'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

As a first time John Williams live watcher (unlike some of you guys clearly!) I've no idea what to expect from this show. Is there a standard sort of set list that he plays at shows like this or a standard list that he rotates work from? 

I've seen people talk about a guest conductor, so is it like the first half is conducted by someone else then Williams comes out for the end? 

Super excited about this! (and having quite the Williams year with Close Encounters previously... then Jurassic Park, this show AND Star Wars later) 

3 minutes ago, DarrenCarnall said:

As a first time John Williams live watcher (unlike some of you guys clearly!) I've no idea what to expect from this show. Is there a standard sort of set list that he plays at shows like this or a standard list that he rotates work from? 

I've seen people talk about a guest conductor, so is it like the first half is conducted by someone else then Williams comes out for the end? 

Super excited about this! (and having quite the Williams year with Close Encounters previously... then Jurassic Park, this show AND Star Wars later) 

I imagine if there was a guest conductor it would have been announced alongside the show/part of the concert itself, or at least I like to think so... 

However, John Williams I’m sure did a concert by himself earlier this year in February, although I’m not quite sure where (Philadelphia?), so perhaps it will be purely Williams at the Albert Hall. Or perhaps there will be a guest conductor for the first half, which I’m sure will be fine for most of the JWFanners, but I could understand how it may divide opinion..

11 hours ago, hornist said:

Has Johnny ever conducted Across The Stars live? It would be wonderful to hear that piece live by LSO in RAH, oh that horn unisono😍😍😍😍

I wonder whether the concert might focus on the JW/LSO collaborations specifically? Who knows.

Karol

Reality:

Star Wars

Rey’s Theme

The Imperial March

Dartmoor 1912

The Raiders March

Jurassic Park

Schindler’s List

Harry’s Wondrous World

Flying Theme from ET

Close Encounters

And maybe Flight to Neverland as an encore 

No, no. I've heard it this. Selections from:

DADDY-O

I PASSED FOR WHITE

THE SECRET WAYS

GIDGET GOES TO ROME

ALCOA PREMIERE THEATRE (suite)

JOHN GOLDFARB, PLEASE COME HOME

STORIA DI UNA DONNA (suite - the Cortina sequence)

IMAGES

The end.

I'd love a split of half the concert being classic, popular Williams and the other half being lesser known or at least not his most massive hits.

E.g.

First Half -

Sabrina

The Terminal

Lincoln

Stanley and Iris

The Cowboys

Etc etc

Second Half -

Jurassic Park

Star Wars

E.T

Jaws

Harry Potter

War Horse

Etc etc.

With this landmark occasion now only a few weeks away, it is remarkable that there have been so few details publicised to date apart from the fact that John Williams will be conducting the London Symphony Orchestra.  We knew the programme and guest soloist for the Vienna Philharmonic concerts several weeks ago, but this lack of information in some ways makes it all the more exciting.  Although I am lucky enough to have seen John Williams live before, the last time was as long ago as 1998 and I never thought when leaving the Barbican that evening that it would be twenty years before I would have the chance to see him again.

When the concert was announced I was just overjoyed at the prospect of seeing my musical hero again, but as the concert date nears I too am starting to speculate about what lies in store.  Here are a few random thoughts:

• No other conductor has been announced for this concert so far and it would be great if John Williams were able to conduct the whole thing himself.  It is rare for him to do so these days but not unprecedented and I am obviously hoping he can do the whole thing.  However, if there were another conductor to share conducting duties, who would it be?  I guess the most likely candidates would be Richard Kaufman, Keith Lockhart, John Wilson or even Gustavo Dudamel or Simon Rattle.
  • While cellist Johannes Moser has been announced for Vienna, there is no hint yet of any guest soloists for the LSO concert unless I have missed it.  If there is to be a soloist, who would you like to see and playing which piece(s)?
  • Following the recent sale of choir seats at the Royal Albert Hall I think it is unlikely that there will be a big screen for any of the selections, but again it is not unprecedented.  I have sat in the choir previously for concerts where there are a couple of smaller screens facing the choir so that the audience in those areas can still see the visual element.  Personally I am hoping for no big screen, although if Williams conducted one sequence live to picture I could certainly live with that.
  • I would love to hear one of Williams's less widely performed celebratory pieces, for example Celebrate Discovery or Liberty Fanfare.  As others have said, it would also be great to hear a mixture of classics such as Raiders March and less well known pieces.
  • I am really hoping that Williams features the 'Voice of Jupiter', the magnificent 9,999 pipe Royal Albert Hall organ.  When the RAH organ is played it is a unique experience to be in the audience.  It is made for Gloria from Monsignor (especially with the LSO connection)...
  • There is no mention of a choir so far but it would be brilliant if there was one.  The fact that choir seats have been sold does not rule out there being a choir in the slightest.  A very decent sized vocal ensemble can easily be accommodated towards the rear of the stage and this often happens at the Royal Albert Hall without the need to sacrifice any of the choir seats for Joe Public.
  • Although I know he is not conducting them, I wonder if Williams might take the opportunity to attend either of the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban live to picture screenings earlier in the week, seeing as he will presumably be in town anyway.

I guess we will know all this soon enough!

