'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

No, don't worry Thor, you cannot be affected by this, cause nobody has the e-tickets you have except you. 

Actually you can't sell an e-ticket you didn't buy in the first place on the RAB website. Then, if you sell your e-ticket (for whatever reason) either your are honest and sell it to one person only (which I hope was my case) either you sell it to a lot. 

14 hours ago, Thor said:

What do you mean?

If you arrive at the venue, and someone is sitting in your seat -- and unwilling to move -- I'll just show the order info to the usher. That should sort it out.

I assume your ticket will be scanned at the entrance. The first one will enter, and the second (and third etc.) will not. My e-ticket has a barcode, so I assume that will be the process. I have never been to the RAH though.

1 hour ago, Caliburn said:

I assume your ticket will be scanned at the entrance. The first one will enter, and the second (and third etc.) will not. My e-ticket has a barcode, so I assume that will be the process. I have never been to the RAH though.

Yeah, I'm a bit dense, but I understand it now. I just thought these third party sellers were also able to sell "fake" tickets for people/seats that have regular, normal tickets (and have not resold).

Royal Albert Hall said it clear that they get the right to refuse entrance to anyone who bought their tickets from third-party resellers, so be very careful if you get one from those.

All the people who bought tickets from RAH directly shouldn't have any issue, btw. You also have a receipt with your payment info, so bring along that one too in case of unpleasant circumstances.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I'm a bit dense, but I understand it now. I just thought these third party sellers were also able to sell "fake" tickets for people/seats that have regular, normal tickets (and have not resold).

I guess that is both the case since you can buy "choir seat" tickets from that site that were not sold at all for this concert. I assume that most of them are "legit" tickets though. Just buy as much as possible. Keep the ones you need yourself and resell the rest.

I do not know if that site has some security in place for selling an e-ticket multiple times on those sites. I was curious and tried to edit a copy of my e-ticket to change the seat: it was password protected :-) But searching the Internet there are tools to hack the password. So it is probably possible to create extra fake tickets using the original one.

In summary: do not trust your reseller ticket.

Hollywood in Vienna posted this on Facebook today:

Dear all, we have been asked several times when our concerts are planned, this year. We are a little late but still had to talk with our this year's awardee. 
Now, things are clear and we will announce the awardee, soon (you will be happy, we guess 1f60e.png😎)!

Concert dates are: October 18th and 19th, 2018

We'll get back to you soon! 1f601.png😁1f3b6.png🎶1f3b6.png

As we suspected, this has GOT to be Williams, right? Timeframe is right and everything?

🎶

7 hours ago, Thor said:

As we suspected, this has GOT to be Williams, right? Timeframe is right and everything?

The timeframe is roughly the usual one, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Could be that they were trying to get Williams, hence the date, but couldn't, hence no announcement yet. ;)

(*If* he comes, my biggest worry is getting tickets at all. They usually sell out pretty quickly as it is, and the Konzerthaus's web shop usually just breaks down instead of providing a mostly stable queuing system like the RAH did)

58 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The timeframe is roughly the usual one, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Could be that they were trying to get Williams, hence the date, but couldn't, hence no announcement yet. ;)

Yeah, but they say "Now, things are clear", and seem to be in a positive mode. But no, I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

If it's Williams, it might provide a dilemma for me. Given my relationship to HIV (unfortunate abbreviation, I know), it might easier to get an interview there than in London. And I can't afford both. So if I'm all egotistical about it, I hope it's not Williams. But if I'm all solidaric and stuff, I hope it's him so that people who didn't get London tickets can get Vienna tickets instead.

Exciting times nonetheless!

I always call it HiV. ;) I'd obviously love it if it turns out to be Williams here as well. Especially if they can get him for a talk at the symposium as well, because that would be a true bonus and something we won't get at the London concert.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, but they say "Now, things are clear", and seem to be in a positive mode. But no, I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

If it's Williams, it might provide a dilemma for me. Given my relationship to HIV (unfortunate abbreviation, I know), it might easier to get an interview there than in London. And I can't afford both. So if I'm all egotistical about it, I hope it's not Williams. But if I'm all solidaric and stuff, I hope it's him so that people who didn't get London tickets can get Vienna tickets instead.

Exciting times nonetheless!

Sandra Tomek is doing those Zimmer concerts in Germany. I think Zimmer as a guest is more feasible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's now confirmed, as someone else (Caliburn?) already surmised: Hollywood in Vienna has Hans Zimmer, not John Williams. This per a press release that I received today.

Zimmer owes me an interview, so I might just try to make this happen -- even if I've seen him live several times before. We'll see -- this period is so jampacked with events!

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's now confirmed, as someone else (Caliburn?) already surmised: Hollywood in Vienna has Hans Zimmer, not John Williams. This per a press release that I received today.

Zimmer owes me an interview, so I might just try to make this happen -- even if I've seen him live several times before. We'll see -- this period is so jampacked with events!

