'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

There was never any reason to expect anything other than a greatest hits program

People will still complain when he doesn’t play some obscure cue though even though it was always going to be the big hits

Why does it say the European premiere of the new Han Solo & The Princess?  Wasn't one of the first Youtube videos of the new theme a Scottish orchestra or something?

EDIT:

Yep, here's the thread.   A performance in Glasgow

Of the the big hits it's only really missing Raiders and Jaws. 

Will E.T. feature the flying theme when they take flight? If it's the awful anticlimactic altenate arrangement I'll be sick. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Will E.T. feature the flying theme when they take flight? If it's the awful anticlimactic altenate arrangement I'll be sick. 

Adventure is the film finale.

Adventures is that misguided concert cue.

So unless it's a typo...

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Who knows? It was conducted to film in the Hollywood Bowl this year 

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Of the the big hits it's only really missing Raiders and Jaws. 

@Holko is correct.  It will be the standard concert version.

Ouch. Was a bit more predictable than even I had expected (and I expected it to be a 'greatest hits'). The inclusion of DRACULA is nice, otherwise a tad worse than expected in terms of war horses (and shame there was nothing from the actual WAR HORSE).

But what the hell -- as we've all said many times by now, this is less about the programme and more about the event itself.

sorry for talking about something less attractive...

i bought tickets from viagogo (and took a flight to London) in order to see the concert, i'm a very big fan and it's my 40th's birthday present.

i never got the tickets, they say that i will get the tickets as soon as they get it but i suspect that's never gonna happen 😞

if anyone has any spare tickets i'll be happy to purchase them.

(not sure if it's allright to post email info here so please reply how to reach you)

hope i'll be there for the show!!

59 minutes ago, toothless said:

Screen behind the orchestra then ?

The screen is there for the live to picture performances of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today and tomorrow. I would not assume it will still be there for the John Williams concert.

I'm happy to see there are 4 pieces on this programme that I've never heard being played live. You could have prepared 5 full concerts with great Williams material and not feel satisfied. So I'm good.

Karol

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Given that this is the first and only time I'll be seeing the Maestro perform (AND the LSO to boot), I'm personally very pleasantly surprised and happy about the set list. 

Which i find surprising, as englishman you had so much opportunity. I am by no means a total anglophile but even i managed to see the LSO (and sometimes Williams) about 10 times by now!

This programme was always to be predictable for anybody regularly goes to those kinds of events. After all it needs to satisfy the mainstream and give us something new. As such, I'm perfectly fine with it.

I bet Raider's March would one of the encores. The second one (if there is any)? The Adventures of Han would be nice actually. Or even Rey's Theme. Or something more obscure even.

Close Encounters is always a highlight for me. And I'm ecstatic to see Han Solo and The Princess, Dracula and Fawkes. So I'm good.

As for The BFG, I'm sort of warming up towards it.

Karol

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

Which i find surprising, as englishman you had so much opportunity. I am by no means a total anglophile but even i managed to see the LSO (and sometimes Williams) about 10 times by now!

I've been a total heathen when it comes to making the effort to see music performed. I saw the RPO with Howard Shore a few years back and that's my lot. Liverpool does actually put on a good season of orchestral music over the summer too, which I've been saying for years I need to go and see. 

Just now, publicist said:

It's just one kiddie piece with very similar traits too many. 

That is absolutely true. There's absolutely nothing in this that hasn't been done better elsewhere. But seeing the overall quality of film music a day, and keeping in mind Williams wrote this at the age of 84, you need to be bit more forgiving.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

I've been a total heathen when it comes to making the effort to see music performed. I saw the RPO with Howard Shore a few years back and that's my lot. Liverpool does actually put on a good season of orchestral music over the summer too, which I've been saying for years I need to go and see. 

You got a pretty good orchestra up there. Which Howard Shore concert did you see?

Karol