a flute solo of the theme

The album presentation is perfect anyway

13 minutes ago, king mark said:

Let's not forget that earlier in the year LLL spoke of "4 cds, 6 cds, possibly even 10 cd box sets" coming this year. I think that with these pieces in place, Harry Potter or Star Wars (or both, fingers crossed) is pretty likely.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Hasn't it been pointed out that LLL would not do Star Wars?

I'd love Schindler's List too as I don't have and will never buy the OST.

Why will you never buy it? It's a masterful presentation.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Hasn't it been pointed out that LLL would not do Star Wars?

While this is probably true, Matessino has spoken about how it's often easier for studios to outsource expansions to independent labels due to the complexity of licensing unreleased and previously released music. He spoke at length about this in his Jurassic Park/Lost World podcast.

Of course, we don't know the full complexities of the situation with Lucasfilm and Disney regarding the Star Wars scores. I mean, it seems straightforward but let's consider who actually owns the scores. Lucasfilm, right? And Lucasfilm is owned by The Walt Disney Company. Walt Disney Records is a record label under Disney Music Group, which is a production arm of Walt Disney Studios, which is a division of the Walt Disney Company. I'm sure that's straightforward enough with the Disney-commissioned scores recorded in LA (TFA and TLJ) but the first six are a mixed bag of studios and musicians.

Again, presumably Lucasfilm reserve all rights to all Star Wars music themselves, but it's unclear what other entities have involvement in the ownership of each score. Don't forget Fox have/had a perpetuity ownership of the original film, now further complicated by the Disney buyout of 20th Century Fox (film division). Clearly Disney were able to reissue all 6 OSTs without issue, so it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Ultimately the label is less important than the producer assembling it. So long as Mike Matessino is involved, we're in safe hands.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I love most of JW's OST presentations. They usually give a coherent listening experience with a good dramatic arc.

yeah, but maybe the expansion includes the ost too!

By the way, i would prefer instead of the star wars prequels expansions these:

The Secret Ways

Gidget goes to Rome

The Killers

Daddy's Gone A-Hunting

The Plainsman

The Rare Breed

23 hours ago, Muldoon said:

Schindler's List, JFK, Towering Inferno, Hook and Harry Potter 1-3 confirmed!

No Schindler's List, no Far & Away!!!

It's The Witches od Eastwick, Hook, Amistad, JFK, The Towering Inferno and Harry Potter confirmed!!!

No, honestly @Jay, what would you say are the most probable expansions for this year? And if, how many of them are you involved in?

19 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I hope this means it's Star Wars time.

Good, because it hasn't been Star Wars time since, what, January 2018? 

That relentless churning out of Disney movies, re-release albums, and re-recordings the last 3,5 years has really been a dry stretch for Star Wars fans.

12 hours ago, filmmusic said:

yeah, but maybe the expansion includes the ost too!

By the way, i would prefer instead of the star wars prequels expansions these:

The Secret Ways

Gidget goes to Rome

The Killers

Daddy's Gone A-Hunting

The Plainsman

The Rare Breed

There's niche, and then there's this.

6 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

That relentless churning out of Disney movies, re-release albums, and re-recordings the last 3,5 years has really been a dry stretch for Star Wars fans.

They keep releasing the wrong thing since 1997

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Are you familiar at all with what LL releases when it comes to JW? They wouldn't just re-release OSTs.

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

What SW re-recording are you referring to?