'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

The LOTR Symphony, in the Albert Hall. 

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Or even Rey's Theme. Or something more obscure even.

Oh shit I just realised there's nowt from TFA at all 😕

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I've been a total heathen when it comes to making the effort to see music performed. I saw the RPO with Howard Shore a few years back and that's my lot. Liverpool does actually put on a good season of orchestral music over the summer too, which I've been saying for years I need to go and see. 

Lack of enthusiasm! I travelled to London at the tender age of 19 to see Williams at the Barbican with a few friends. It was the World Cup and we were dead silent in the tube with the bloodthirsty hooligans!

I saw Desplat conduct the LSO, and had never before or since heard a brass section so perfect.

Just now, crocodile said:

How many encores do these concerts normally get? Two? Three?

Karol

He did three in Chicago. Marions Theme, Superman March, and Imperial March.

What shocked me about Desplat's concert is that these performances sounded really close to the album recordings. I previously assumed Desplat recorded some of his work with sections split up. But no.

Karol

I'm bloody chuffed that'll I'll be able to see The Throne Room played, with Williams directing it(!), however it also means the opening crawl will be sadly absent, but that's a minor disappointment in the scheme of things. I also would have loved a setpiece cue from one of the big marquee Williams movies, but if E.T. does follow the film edited version, then... my mind will be blown. 

Given that it's the LSO, I'd also be very surprised if something from Raiders didn't show up towards the end. 

That reminds me, I was a groomsman in a wedding for an old school friend this past Saturday.  For the introduction of the bridal party at the reception, he selected the Throne Room music!  It was pretty cool to walk into a giant hall filled with people to that music.

This will be the third (and probably last) time I see John Williams live, so there was bound to be some repetition (albeit a bit more than expected). The Boston concert in 2014 will be the most memorable programme for me -- and concert experience (due to the proximity to the stage) -- but this will probably be the biggest event or happening of them all, if you take the whole thing under consideration (JW returning to Europe after 20 years, the huge crowd of familiar faces making their pilgrimmage to London etc). So the set list is really just a bonus, I have to think about it that way.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, Richard said:

Set-list confirmed by JW's agent, 30mins, ago:

Part 1

MISSION THEME

THE ASTEROID FIELD

SYURI'S THEME (fag break#1)

SNOWY'S THEME

tribute to JW and the LSO (featuring JANE EYRE/DRACULA/FIDDLER ON THE ROOF)

THEME FROM SUPERMAN

PRINCES LEIA'S THEME (tribute to Carrie Fisher)

ADVENTURES ON EARTH

Part 2

DUEL OF THE FATES (with LSO Chorus)

SUITE FROM CE3K

THE MARCH OF THE RESISTANCE (fag break#2)

WHERE DREAMS ARE BORN (featuring Barbara Bonney)

THE LAND RACE

HYMN TO THE FALLEN (with LSO Chorus)

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

Encores

GLORIA (with LSO Chorus)

EXULTATI JUSTI (with LSO Chorus)

STAR WARS

I still prefer this set list.

22 minutes ago, publicist said:

Raiders and the Olympic Fanfare. He did that in 1996 (with a more interesting overall programme, with i. e. The Cowboys and a JFK suite)

You mean the entire 3-movement suite?

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

You mean the entire 3-movement suite?

It went something like 'Prologue'/'The Motorcade'/'Arlington' though they were a bit altered.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Smoking? In 2018?

Happy pills then.

45 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For the introduction of the bridal party at the reception, he selected the Throne Room music!  It was pretty cool to walk into a giant hall filled with people to that music.

Did anybody roar?

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Oh undoubtedly. 

Sadly I couldn’t get tickets for London, so it’s Vienna for me. Hopefully the encore(s)  feature at least some of the greatest hits. What I wouldn’t do to hear the Superman March over the elegy for cello. 

7 minutes ago, davefg said:

Sadly I couldn’t get tickets for London, so it’s Vienna for me. Hopefully the encore(s)  feature at least some of the greatest hits. What I wouldn’t do to hear the Superman March over the elegy for cello. 

I would swap, honestly.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

I would swap, honestly.

