'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

2 minutes ago, Damien F said:

I agree with this. The place would have been packed out even if Williams was never scheduled to conduct. His music always sells.

Agreed. Film music concerts where I live are always among the most popular.

While I'm out of the country at the moment, I live in an hour by train from London, and if I had tickets I'd still go.  Why not? In fact if the concert had been planned with Brosse all along I still likely would have gotten tickets. JW not being there is disappointing, to be sure, but I think it will still be an amazing evening. That incredible music performed by the LSO led by JW's hand picked composer? What's not to like? You lot who are still going will have a spectacular time, I'm sure.

That said, if I were flying in and still had the option of getting a refund my concert tickets, airfare, hotel, etc...yeah,then I'd think about passing.

Just now, aj_vader said:

I haven't even been able to post here today I've been that disappointed and naturally I'm worried for Mr.Williams. I've been listening to his music and the tears are forming. It's still the London Symphony Orchestra playing Close Encounters, E.T, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter and Star Wars, it's still probably going to be the best concert I've been to. 

Yes!

If I'd chosen to go, I still would. But that's mainly because it's an evening out for me, and not a vacation.

The concert will still be awesome - hearing a live orchestra is always a special experience. But this downgrades it from a 'once in a lifetime' thing.

I was last at the RAH to see Star Trek live to picture and boy was that a memorable experience. The sound in that place is incredible.

These concerts are the main reason we know he is ill. Mike Matessino mentioned a 'routine illness' so it is possible (if not probable) that this is an issue that crops up for JW now and again, and he has had hospital visits for it before. But as he didn't have to cancel anything, none of us knew about it.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

If I'd chosen to go, I still would. But that's mainly because it's an evening out for me, and not a vacation.

The concert will still be awesome - hearing a live orchestra is always a special experience. But this downgrades it from a 'once in a lifetime' thing.

My situation exactly.

’Once in a lifetime’ to a brilliant night out.

10 minutes ago, Damien F said:

I agree with this. The place would have been packed out even if Williams was never scheduled to conduct. His music always sells.

Yes. Even still, a concert is a concert. It's always really enjoyable the odd time I'm able to get out to the local orchestra for a performance, no matter what it is.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I vote for this.

Singing hope you get well soon to Ce3K is a brilliant idea, and if not in concert, post it on the twitter/instagram from the pre meeting! Laughter is the best medicine, JW will get a kick out it for sure. Besides - you guys need the singing practice.... ;-)

5 minutes ago, acicero said:

I can't believe some of the attitudes here. Sorry you're mad that you will lose some money on your flights/hotels but the dude is obviously becoming frail. I saw him in Cleveland and he had difficulty speaking for long periods of time. I felt so bad, and it makes me sick that people are getting pissed because he had to cancel.

If this is the case where’s his management ? I presume he would have had medical checks before flying?

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

You answered it yourself before.  Blank avatars.  That's often what they do.

What exactly do "blank avatars" do?

So.............. why are RAH insisting on keeping their insance price tiers on the show when the main drawcard of seeing JW in person is no longer part of the package? I was hoping some of the premium tickets would come down to "normal RAH" prices for example, like the HP3 concert or SW concert this year. But no, the pricing is the same as earlier:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

6 minutes ago, scc said:

What exactly do "blank avatars" do?

Appear seemingly just to self righteously scold others typically for a completely imagined injustice.  Like if I said I was sick to my stomach because you are trying to capitalize on Williams' condition by getting reduced ticket prices for better seats.

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Can I just write I'm perplexed at some people's atttitudes towards 'complainers'? Can you just stop and think for a moment about what some people are bound to have had to arrange to come to London on a weekday in October? Obviously we're all desperate for him to get well soon, but, personally, numerous questions pop into my mind, like:

- Why rush him to a country two days before the actual concert?

- Why not organise this concert in, I dunno, 2010 instead?

- Why not just wait till he gets better and try and reschedule it or have him present there?

- If it's so routine, why fly him home right away? Wouldn't that make him feel even worse?

I imagine the LSO has quite a busy schedule so that might be a problem. Also there may be VISA issues for JW?

I agree though about why he’s waited until 2018 to come.

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Appear seemingly just to self righteously scold others typically for a completely imagined injustice.  Like if I said I was sick to my stomach because you are trying to capitalize on Williams' condition by getting reduced ticket prices for better seats.

How exactly is that the case? I think that is a tad unfair. What I said was that the pricing does not reflect the nature of the new concert - £2k for a loggia box seat? Cmon. That's not in line with what SW in concert seats or other Williams concerts currently price at for the venue. Sorry if that came across as being on the nose.

If you meant the comment I made about folks upgrading their seats if they are attending - that's about the fact that a lot of fans got whatever seats they could at the time and sometimes not what they wanted, and if they are coming from far away or spending a lot to attend they may want to opt for better seats now there are some returns or just ask RAH on the night. To make the most of their evening. Cos they came a long way.

Ironically - your comments appear to self righteously scold others for a completely imagined injustice.....

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Can I just write I'm perplexed at some people's atttitudes towards 'complainers'? Can you just stop and think for a moment about what some people are bound to have had to arrange to come to London on a weekday in October? Obviously we're all desperate for him to get well soon, but, personally, numerous questions pop into my mind, like:

- Why rush him to a country two days before the actual concert?

- Why not organise this concert in, I dunno, 2010 instead?

- Why not just wait till he gets better and try and reschedule it or have him present there?

- If it's so routine, why fly him home right away? Wouldn't that make him feel even worse?

This. I mean why not take precautions with his last European tour? Why only arrive 2 days before when it would take some time recover from the jet lag? 

8 minutes ago, davefg said:

This. I mean why not take precautions with his last European tour? Why only arrive 2 days before when it would take some time recover from the jet lag? 