16 minutes ago, Omen II said:

if there were another conductor to share conducting duties, who would it be?  I guess the most likely candidates would be Richard Kaufman, Keith Lockhart, John Wilson or even Gustavo Dudamel or Simon Rattle.

•  

Funnily I looked up his dear friend Dudamel the other day- sadly he is conducting another concert in Berlin on the same day, so no chance of it being Dudamel if there is a guest MC

10 hours ago, Omen II said:

• No other conductor has been announced for this concert so far and it would be great if John Williams were able to conduct the whole thing himself.  It is rare for him to do so these days but not unprecedented and I am obviously hoping he can do the whole thing.  However, if there were another conductor to share conducting duties, who would it be?  I guess the most likely candidates would be Richard Kaufman, Keith Lockhart, John Wilson or even Gustavo Dudamel or Simon Rattle.
  • While cellist Johannes Moser has been announced for Vienna, there is no hint yet of any guest soloists for the LSO concert unless I have missed it.  If there is to be a soloist, who would you like to see and playing which piece(s)?
  • Following the recent sale of choir seats at the Royal Albert Hall I think it is unlikely that there will be a big screen for any of the selections, but again it is not unprecedented.  I have sat in the choir previously for concerts where there are a couple of smaller screens facing the choir so that the audience in those areas can still see the visual element.  Personally I am hoping for no big screen, although if Williams conducted one sequence live to picture I could certainly live with that.
  • I would love to hear one of Williams's less widely performed celebratory pieces, for example Celebrate Discovery or Liberty Fanfare.  As others have said, it would also be great to hear a mixture of classics such as Raiders March and less well known pieces.
  • I am really hoping that Williams features the 'Voice of Jupiter', the magnificent 9,999 pipe Royal Albert Hall organ.  When the RAH organ is played it is a unique experience to be in the audience.  It is made for Gloria from Monsignor (especially with the LSO connection)...
  • There is no mention of a choir so far but it would be brilliant if there was one.  The fact that choir seats have been sold does not rule out there being a choir in the slightest.  A very decent sized vocal ensemble can easily be accommodated towards the rear of the stage and this often happens at the Royal Albert Hall without the need to sacrifice any of the choir seats for Joe Public.
  • Although I know he is not conducting them, I wonder if Williams might take the opportunity to attend either of the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban live to picture screenings earlier in the week, seeing as he will presumably be in town anyway.

I guess we will know all this soon enough!

More details will be revealed in the coming weeks, I guess. But it's safe to assume the program will be akin to concerts he recently made, a mixture of classics and more recent works. Surely there will be emphasis on major standards like Star Wars, Harry Potter and Indiana Jones. Let's hope he will acknowledge the collaboration with the LSO by performing also something a bit unexpected like Dracula (the fact he conducted it several times in the last few years in LA and Tanglewood is a sign he likes the piece, so I think there's a good chance). Also, he may acknowledge his love of England by performing something from Jane Eyre or War Horse. But let's hope there will be surprises!

I don't think there will be another guest conductor handling the first half of the program. I'm pretty sure that if that'd be the case, it'd be already announced. Same for the presence of a major guest soloist.

Set-list confirmed by JW's agent, 30mins, ago:

Part 1

MISSION THEME

THE ASTEROID FIELD

SYURI'S THEME (fag break#1)

SNOWY'S THEME

tribute to JW and the LSO (featuring JANE EYRE/DRACULA/FIDDLER ON THE ROOF)

THEME FROM SUPERMAN

PRINCES LEIA'S THEME (tribute to Carrie Fisher)

ADVENTURES ON EARTH

Part 2

DUEL OF THE FATES (with LSO Chorus)

SUITE FROM CE3K

THE MARCH OF THE RESISTANCE (fag break#2)

WHERE DREAMS ARE BORN (featuring Barbara Bonney)

THE LAND RACE

HYMN TO THE FALLEN (with LSO Chorus)

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

Encores

GLORIA (with LSO Chorus)

EXULTATI JUSTI (with LSO Chorus)

STAR WARS

42 minutes ago, Richard said:

Part 1

MISSION THEME

THE ASTEROID FIELD

SNOW'S THEME

THEME FROM SUPERMAN

ADVENTURES ON EARTH

Part 2

SUITE FROM CE3K

THE LAND RACE

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

Encores

GLORIA (with LSC Chorus)

STAR WARS

Nice try Richard!

Aiheeseen liittyvä kuva

If only that were the real programme I would be a pretty happy JW fan.

45 minutes ago, Richard said:

Part 1

MISSION THEME

THE ASTEROID FIELD

SNOW'S THEME

THEME FROM SUPERMAN

ADVENTURES ON EARTH

Part 2

SUITE FROM CE3K

THE LAND RACE

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

Encores

GLORIA (with LSC Chorus)

STAR WARS

GgqTg8C.gif

On 9/16/2018 at 6:14 AM, Stefancos said:

They performed that to picture in Tanglewood and it was joyous!

One of my favorite concert moments!

Doesn't have to be. There were several Europeans at the meet up there.

5 hours ago, Omen II said:

John T. Williams Jr.

Marcy Le Blanc

Wink Goldenfinkel III +1

I think that’s everyone.

5 hours ago, Omen II said:

Ah, gotcha.  Wink’s an absolute blast though.

Also, its not Le Blanc, its LeBlanc!

;)