"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

Casper has some of the most insane dynamic range ever. It'll be so soft you crank it up just to hear it, then it suddenly gets so loud it blows up your equipment. 

Incredible!

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I've seen that documentary, too. Horner was an arrogant little shit, back then. Apparently, not much changed.

The engineer on ALIENS was Eric Tomlinson, and he did a bang-up job, on that score. I'd rather have his lovely, dry sound, than Murphy's homogeneous, wet fish crap. 

I don't know - he's certainly not modest in that interview, but most of his concerns seemed to stem from Cameron's time pressures and not appreciating that a composer needs a locked picture to write to. Maybe his comment about 'find a composer better suited' was a bit arrogant, but to an extent it's reasonable for him to challenge the producers when they're asking things of him that others in the composing profession would consider unrealistic.

The bit about Cameron loving his score to Braveheart - that's definitely a Horner 'thing'. He also talked about considering himself to have done 'such a good job' on The Perfect Storm on Schweiger's interview years back.

Unfortunately besides Horner on Aliens, Goldsmith and Elfman had problematic experiences on Supergirl and Batman respectively. They never worked with Eric Tomlinson again. 

I still miss the Tomlinson Sound in todays scene. 

• 1 month later...

6 pages of speculation, nice.

There's no reason to assume Williams has anything to do with LLL's April slate.  In fact, they don't even know what's coming in April right now:

No April flyer

MV

Just to clarify, we do have some things coming in April we just don't know what and I don't want to state anything specifically until we do.

As of right now we do have Day The Earth Stood Still coming April 10 for sure. That's at the printers

We have 4 other projects inching toward the finish line...all of which could be signed off on today or weeks from now. It's all part of the wonderful and exciting life of a soundtrack label owner! We are lucky like that.

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=39&forumID=1&threadID=67395&archive=0

• 3 weeks later...

So, 2018 will be "one for the books" when it comes to the Maestro.

Why do I have a feeling that there will be an announcement within the next few months? I don't know why, but I have a good feeling about June.

If it's gonna be a year for the books, I suggest they start sooner than later with putting things out...

Also, wouldn't a book about Indiana Jones and Star Wars music (certainly Indy) be sort of too much? I mean, it's good music, but neither scores can be compared to LOTR/Hobbit.

I'm sorry, but regardless of the many problems Hobbit has, you can't seriously claim that there is more (thematic) depth to Star Wars or Indy than LOTR? (And I'm not a hardcore Tolkien fan.)

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Do you imply TLJ doesn't suck?

Please go settle this in one of the dozen or so The Last Jedi threads, please.

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Music isn't just themes. But if you're going to use that as an indicator of greatness, Star Wars has its fair share of great, epic themes, which Shore isn't that good at developing long, interesting themes.

Okay, so what makes Star Wars and Indy somehow worthy of a book, more worhty than, say, Hook or Harry POtter? What makes it so special?

Star Wars because it's great music, it reintroduced the symphonic sound in film music, and because of the monumental achievement of nine scores spread over more than four decades. Indy because it's great music (first three, at least). I wouldn't mind a book on Hook or HP either.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

It's interesting that neither the emperor, nor Snoke, could forsee their own deaths...

The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:49 AM, Bryant Burnette said:

God help me, but I'd buy all of those.

Why? Omg total sleep aids