'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

1 minute ago, scc said:

I don't know how these things work on this site/forum as im brand new - but the Fans here could send him something combined. Well wishes, a gift, something, somehow to let the guy know we're backing him for a recovery and understand his choice.

Good idea! 

But I think most people here are too bummed out over the canceled concerts right now....

I just hope it's nothing bizarre, like the long flight taking a toll on his pacemaker or whatever. We'll probably never know. I'm surprised he/they waited so long to fly to London, so not enough time for recovery.

1 hour ago, davefg said:

To early to tell. Based on the feedback on the RAH Twitter account there’s an large number of people canceling. I guess the news has still to filter out. 

More tickets for the London concert are becoming available on the RAH website. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Terrible news!

First of all, I wish Williams a speedy recovery. If he's still in London, he should have great health care service.

Have you been to London? 

It's not bad (especially if you're rich), but it's far from the best.

The idea to send something to him came up earlier, but we don't know which hospital he's at.

Maybe if somebody snoops it there could be a card everyone at the pre-meeting signs?

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I just hope it's nothing bizarre, like the long flight taking a toll on his pacemaker or whatever. We'll probably never know. I'm surprised he/they waited so long to fly to London.

This. Frankly, he should have come to Europe sooner or not at all at his age. 

I hope he's not too sick to travel home or something...

Seriously, what could it have been? Heart attack? Stroke? He fell down and broke something? What?

Somehow I don't think it's your typical influenza, even a bad case of it.

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

The idea to send something to him came up earlier, but we don't know which hospital he's at.

Maybe if somebody snoops it there could be a card everyone at the pre-meeting signs?

Via management they may accept it. Someone here had a contact at LSO so maybe find a route that way?

That is a VERY good idea to do it at the pre meet - the meetup is the ideal place to get this done, and those fan are the ones who can put it into the right words.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Not sure I’ve ever been more disappointed in my life. My only chance to see him... gone.

I really hope it’s not too serious. 

Exactly the same feeling. A huge huge dissapointment.

This year has been such a roller coaster... But this concert was huge for me since after more than 2 decades of being a fan, I knew it was my only chance to see him alive. I started without tickets, and spent all spring/summer really frustrated for having lost my chance, and then after months of looking for unafordable options I was able to get tickets last minute on the re-sell of September!

Has been really anxious and excited since then. I was a bit afraid of something like this due to his age, but yesterday with the setlist was like a reasuring that this was going to happen... and now this.

I really hope he gets well and is able to continue composing soon. Otherwise I would fill a bit responsible of "killing" the maestro cause I wanted to see him once.

If I could draw, I'd do a little personalised card so someone in London can get it printed instead of a generic sappy giftshop card. Anyone feeling up to that?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

If I could draw, I'd do a little personalised card so someone in London can get it printed instead of a generic sappy giftshop card. Anyone feeling up to that?

I'll have free time in London over the next two days. Happy to get this printed if needed. I can't draw though :)

Anyone in contact with the draing guy you bring up many times? Even if only for using one of his sketches here, it'd be a much more personal thing.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Dirk Brossé should just wear a turtle neck and JW mask and tell the Schindler’s List story, then I’ll be happy. 

Well.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Williams-Celebrity-Fancy-Dress/dp/B079TWN16W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539445332&sr=8-1&keywords=john+williams+Celebrity+Mask%2C+Card+Face+and+Fancy+Dress+Mask

(credit to @Doug Adams for tweeting that link out)

1 hour ago, zoltan_902 said:

Maybe JW can persuade Steven Spielberg to hop on a plane and compere the concert with Brosse as a slightly heftier consolation to ticket holders. I know it sounds facetious, but Spielberg might feel sympathy for the audience.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if JJ Abrams stepped in and delivered a brief message at the start of the concert.

He's already in London shooting SW IX, to the best of my knowledge.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if JJ Abrams stepped in and delivered a brief message at the start of the concert.

I think location shooting in Jordan is on at the moment 

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That would be nice, although I really dont care about this JJ kid.

Anyway I doubt somebody that is in the middle of shooting a huge blockbuster has time for attending concerts. They usually work major hours.

1 minute ago, jacksbrain said:

That would be nice, although I really dont care about this JJ kid.

Anyway I doubt somebody that is in the middle of shooting a huge blockbuster has time for attending concerts. They usually work major hours.

Abrams came from shooting TFA to give a quick speech before Giacchino's Star Trek live to projection performance at the Albert Hall. Incidentally, this was also the night where I told Andy Serkis he couldn't sit next to me at the on-site bar in one of those slow motion "what the hell are you doing?!" moments (the seat was taken by my partner who had just gone to the gents at the time).

For Abrams to show up at a John Williams concert while he's in town shooting another SW movie is totally within the realms of possibility, if he isn't shooting on location somewhere anyway.

I hope Williams’ illness isn’t anything to serious and wish him a quick recovery.

I feel for all of you expecting to see him, especially those who are traveling a great distance. 

But I’ve seen Brosse conduct in person and he will do an outstanding job.

3 minutes ago, Alan said:

For Abrams to show up at a John Williams concert while he's in town shooting another SW movie is totally within the realms of possibility, if he isn't shooting on location somewhere anyway.

Jordan is only 4 hours from London by plane. I'm sure the second unit director could step in for one day, if Williams did ask Abrams/Kennedy such a favour.

I hope John Williams is well soon.

I'm sorry for all of your disappointments - both concert-related and financial.  That sucks too!

I've never been much of a concert person, but hopefully you guys still get a chance to meet up!  That's the part I was personally jealous of!

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

This event will be a celebration of the man, at a time when it's most fitting. It's a previlege if we can be part of that. 

Very well put. I'm sure the musicians in the LSO will be feeling even more honoured to perform his music now, given the circumstances.

16 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Thank you. I'm actually quite disgusted by some of the people on here. As excited as everyone was to see him conduct, some for the first time, the way people turned and started foul mouthing the situation, some without the thought of even wishing Williams a speedy recovery says more to me than anything else. I knew there was a reason I told Stefan I'd rather not go to the dinner to meet most people on here, even though I do really like some of you quite a bit. Williams life might be on the line right now and all some of you can think about is how inconvenient it is that he will not be there? What kind of world do you people live in? I would say I'm shocked but really, the way I have seen some of you talk on here, I'm not sure what I am. Gross! I'm heartbroken that he is that ill. I said from the start I wish he would not do this journey. I just got to London a few days ago to see Harry Potter and the concert with him. I do not care that he will not show up. I only care that he gets better and gets back to LA in health. What is wrong with you people?

Fair enough - I assume you will be signing the card tho right?

Just now, leeallen01 said:

LA to London is 12 hours. Even I feel like shit after that length of flight and I'm only 29. 

Wow! I completely forgot the flight was this long; I was mixing it up with the NY-London duration.

It takes me 14 hours to reach LA from Melbourne and it's horrible. Full credit to JW for even attempting this at his age, not to mention additional flights planned further into Europe.

2 minutes ago, scc said:

Fair enough - I assume you will be signing the card tho right?

If a card gets handed to me to sign, of course I will sign it! The card is for Williams.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow! I completely forgot the flight was this long; I was mixing it up with the NY-London duration.

It takes me 14 hours to reach LA from Melbourne and it's horrible. Full credit to JW for even attempting this at his age, not to mention additional flights planned further into Europe.

Exactly. He clearly really wanted to do these with a passion. So much that he got ill attempting to fulfill them. He is an unbelievable human being, and I personally want to thank him so much for giving me one of the best moments of my life in Chicago seeing him conduct, and for trying his best to conduct over here in Europe.