'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Even with Williams, I don't see the appeal of travelling abroad to hear music that has been overplayed for at least 10 years.

Have you ever heard his music played by the great orchestra like LSO or Chicago symphony?  It is amazing but mayby you are more a midi-sample person? 

2 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Yeah, it's time to retire the same SW, E.T., Jaws and Close Encounters concert pieces that have been performed over and over again. Make room for other more worthy music.

Don't descend into sarcasm.

I think it's fair to say that those attending the concert are film music fans, and know the existing concert suites inside out. It wouldn't hurt to vary the repertoire for this one a bit.

It's like classical pieces like Also Sprach Zarathustra or certain arias. They are recognized as classics, but have become clicheed as fuck.

6 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

It's like classical pieces like Also Sprach Zarathustra or certain arias.

95% of Also sprach Zarathustra is virtually unknown outside of classical music circles. Or at least I've never heard it in a film or anywhere else except in the concert hall and on the CD I have of it.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

95% of Also sprach Zarathustra is virtually unknown outside of classical music circles. Or at least I've never heard it in a film or anywhere else except in the concert hall and on the CD I have of it.

No offense, but 95% of the Williams scores whose main themes are performed in concerts are virtually unknown outside film music circles, too.

Aw, seems like I missed the news on this completely. I already have a couple of tickets for the Star Wars screening with the LSO in November, but seeing Williams live would be infinitely better. Guess I'll have to hope for a miracle :D Obviously, I'd buy a ticket from anyone here if you've got a spare one - wouldn't mind paying a bonus for it too, so do contact me!

I would be interested to know if anyone without a ticket has tried contacting the Royal Albert Hall box office by phone to ask if seat 5 in any of the second tier boxes is available for sale over the phone.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they often do not sell tickets for those seats on the website because the view from some of the boxes is restricted, generally the closer the box is to the stage.  During the BBC Proms, for example, you can ring up and get a perfectly good seat at the back of a second tier box when the concert is otherwise sold out.  You can always move the seat around a little bit in the box to optimise your view, as they are not fixed to the floor in any of the boxes.

Boxes 45 and 46 are directly opposite the stage, so the closer the box number is to 45/46 either way, the better the view will be.  I reckon that you would have a perfectly acceptable to excellent view in any of the second tier boxes numbered 30 to 60 (my guess, so please do not hold me to this).

The box office reopens at 9 a.m. tomorrow.  If you do not have a ticket, what have you got to lose?

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've virtually given myself over to the fact that I'll miss this one. In all honesty, most JWfaners were so far away from a ticket, that it wasn't even worth thinking about. I'll still try, though.

Damn you, sirs, I will try!

At the moment, I'm still optimistic. Don't know why, though.

9 hours ago, Omen II said:

I would be interested to know if anyone without a ticket has tried contacting the Royal Albert Hall box office by phone to ask if seat 5 in any of the second tier boxes is available for sale over the phone.

"We have no idea - there is absolutely nothing left - we have no idea - there is absolut..." (you guess the rest, the last time i felt as welcome was the Vodafone service hotline)

47 minutes ago, publicist said:

"We have no idea - there is absolutely nothing left - we have no idea - there is absolut..." (you guess the rest, the last time i felt as welcome was the Vodafone service hotline)

Good morning gents!

Same feedback over here (maybe same operator? ;)), absolutely everything has been sold, but the gallery is still on hold at the moment. We have to check their website every once in a while.

I was looking for tickets the entire week end but viagogo offers absolutely no insurance about the tickets sold. I missed the seats very close on friday morning (queued 2700 at 9:00AM) and have to deal with "second market".

Do you guys would recommend any confident website in the UK for tickets?

41 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Do RAH concerts regularly sell out this far in advance? How about other JW-conducted concerts (such as Film Night at Tanglewood)?

Many years ago, I attended to Howard SHORD performance for LOTR at RAH, and had absolutely no issue whatsoever to book the tickets, and get a great location in the hall.

Obviously JW's coming tends to be the holy grail of OST live performances, and for sure there is not going to be many more of these in Europe in the next years.

52 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Do RAH concerts regularly sell out this far in advance? How about other JW-conducted concerts (such as Film Night at Tanglewood)?

As of yesterday, there are still tickets for the Film Night in Tanglewood, and I'm thinking of attending this instead of London...

On the other hand, it's ridiculous: a 2 hours flight to London vs an 8 hours flight to Boston...

May I ask if there are American members of the forum traveling to London? (And if so: given the numerous concerts in the US, why?)

1 hour ago, alawill75 said:

May I ask if there are American members of the forum traveling to London? (And if so: given the numerous concerts in the US, why?)

Because it's the frickin' LSO, and it's the original orchestra used on some of his best scores.

3 hours ago, alawill75 said:

On the other hand, it's ridiculous: a 2 hours flight to London vs an 8 hours flight to Boston...

It's not ridiculous if it's on your bucket list...

:(

Try 12.5 hours to London or 16 hours to Boston, in my case. Not to mention the cost.

1 hour ago, alawill75 said:

TSO?

Yes, the Toledo Symphony Orchestra, perhaps you've heard of them?

:P

7 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Try 12.5 hours to London or 16 hours to Boston, in my case. Not to mention the cost.

Where are you coming from? Was just thinking about where to start to need 12.5 hours to London and 16 hours to Boston...?

4 minutes ago, alawill75 said:

Where are you coming from? Was just thinking about where to start to need 12.5 hours to London and 16 hours to Boston...?

Southern tip of Africa...

:(

18 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yes, the Toledo Symphony Orchestra, perhaps you've heard of them?

:P

By mistake wrote the abbreviation of my local orchestra, Trondheim Symphony Orchestra. :) A very skilled orchestra!

Just curious, is anyone keeping track of how much the LSO has changed since the Prequel recordings? Are there some current members that were also part of the orchestra back then? I also assume that people responsible for bringing OT scores to life have all retired, but I have no idea.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Probably 100% change. The whole LSO deal is hugely overrated here, anyway. I saw them multiple times in the last 10 years and they had flubs like every other orchestra.

The Hollywood players are obviously better.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Probably 100% change. The whole LSO deal is hugely overrated here, anyway. I saw them multiple times in the last 10 years and they had flubs like every other orchestra.

But every orchestra has flubs. ;)

Except maybe for London Synthony Orchestra.

Karol

I was in the 1998 concerts, and I will be there in October also. A 3 hours flight from Malaga is a short trip compare to the 12 hours flight to go to NYC in 2011 :lol:

See you there in a few month (crossing fingers... :P)

Maxine Kwok-Adams (the violinist who seems to be behind at least half the photos posted on the LSO's official channels, and clearly a huge film music and Williams fan) posted this recently:

Can anyone tell which of the prequels that's from? (I suppose ROTS is the most likely)

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Like the Vienna Philharmonic. Every orchestra has flubs. I heard them play Bruckner's 4th under Haitink in Vienna many years ago, and was amazed by their precision.

But then i even found the Czechs under JNH and orchestras in Berlin, Paris and Ghent (and Horner in Vienna) wonderful players. I doubt it makes a huge difference either way, though the LSO probably is more adept at film music by sheer prolificacy.