FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE now available (3CD/1BD or 5LP)

Jay

The menu graphic looks good, until you realise it shows Rhovanion, particularly the southern plains between Mirkwood and the Sea of Rhun. Why not use Eriador for Fellowship? 

I am fully aware this is incredibly stupid nitpicking and it wouldn't detract anything from the value from me, either.

Probably; I didn't pre-order because I was kind of expecting the price to come down and I'm really surprised it didn't.

It's still $80 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079PTDW74/

BUT!  It can be found for $68 on Bestbuy.com: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-the-complete-recordings-cd/33879219.p?skuId=33879219

So, I totally randomly just found a Hungarian site which sells everything CD I dream of, and currently has this for the equivalent of about 59 € including shipping to a Post Point, so I don't even have to be at home. It's on its way now, will be here in a week :biglaugh:

No idea, they use Hungarian Post, I guess they could theoretically pass it to another foreign post. 

The site's www.facethemusic.hu , I just asked on their info email address whether they'd ship to Norway. I'll probably get back to you sometime next morning, this deal lasts until the 8th.

@Jurassic Shark, no, unfortunately they don't ship abroad.

Apparently not, which is surprising.  Maybe they will come later, incentivising people to spend $80 on the physical.

Got my vinyl set today! It’s gorgeous, very excited for the next two. Got number 3,400 out of 5,000. Tempted to also get the CD version, though, so I can have it on my computer...

The vinyl set also makes me hope even more that Disney Music will release deluxe vinyls of the other Star Wars OST’s like they did with the original last year. These fancy box vinyl sets for one film are beautiful things.

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Has anyone been able to do a quick comparison, sound quality-wise yet? Any groundbreaking difference?

For example, has the choir mix been fixed?

It was already posted the reissue is the exact same master as the 2005 release, nothing changed at all.

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was already posted the reissue is the exact same master as the 2005 release, nothing changed at all.

Well, technically the vinyl isn't a reissue, right?

Huh, I thought I'd read somewhere that Doug Adams had said that the new re-issue would sound amazing, so that made me think it would be remastered. Why do a Blu-Ray if you could just as well re-issue a DVD in that case? Oh well, at least I won't have to worry about ripping better 5.1 tracks now.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why do a Blu-Ray if you could just as well re-issue a DVD in that case?

Because more people have Blu Ray players in their homes that DVD-A players?

Remember, if you only had a standard DVD video player, and not specifically a DVD-Audio player, you could not play the high resolution tracks on the original release.  On the reissue, anyone with any run of the mill BD player can play the high resolution tracks.

Oh, right, I wasn't thinking of the DVD-DVD-A distinction.

EDIT: Package arrived today, I really like how compact the whole set is. Almost finished disc 1 and what really strikes me is how little silence there is  between some tracks. Overall flow is just great. Bring on the TTT re-issue.

Here is one FSM posters opinion on the new BD version:

I heard very noticeable differences between the original DVD-A and the new BD. (I did have a player which supported the DVD-A standard.) The levels on the BD seem to be lower than the DVD. The BD also sounds tighter (particularly in the low bass) with more detail because of this. The DVD seemed to have such a high level that it nearly distorted, particularly in the vocals. The mix between vocals and orchestra also seems different with the vocals less prominent. 

On the other hand the DVD's high levels and prominent vocals gave it more "punch". I found it took a while to appreciate the less immediate sound of the BD.

&

I have a 2.1 system, no center channel. I use the surround mix as it seems to give a more open sound. This setup was the same for both discs. Because of the lower BD sound level, I actually had the overall volume higher than for the DVD. The different vocal mix was one of the first things I noticed. It also depends on the speakers and speaker placement. 

Just keep in mind, its just one guy's opinion.

No sign of this on Qobuz or 7Digital as far as I can see, but it's about $44 for a high res version on HDTracks. Not sure if it's stereo or 5.1.

And it's here! I've waited 84 6 years for this moment!

Technically, I now have my first own Bluray disc ever. I once won a PS4 game on a raffle and immediately sold it to a friend, so that doesn't count.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:20 PM, Holko said:

And it's here! I've waited 84 6 years for this moment!

Technically, I now have my first own Bluray disc ever. I once won a PS4 game on a raffle and immediately sold it to a friend, so that doesn't count.

Congratulations!

I know this new release can never replace the eight years you lost without this score, and that a reissue can't compare to owning the classic original, but hope you can find a quantum of solace in it nonetheless.

I just think it's great that it's finally available digitally. I still remain surprised that they reissued it with all the same packaging, rather than a cheaper jewel case.

So we just need TTT to get reissued and Middle Earth has officially entered the 21st century!

48 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I just think it's great that it's finally available digitally. I still remain surprised that they reissued it with all the same packaging, rather than a cheaper jewel case.

So we just need TTT to get reissued and Middle Earth has officially entered the 21st century!

For a world that was basically frozen in the Medieval era for millenia it was kind of fitting for the soundtrack release to be stuck in the 20th century. ;) 

Great that they've made this available digitally too!

Interesting note on the HDtracks page though:

• Notes: Tracks 29-37 are encoded 48kHz/24bit files, but were analyzed and confirmed as 48kHz/16bit.

I wonder if this was always the case or there has just been a mistake made putting together the download version?

Edit: Just realised. That's the whole of disc 3 isn't it? I'm guessing someone picked the wrong files for this version then...

Woah, that's really interesting!  Yea, somebody must have screwed something up when preparing disc 3 to send to HDTracks.

Actually.... what if the master is screwed up, and the 7digital version, LP version, and BD version are all upconverted 16bit files for those 9 tracks?  That would be annoying...

I don't I can cope with a) that being the case and b) not knowing :lol:

If the master is screwed up and this is purely a re-issue with no changes at all, it may be that those 9 tracks have been 16bit since 2005. DVD-A included.

No I pay and I have good headphones.

I'll have a listen on my computer later. Different headphones. See if it's any different.