'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

1) Approximately which days will you be in London for?  (IE, "I'll be there from Tuesday the 23rd through Sunday the 28th")

Since it'll be my second of three trips to London this year (all JW related), I probably won't arrive until Thursday evening. I'll leave Sunday evening.

2) Are you also going to see Harry Potter 3 live at Royal Albert Hall on  Wednesday the 24th?

Nope. (With CE3K and Star Wars in addition to this concert, the Potter concert is so close to overkill that I'm actually really interested this year)

3) Would you be interested in a group tour of Leavesden Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 27th?  Which day would work better for you?

4) Would you be interested in a group tour of Abbey Road Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 27th?  Which day would work better for you?

Abbey Road sounds more interesting, though I don't know my day schedule yet (and have to coordinate with other friends as well). Since I'm arriving on Thursday evening, only Friday or Saturday would be possible for me.

5) Would you be interested in a group screening of a JW-scored film at the BFI IMAX some day that week?

That would probably be an evening thing, and for two evenings I'm there my schedule is already full (Williams on Friday and McKellen in King Lear on Saturday).

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

I am feeling strangely envious of those of you who will be experiencing a concert at the Royal Albert Hall for the first time.  By modern standards the building is too big for a concert hall, acousticians will tell you there are too many seats, some parts of the circle have restricted views, the sound of some sections of the orchestra can get lost depending on where you are sitting, the ladies usually have to queue for the toilets in the interval, etc. etc.

Yet despite all that, the place just has a sense of magic and a character that far outweigh its few shortcomings as a concert hall.  It is such a magnificent building, built by the Victorians who did things like this properly.  Although I have been there dozens of times, I never fail to feel a growing sense of excitement when I first glimpse the building as I walk through Kensington Gardens to a concert.  When you walk inside the building it is as if the music of all the great musicians who have performed there over the years has permeated its very walls, like the prayers of generations of the devout in our great cathedrals.  The hall's circular shape also makes it a surprisingly intimate venue - you can turn your head away from the stage and clearly see the faces of most of your fellow concertgoers as if you were all sitting round a table to celebrate some special family occasion.

There are other concert halls where the sound, the view and the facilities might be superior, but I can think of no better place than the Royal Albert Hall in which to see John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra perform.

My thoughts exactly.

I have lost count of how many times I've been to concerts there. It must be over 40 times. I have had so many great memories there. All 3 Lord of the Rings films performed with 200 people on-stage. JNH's debut concert on his tour. Giacchino's 50th Birthday celebration. 2 separate Classical Brit awards. Etc etc.

And perhaps the most significant moment was of meeting James Horner and being able to talk to him for a short time only mere months before his death.

The building always takes my breath away whenever I see it. And as I enter the doors towards my seat, that inital view of the entire panorama of the hall is stunning. I will never take that special place for granted. 

Yes, there are perhaps better when it comes to sound (Barbican, Royal Festival Hall, Birmingham Symphony Hall and even the one in Nottingham) but there is an aura to RAH that is quite unlike anything else. I've visited 9 times so far (and 5-6 already planned for this year) and it's always a treat.

Karol

Have faith @hornist , there are more of us than you know. Some might yet get a ticket (most of us can get along just fine, with one kidney :lol:).

The RAH, is not only a magnificent building to look at, and to be in, it has great sound.

55 minutes ago, hornist said:

I have never listened to a concert or performed in RAH. This was my dream-comes-true concert but I fucked it up:unsure:

Don't know, how many kidneys have you got left?

EDIT: Oh I see @Richard beat me to it. :lol:

Karol

On 23-2-2018 at 4:43 PM, Jay said:

I have some questions I hope anyone going will please respond and answer!

1) Approximately which days will you be in London for?  (IE, "I'll be there from Tuesday the 23rd through Sunday the 28th")

2) Are you also going to see Harry Potter 3 live at Royal Albert Hall on  Wednesday the 24th?