Karol

I would if I could. Am I been selfish thinking like this? Seeing JW in person with the VPO will be such a highlight and yet I feel somewhat disappointed with what will be played in Vienna compared to what will be performed in London. It seems the former is the B side concert while the latter is the a side. 

Exactly. One can almost feel the silent contempt, in his eyes.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Raiders and the Olympic Fanfare. He did that in 1996 (with a more interesting overall programme, with i. e. The Cowboys and a JFK suite)

Where, in 1996, did you see him conduct these, pub?

36 minutes ago, hornist said:

It is also worderful program in Vienna. And no Dracula. 

Sarcasm is the intelligence’s man wit don’t you know...

For those that want Raiders, when he conducted this year's Hollywood Bowl concert, he walked on and started with Raiders even though it wasn't listed on the program! Expect something similar. 

6 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Thanks for posting this!

I've already seen JW perform all these before, but I'm still excited as hell for this show!

10 hours ago, davefg said:

Sarcasm is the intelligence’s man wit don’t you know...

It wasn't sarcasm. The program in Vienna is wonderful, I would love to hear Olympic fanfare with the fabulous brass section of this orchestra. Geisha is so much better than Dracula. Rey's theme and Rebellion Reborn are awesome. 

Dear Customer,

A Celebration of John Williams in Concert - Friday 26 October 2018 

Unfortunately, owing to a last-minute illness, John Williams greatly regrets that he is no longer able to conduct this concert with the London Symphony Orchestra.  

John travelled to London but was taken ill and is in hospital, where he is receiving very good care. It is his wish that the performance should go ahead, and his colleague and dear friend Maestro Dirk Brossé has kindly agreed to conduct the LSO for this very special event.

Mr. Williams’ management said:  

"John is so sorry that an illness prevents him from conducting Friday's concert, and he’s grateful to his friend Maestro Dirk Brossé for taking the podium in his place. He so wishes he could be with everyone, and the knowledge that 5,000 of his friends will be joining together to celebrate his music is a great comfort to him as he recovers. He wishes everyone a very joyous evening of music.”

Brossé is Music Director of the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, and John Williams chose him as Principal Conductor of the Star Wars in Concert World Tour.

The Royal Albert Hall, London Symphony Orchestra and Dirk Brossé wish Maestro Williams well for a speedy recovery.

We do hope that you will enjoy this very special evening. If you have any questions please contact the box office on 020 7589 8212 with the name and order number attached to your booking.

If you have booked Hospitality tickets we will contact you directly.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Royal Albert Hall on Friday.

Yours faithfully,

Royal Albert Hall

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

I wish Mr Williams a quick recovery.

Very disappointing to have traveled from the Antipodes and for this to have happened, though it was always a risk given his age. I'm sure the experience with the LSO in the RAH will still make it worth it.

Just received this e-mail...

Dear Customer,

A Celebration of John Williams in Concert - Friday 26 October 2018 

Unfortunately, owing to a last-minute illness, John Williams greatly regrets that he is no longer able to conduct this concert with the London Symphony Orchestra.  

John travelled to London but was taken ill and is in hospital, where he is receiving very good care. It is his wish that the performance should go ahead, and his colleague and dear friend Maestro Dirk Brossé has kindly agreed to conduct the LSO for this very special event.

Mr. Williams’ management said:  

"John is so sorry that an illness prevents him from conducting Friday's concert, and he’s grateful to his friend Maestro Dirk Brossé for taking the podium in his place. He so wishes he could be with everyone, and the knowledge that 5,000 of his friends will be joining together to celebrate his music is a great comfort to him as he recovers. He wishes everyone a very joyous evening of music.”

Brossé is Music Director of the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, and John Williams chose him as Principal Conductor of the Star Wars in Concert World Tour.

The Royal Albert Hall, London Symphony Orchestra and Dirk Brossé wish Maestro Williams well for a speedy recovery.

We do hope that you will enjoy this very special evening. If you have any questions please contact the box office on 020 7589 8212 with the name and order number attached to your booking.

If you have booked Hospitality tickets we will contact you directly.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Royal Albert Hall on Friday.

Yours faithfully,

Royal Albert Hall