I think you have to give JW and his team credit for being ADULTS and PROFESSIONALS who know what they are doing and had done all they could to make this event happen, and I can imagine, make it comfortable/enjoyable/paced properly for JW and his concert team. No one involved was trying to make this harder than it needed to be, I would imagine it was the complete reverse.  Asking about why didn't they do this or why didn't they do that is pointless - even if it looks obvious to you that it should've been done a certain way - this is not their first rodeo, and there are probably a million variables/complications involved that we don't know about. End of the day, the guy gave it a shot based on best endeavours and due to factors out of their control it didn't work out. It can happen with any gig or tour.......

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

That was the point.  Get it?

Well - not really - but you've been a member of the forum for a helluva lot longer than me so will take your comments as a correction I deserved.

5 minutes ago, scc said:

Well - not really - but you've been a member of the forum for a helluva lot longer than me so will take your comments as a correction I deserved.

Dude.  It was an example of what you asked, what blank avatars do.  I told you what they do and then gave an example.  Good grief.

1 minute ago, scc said:

I think you have to give JW and his team credit for being ADULTS and PROFESSIONALS who know what they are doing and had done all they could to make this event happen, and I can imagine, make it comfortable/enjoyable/paced properly for JW and his concert team. No one involved was trying to make this harder than it needed to be, I would imagine it was the complete reverse.  Asking about why didn't they do this or why didn't they do that is pointless - even if it looks obvious to you that it should've been done a certain way - this is not their first rodeo, and there are probably a million variables/complications involved that we don't know about. End of the day, the guy gave it a shot based on best endeavours and due to factors out of their control it didn't work out. It can happen with any gig or tour.......

Well when was the last time he went to Europe? Honestly I think he should have come earlier based on how long it takes to recover from jet lag let alone the health issue.

58 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Odds are the Maestro will be listening in on Classic FM. How about JWFanners attending sing ‘hope you get well soon’ to the tune of of the 5 note CE3K motif as the LSO warms up? Led by Jay of course.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I vote for this.

Thanks Mr. Breathmask and all you other supporters!  I reckon we could get the whole RAH audience singing along in rondo and give the Maestro a probably much needed boost. 

btw I've come thru the personal outrage of extortionate unrefundable ticket prices paid to ticket sellers of less than dubious reputation, sacrifices made, how could his management let him do this, etc etc.

The likely truth, as I see it, is that the Maestro, lets face it, coming to terms with his impending mortality, took a gamble on travelling to conduct the LSO (the orchestra that launched him to worldwide acclaim) and Vienna (the hub of European orchestral culture) before the end - his bucket list if you will.  Yes he should have done this earlier, and yes I'd rather he'd not travelled and saved himself for Episode IX etc etc, but its his choice, his life, so I'm not going to criticize.

The fact is that the poor guy is lying in a hospital far from home with a concert dedicated to him going on a just a stones throw away and I for one will happily swallow the (nearly) crippling expense and inconvenience (admittedly little) of joining the LSO and JW fans in the celebration. Phew.

All together now: "Hope you Get Well Soon"CE3K.gif

45 minutes ago, acicero said:

I can't believe some of the attitudes here. Sorry you're mad that you will lose some money on your flights/hotels but the dude is obviously becoming frail. I saw him in Cleveland and he had difficulty speaking for long periods of time. I felt so bad, and it makes me sick that people are getting pissed because he had to cancel.

Maybe Williams had no business ever making the date in the first place then. Going ahead and announcing the event regardless, getting fans excited - even though he knew there was a good chance he might dash their hopes anyway... it was little more than careless wishful thinking.

Oh no he di-int!

5 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Thanks Mr. Breathmask and all you other supporters!  I reckon we could get the whole RAH audience singing along in rondo and give the Maestro a probably much needed boost. 

btw I've come thru the personal outrage of extortionate unrefundable ticket prices paid to ticket sellers of less than dubious reputation, sacrifices made, how could his management let him do this, etc etc.

The likely truth, as I see it, is that the Maestro, lets face it, coming to terms with his impending mortality, took a gamble on travelling to conduct the LSO (the orchestra that launched him to worldwide acclaim) and Vienna (the hub of European orchestral culture) before the end - his bucket list if you will.  Yes he should have done this earlier, and yes I'd rather he'd not travelled and saved himself for Episode IX etc etc, but its his choice, his life, so I'm not going to criticize.

The fact is that the poor guy is lying in a hospital far from home with a concert dedicated to him going on a just a stones throw away and I for one will happily swallow the (nearly) crippling expense and inconvenience (admittedly little) of joining the LSO and JW fans in the celebration. Phew.

All together now: "Hope you Get Well Soon"CE3K.gif

What he said. Cmon, this is the least we can do.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

If I can make it (and nothing goes wrong in my travelling plans tomorrow), I'll be there too. Not a big fan, but I was offered a free ticket. Anyone else from JWFAN going to this?

Duh 🙂

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Maybe Williams had no business ever making the date in the first place then. Going ahead and announcing the event regardless, getting fans excited - even though he knew there was a good chance he might dash their hopes anyway... it was little more than careless wishful thinking.

Oh no he di-int!

He gave it a shot. He is a professional. He took an educated and thought out approach to it cos he's been around awhile. Yes - he could've stayed in LA and had a concert there to which you could buy tickets and a flight to, stayed in a hotel and gone to Disneyland then listened to on repeats on Classical FM. I honestly don't get this chain of reasoning, its like some form of  cognitive dissonance.

1 hour ago, acicero said:

The way you're describing him here (and I will gladly take your word for everything you wrote) makes it sound even less responsible for him to have travelled at all.

I felt so bad, and it makes me sick that people are getting pissed because he had to cancel.

Well perhaps you should check yourself into hospital as well!