Been trying to get hold of Hans as we'd love to get him in to do a talk at our College as we have a Film Music Degree, but you just can't break through the wall of the agents. 

Is this official then, Hollywood in Vienna is all about Hans this year? or is he actually there? or both? 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

The Austrian broadcasting news website announced that they would have the "Batman composer" this year. Since they had Elfman last year already, I hope they announce "the Batman composer" again next year, so I can finally get to see Goldenthal in person.

They also wrote that several of his works will be presented in completely new arrangements, which means that stuff like PotC might actually sound good with an orchestra (they managed to do that before), but also that it has even less to do with Zimmer's original compositions than the usual recompositions they regretfully keep doing for this series.

1 hour ago, aj_vader said:

Been trying to get hold of Hans as we'd love to get him in to do a talk at our College as we have a Film Music Degree, but you just can't break through the wall of the agents. 

Is this official then, Hollywood in Vienna is all about Hans this year? or is he actually there? or both? 

Traditionally, the second half of the concert will be dedicated to his works, potentially with one piece conducted by himself, and certainly with him receiving the Max Steiner award at the end of the concert. He might also give a talk at the symposium.

I imagine tickets will sell out even more quickly than usual (i.e. *very* quickly) this time. I also wonder why it's been several weeks since the (already rather late) announcement of the concert date and the official announcement of the awardee. Was Zimmer reluctant to come? Were they still trying to get Williams?

Geez, that's bloody disappointing considering Williams is in London one week later. Vienna is only 2 hours by plane!

He should've spent that week recording early concert pieces for Star Wars IX with the LSO!

• 2 weeks later...

Allright, thanks to upcomming concerts of JW in Vienna I am forced to sell my 2 ticket for London gig. Anyone interested?

1 hour ago, josefsuma said:

Allright, thanks to upcomming concerts of JW in Vienna I am forced to sell my 2 ticket for London gig. Anyone interested?

I'd wait until you have your Vienna tickets confirmed. This is going to sell out quickly.

2 hours ago, josefsuma said:

Definitively interested too! Put me in the queue right after hornist in case you get the Vienna tickets and decide to sell the London ones! Which ones did you got? how much for them?

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'd wait until you have your Vienna tickets confirmed. This is going to sell out quickly.

I know that it will be hard to get them, but as far as I planned London - it is only one big problem for me.

1) We are traveling with kids and we do not want to fly by plane so it means 16 hours in train over Europe to get there.

2) I have ticket for me and my wife, but we did not find out some who would be able look after our kids when we will be at the show.

3) ... there was also a third one, but I can not remeber :D

2 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Are you saying we will not be sharing our booth anymore? :(

It looks like. Trip to London looks very complicated for us, but I guess you will have next you others great fans of JW ;)

I just wanted to update people on some potential group activities I had brought up.

First was a potential group tour of Leavesden studios.  It turns out the whole week got booked up real quick, and we couldn't get another tour added on by pulling strings, so that's out.  I guess Halloween week is a popular time to visit where Harry Potter was filmed!

Second was a tour of Abbey Road.  Also not going to be happening it looks like.  Maybe we can attempt the public tour, but no extra special private tour.

Incidentally, we booked our flights and accommodations, and we'll be in London from Monday Oct 22 through Saturday Oct 27!  Then we're going to France for a week before coming home!

On 06/05/2018 at 2:31 PM, josefsuma said:

It looks like. Trip to London looks very complicated for us, but I guess you will have next you others great fans of JW ;)

Did you manage to pass on your tickets to anyone? I'd have bought them, but bad timing for me right now.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I guess Halloween week is a popular time to visit where Harry Potter was filmed!

The week commencing 22nd October is autumn half-term for most schools in the UK, so all the kids will be off school that week.  That would explain why something like Harry Potter is already booked up.

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

The week commencing 22nd October is autumn half-term for most schools in the UK, so all the kids will be off school that week.  That would explain why something like Harry Potter is already booked up.

I was wondering why just that week was full! Makes sense.

And I'll be in London the whole month of October, so I'm up for any other activities or JWFan meetups. Too bad HP and Abbey Road didn't work out, but thank you Jay for looking into it!

On 07/05/2018 at 3:35 PM, Jay said:

Incidentally, we booked our flights and accommodations, and we'll be in London from Monday Oct 22 through Saturday Oct 27!  Then we're going to France for a week before coming home!

Are you planning to spend some time in Paris? ;)

I was banned out of the queue few seconds before being able to get a ticket for the London concert, so I seek for at least one ticket for RAH concert.

Please help me, JWFan people, you're my only hope. Please...

• 2 weeks later...

Many pieces will probably be the same. But he usually varies between concerts.

Only consecutive concerts in the same venue are usually identical. Maybe a different encore.

I expect London to have a LOT of Potter, War Horse... maybe Jane Eyre.

It might go either way really. It's a first European JW concert in over 20 years. They might play it safe and not try to upset people who aren't us. ;)

Karol