3) Would you be interested in a group tour of Leavesden Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 27th?  Which day would work better for you?

https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/home

4) Would you be interested in a group tour of Abbey Road Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 27th?  Which day would work better for you?

https://www.abbeyroad.com/

5) Would you be interested in a group screening of a JW-scored film at the BFI IMAX some day that week?

http://www.bfi.org.uk/bfi-imax

1) Not sure yet, but we'll probably arrive on Thursday the 25th and depart on Sunday the 28th (three nights).

2) No.

3) Yes! Saturday would probably work better, because we're likely to be travelling on the 25th.

4) This would be nice, but I'd prefer to go to the Leavesden tour.

5) It depends on the film.

THanks for the replies so far; As I suspected, it seems many people will be staying in London Saturday after the concert, and many might not be be there on Thursday.

Wednesday - Saturday

Yes

Sure, Thursday.

Sure, Thursday or Friday.

Same days, yes.

Same here. The plan is to arrive on Friday morning and leave on Sunday night (I was actually already looking at flight schedules for a Friday-Sunday round trip and there are cheap fares on British Airways), as both me and my girlfriend cannot take too many days off from work in that period.

I'll come with my girlfriend and also with a pretty large group of friends from Italy. It would be nice to do something together with you guys on Saturday (other than the pre- or post-concert drinks on Friday).

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Just got an e-mail from the RAH. No plans to record/livestream the concert have been made yet, but if they change their minds in the future, the RAH website will advertise this.

So they've not made a decision yet... I hope that it’s only because it’s too early. It will be a historic event, absolutely unique. It will be a big loss if it’s not released as a blu-ray. Maybe it would be worth in time thinking about the petition? Of course, if they don't announce anything.

I'll bring in my huge 3D camera rig and crane. I'm sure the staff wont notice. It does say no video recording is allowed in the hall, but it wont be video, it'll be digital.

I don't have any microphones though, so it'll have to be a silent recording. 

On 26 February 2018 at 6:26 AM, publicist said:

Wednesday - Saturday

Yes

Sure, Thursday.

Sure, Thursday or Friday.

Same days, yes.

I am Definitly interested in a tour of Abbey Road, is this something that could actually be organised as I didn't think they offered tours?

I'm there for the Azkaban concert so I don't have anything to do on Thursday or Friday yet. Would have to look into what I'd be more interested in, Abbey Road or Leavesden Studios.

OK, sounds like we're gonna target a group Leavesden tour on Thursday the 25th and possibly a private Abbey Road tour on Saturday the 27th, so keep those dates open if those interest you.  More details as things gel together.

I'm wondering if there will be some collateral activities/events tied with JW's visit in London, such as a pre-concert talk with the Maestro or something like that.

Btw, I received yesterday my "Friend of Royal Albert Hall" envelope in my mailbox, with membership card and a small booklet with discounts, events description etc.

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I'm wondering if there will be some collateral activities/events tied with JW's visit in London, such as a pre-concert talk with the Maestro or something like that.

Maybe an after-party in JW's hotel suite? :sarcasm:

1) Approximately which days will you be in London for?  (IE, "I'll be there from Tuesday the 23rd through Sunday the 28th")

Our group of 5 Czech fans will probably arrive on Wednesday the 24th and leave on Saturday the 27th.

2) Are you also going to see Harry Potter 3 live at Royal Albert Hall on  Wednesday the 24th?

No.

3) Would you be interested in a group tour of Leavesden Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 27th?  Which day would work better for you?

Yes, we have already tried to buy tickets to Harry Potter tour but unfortunately it's already sold out in that week.
Jay, do you know some magic spell how to get there?

4) Would you be interested in a group tour of Abbey Road Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 27th?  Which day would work better for you?

Yes, we would be definitely interested in a group tour of Abbey Road Studios. In particular for me it would be my dream come true!

It depends on the film.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:02 AM, Jack said:

Damn it's already sold out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ☹️

I might have an extra ticket for you or someone else who doesn't have one but I will know closer to the time.

4 hours ago, ocelot said:

I might have an extra ticket for you or someone else who doesn't have one but I will know closer to the time.

Personally, I'd be very interested in this, and to accompany you, but, please...wear a shirt :lol:

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Personally, I'd be very interested in this, and to accompany you, but, please...wear a shirt :lol:

No skimpy bikini shorts then? But how am I to get JW’s attention?!?!