'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

1 minute ago, davefg said:

At least there’s the Brian Tyler concert in London this weekend 

If I can make it (and nothing goes wrong in my travelling plans tomorrow), I'll be there too. Not a big fan, but I was offered a free ticket. Anyone else from JWFAN going to this?

1 minute ago, Thor said:

If I can make it (and nothing goes wrong in my travelling plans tomorrow), I'll be there too. Not a big fan, but I was offered a free ticket. Anyone else from JWFAN going to this?

I just bought a ticket for 16 pound! 

12 minutes ago, PetePan said:

Dirk Brossé already rehearsing with the LSO. (Source: @maxinekwokadams)

C2EDE135-7B63-4E9C-B2D3-7FEC00ADAFC8.jpeg

What a pissed off looking bunch of musos. Poor them. :( 

This does not mean to say Brossè is a terrible replacement - no way. Just the chance for them to be conducted under the baton of Williams being ripped away from them the morning of their rehearsal must be gutting. 

Get well soon Mr Williams!

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nice to see Brossé at it already. I wonder if he was always a "backup" or if he was just in London to attend the concert as an audience member, and then stepped in on short notice -- like you sometimes see in airplane movies when something happens to the pilot, and the stewardess asks if there are any "pilots among the passengers"?

He was doing the rehearsals anyway. Williams was only going to do 1 run through of the program in one rehearsal. 

7 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Is he not good?

If the rumors around the Superman movie fiasco in 2006 are to be believed, he is a lot more hardnosed that you would think - guess you have to be in the movie bizzz

Just now, scc said:

If the rumors around the Superman movie fiasco in 2006 are to be believed, he is a lot more hardnosed that you would think - guess you have to be in the movie bizzz

?

43 minutes ago, JTGL said:

I just bought a ticket for 16 pound! 

How exactly? There are STILL tickets on StubHub for £500 in the circle! Incredible.

6 minutes ago, scc said:

How exactly? There are STILL tickets on StubHub for £500 in the circle! Incredible.

I think he was talking about the Tyler concert, not the Williams concert.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think he was talking about the Tyler concert, not the Williams concert.

Yes the Brian Tyler concert. 

Yes, wish him a speedy recovery and good health and no feelings of guilt or feeling like he let down his fans, as it is not his fault.

But to speak more crassly and selflishly than I usually would...

As I cannot travel from the UK to the USA, I thought I would be able to see John Williams conduct a concert before he passed away. Now I must accept that, by the smallest of margins, I have not been able to see John Williams live during our shared lifetimes. Ever thankful for his existence though!

3 minutes ago, JTGL said:

Y

Yes the Brian Tyler concert. 

Nice score! That will be well worth going to I would say.

Where was the setlist posted?

Is it likely JW will do any concerts in the States in 2019? I felt this was my one chance to see him live so feel like travelling to America is my only option now 

Quite interestingly - sites like StubHub, Viagogo etc have tickets still listed even with the rider he is not appearing, for several hundred pounds above face value.

Viagogo was stating that tickets worth £400 had "just sold" and showed updates of sales in progress - I know its a complete scam from the get go, but its just amazing that it does this directly to entice a quick sale/rally up the pressure on buyers generally. Keep away from them I say.

I wonder if RAH is offering any kind of promo code or discount /reduced price? seems to be a lot of primary boxes and such empty.

Would encourage everyone with tickets to ask for an upgrade on the night, or prior, if they are inconvenienced - I suspect the main desk would do it just before the gig starts. In the past I have asked about an upgrade and got it (well - once - this was for the Giacchino 50th concert, which was awesome).

5 minutes ago, scc said:

Quite interestingly - sites like StubHub, Viagogo etc have tickets still listed even with the rider he is not appearing, for several hundred pounds above face value.

And as I read on Twitter, they don't do refunds... 

I definitely avoid those scammers.

46 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Is he not good?

I think he's intermittently great.  I get why Bilbo doesn't like his work, but I think he takes it too far with his personal judgments/insults against him as a person/collaborator, not actually knowing him personally.  I'll make fun of his look and his overcaffeinated demeanor, but I try to keep it to "all in good fun" territory.

1 hour ago, tmarps said:

What a pissed off looking bunch of musos. Poor them. :( 

This does not mean to say Brossè is a terrible replacement - no way. Just the chance for them to be conducted under the baton of Williams being ripped away from them the morning of their rehearsal must be gutting. 

Get well soon Mr Williams!

That was my first thought re the orchestra. 

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Well said.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Well said.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:17 AM, tmarps said:

I'm guilty of StubHub; your story and fear sounds similar to mine. My ticket is from there and although I have had many opportunities to use e-tickets from trusty JWFanners I've gone with my StubHub ticket which looks legitimate! Stalls J Row 6 Seat 42 by the way... If anyone is close to me (or legitimately has this seat..... :( ) give me a shout!! Looking forward to it

VERY VERY well said !

I'am 46 and was waiting for this since 1989. JW  saved my problematic life, at that time, and since then I've become a fan of him, waaay before here in Italy many people knew his name and, at the end, soundtracks gained the spotlight that we are seeing in those last years.

For me, since last february, this was going to be a totally unpredictable gift and occasion, the very first and, most probably, the very last occasion to see The Man.

I paid a lot of money (Viagogo, blaaammme on you) for tickets, flights and hotel, but I never minded: it was going to be a dream come true.

Now I feel destroyed, because I've the gut feeling that JW is..... and that my dream is broken forever.

From a musical point of view, it still will be an interesting concert, but from the point of view of my personal life it is a total wreck. And definitvely I don't mind about the money paid.

I wish you to get well as soon as possible, John: I'll attend to the concert anyway and possibly celebrate you in the best way possible.

Alessandro

23 minutes ago, Quintus said:

End of the day, seeing the LSO play Star Wars, Superman and probably Raiders ain't nothing to be sniffed at. Especially considering I'm like 10ft away from the players. I'm just gonna absorb it.

Plus you get to meet some people. :)

Karol

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

unbelievable how many people are cancelling, I hope it won't be all empty.

Well I guess we're finally going to find out how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

I spoke to a lady there before over something, and I brought up the refund request numbers and the atmosphere. She reassured me that there were "many, many people still coming" and that it was going to be packed out. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I spoke to a lady there before over something, and I brought up the refund request numbers and the atmosphere. She reassured me that there were "many, many people still coming" and that it was going to be packed out. 

I agree with this. The place would have been packed out even if Williams was never scheduled to conduct. His music always sells.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Calm down, swearing and other expletive responses are a common form of expressing great shock and disappointment at something. It's venting, hot air. Also, not all of us have regular easy access to London nor the RAH and might have made major logistical and financial allowances in order to attend the concert in question. I think the strong if perhaps unpalatable reactions were justified. As for Williams' unfortunate state of health, it should go without saying that we of course all wish him speedy recovery (we're all big fucking fans of his here, right?) and we are collectively very saddened by his unavoidable predicament.

But for you to just wade in and start judging others for their gutted reactions in this thread, it's pretty shitty.

Well said.

I have no idea how much some of you must've spent to get over here, but I'm betting that in some cases it was enough to make some colourful language emerge when we found out about JW's unfortunate situation. I came rather close to trying to go to Tanglewood 6 or 7 years ago, and news like this would've taken steam out of the whole thing.

I also think there's a tendency here to want to be seen to be grateful for whatever we're given. But in this case, there's no question, people were travelling from far and wide to see Williams.