"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

I still hold out hope that the 3 Potters will be separate, in which case I'll only buy Azkaban on release and save the others for a bit later, seeing as how i've listened to the first two sessions for years. I can live a bit longer without an official reedit/remaster.

I'd rather have the first three down and out, not have a staggered release.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

I still hold out hope that the 3 Potters will be separate, in which case I'll only buy Azkaban on release and save the others for a bit later, seeing as how i've listened to the first two sessions for years. I can live a bit longer without an official reedit/remaster.

38 minutes ago, Romão said:

Has La La Land ever had two scores from the same composer released as Black Friday titles?

In 2016, they released both Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2 by Faltermeyer on Black Friday.

In 2015, they released both The Pagemaster and Braveheart by Horner on Black Friday.

In 2014, they released both Big Top Pee Wee and Batman/Returns 4CD version on Black Friday

But Schindler's List is announced for December, and Black Friday is in November (announce and ship date), so I guess SL is a post-BF bonus this year

Forgive my ignorance, but would HP 1-3 each fit in a 2-disc presentation?  LLL posted at the beginning of the year (below) about a 4, 6 and possible 10-cd box set, which I believe have yet to be released this year, correct?  My money is on HP 6-disc set  :wizard:  🤞🏼  🤑

15 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yeah HP is coming, 100% sure

If true, that alone would be a massive moment in the soundtrack world. We're so used to having scores of this magnitude delivered wayyyy beyond their initial release, it's hard for me to believe we'd get these less than 20 years out!

17 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

it's hard for me to believe we'd get these less than 20 years out!

Slightly less. 17 years for the first one. That's one year more than the time between the original SW release and the Arista box set.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Hopefully, Amistad will be part of the Black Friday batch as well.

I still have that on my mind for some reason, not to mention the Maestro's Harry Potter scores, and Superman (given this year being the 40th anniversary).

Don't forget that this year is the 45th anniversary of the Maestro's collaboration with Steven Spielberg, as well as the 60th anniversary of the Maestro as composer for film. In addition to Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List, I have a feeling there will be more in the coming months, even going into this coming year.

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Slightly less. 17 years for the first one. That's one year more than the time between the original SW release and the Arista box set.

True, but that was an exceedingly rare event, and the attention to detail a set like this in 2018 will I gauarantee far surpass that of a set in this domain in '93.

We're setting ourselves up for some mega disappointment either Potter isn't out by the BF batch or the just do the first one or something.

But I reckon it's pretty likely. Is it the only major property left that Lucasfilm (hence Disney) doesn't now control?

30 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

We're setting ourselves up for some mega disappointment either Potter isn't out by the BF batch or the just do the first one or something.

Maybe it's planned for BF but will get delayed to March!

How cool it would be if LLL have a JW announcement every month until December? One for October, one for November and one for the BF... and we have the December one already. That would look great for the book. Then Intrada, Varesè, Kritzerland and Disney (why not?) could make their announcements as well...

...and then I woke up.

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Forgive my ignorance, but would HP 1-3 each fit in a 2-disc presentation?  LLL posted at the beginning of the year (below) about a 4, 6 and possible 10-cd box set, which I believe have yet to be released this year, correct?  My money is on HP 6-disc set  :wizard:  🤞🏼  🤑

The HP 1 sessions are on three discs. They would have to omit some things. The other two would probably fit, unless Azkaban has a lot more recorded music than we know about.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

The HP 1 sessions are on three discs. They would have to omit some things. The other two would probably fit, unless Azkaban has a lot more recorded music than we know about.

I think that's why they'd do those 3 scores in a box set. Makes more sense to do 2 discs for each score then a 7th disc for all the oddments that don't fit into the C&C presentation. 

Just my two cents. I think Azkaban has a lot of alternates too. 

18 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

One for the BOOKS...

This is an obvious reference to The Book Thief.

We'll get TBT in November! 

tbt... as Throwback Thursday? JW composing for social media hashtags now. Interesting...

10 minutes ago, phbart said:

tbt... as Throwback Thursday? JW composing for social media hashtags now. Interesting...

You're hoping we'll get HP this year?

Nope, not Harry Potter, Hewlett Packard! 

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I think that's why they'd do those 3 scores in a box set. 

I don't think they'll do that because a 7 disc set would cost around 100 bucks, and that'll scare off a lot of potential buyers. 

Not the hardcore fans of the score, no, but the general fans of Harry Potter movies and music.

I hope the score for the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone gets an expanded/full release by LLL towards the end of this year.  As I can recall, after watching the film, I got the OST and was disappointed that certain cues I heard in the film weren't included, like the film version of "Into The Great Hall".  The cue on the OST titled "Entry Into The Great Hall" was used during the feast.

50 minutes ago, TitanicFan2018 said:

I hope the score for the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone gets an expanded/full release by LLL towards the end of this year.  

You and pretty much anybody else here.

😉

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I don't think they'll do that because a 7 disc set would cost around 100 bucks, and that'll scare off a lot of potential buyers. 

Not the hardcore fans of the score, no, but the general fans of Harry Potter movies and music.

I see where you're coming from, hard to say. Azkaban is by far the most sought after score because the sessions have been freely available of 1 & 2 for years. Obviously us die-hards would get all 3 regardless of separate releases but would mainstream fans? 

From a business perspective, rolling all 3 scores into one release would probably make LLL more money, because people need to buy all 3 scores to get Azkaban. Similar to how they rolled JP and TLW together, despite JP having only a few minutes of unreleased music but TLW brimming with new material.

28 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Why do you scallywags want Harry Potter anyway? It's just Hook and Witches of Eastwick blended together but not as good as those two!

No, kockroach! Just no. 😂 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I see where you're coming from, hard to say. Azkaban is by far the most sought after score because the sessions have been freely available of 1 & 2 for years. Obviously us die-hards would get all 3 regardless of separate releases but would mainstream fans? 

From a business perspective, rolling all 3 scores into one release would probably make LLL more money, because people need to buy all 3 scores to get Azkaban. Similar to how they rolled JP and TLW together, despite JP having only a few minutes of unreleased music but TLW brimming with new material.

As a diehard fan, I don't care whether we have 3 separate, individual releases or one big giant box set.

The important thing is that we get the full, complete scores, and they don't cut corners or become slipshod.

The Jurassic Park set is a good example! They did everything right with that one.

As of right now we have 17 titles possibly coming out before the end of the year. It was 18, but we had to move one super cool Black Friday release to Feb 2019. It was not going to be approved, manufactured and ready to ship in time.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=131597&forumID=1&archive=0

I hope it was not the Williams one!

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Why do you scallywags want Harry Potter anyway? It's just Hook and Witches of Eastwick blended together but not as good as those two!

This place has always just been a Harry Potter forum in disguise!

24 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Whilst I like the idea of 7 disc set for HP 1-3, I just can't see LLL doing that, instead opting for separate releases to be more consumer friendly.

3+2+3 Discs!

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Whilst I like the idea of 7 disc set for HP 1-3, I just can't see LLL doing that, instead opting for separate releases to be more consumer friendly.

What you'll get is a 7 disc set of music from all eight films!

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

The Jurassic Park set is a good example! They did everything right with that one.

Except for remastering two already-good recordings by making them sound like dried-out, older recordings... 

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I doubt it. Otherwise, that will be around the same time that the Maestro’s recording of his Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra comes out. Still, I doubt that it was one of the Maestro’s scores.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Because fucking Perseverance are holding Witches of Eastwick hostage with 4500 unsold copies of a pointless OST reissue.

Even the OST could afford to lose a redundant cue though.