'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

Probably a video message from John. Unfortunately, the Vienna concert next Saturday was likely the only chance to see my favorite composer in person (being a composer myself), completely devastated. And since I got non-refundable tickets to Vienna and the hotel as well, I am still going. Might as well make a day out of it at least. So devastating. Hope John feels better very soon, and that everyone tomorrow has the most amazing time!

I think the special thing they are refering to is just the quality of the concert, not anything specific.

I was thinking that what if John actually shows up just to watch or even conduct 1 piece as the encore. Although it would be amazing, it would be a kick in the teeth to those who cancelled because of money and long travel times etc.

So if Williams is able to make an appearance, it would probably be worse for some if he did.

16 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I think the special thing they are refering to is just the quality of the concert, not anything specific.

I was thinking that what if John actually shows up just to watch or even conduct 1 piece as the encore. Although it would be amazing, it would be a kick in the teeth to those who cancelled because of money and long travel times etc.

So if Williams is able to make an appearance, it would probably be worse for some if he did.

You seriously expect that he can "show" up in the flesh at the concert?

I talked about insurances in one of my last post, you surely missed that one! ;)

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I suspect they are alluding to this:

I heard it was steven spielberg on a unicycle 😂

3 hours ago, PetePan said:

Wow, we are at Stalls O, row 6.

2/3 of this row (and row 7 and 9) are vacant now.

Enough leg space I would say...😁 

Im stalls g2 near the stage. Fancy upgrading to a box now though 😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

If he's out of hospital I'm thinking he will at least walk on stage and wave.  If he performs, can people who cancelled sue the venue?

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

You seriously expect that he can "show" up in the flesh at the concert?

I talked about insurances in one of my last post, you surely missed that one! ;)

No, not really, but I do have a horrible feeling that for the people that aren't going because of his cancellation, will then be utterly destroyed if he did show up for anything at all.

I just assumed he would be out now. Not trying to be inappropriate or disrespectful, I'm just a terrified idiot hoping that my decision to cancel this afternoon, after long consideration, doesn't bite me back.

I now also have a box ticket. Box first half stalls second half. Why the hell not. 😁

1 minute ago, JWFanWales said:

Why cancel? 

Anyone know if JJ Abrams is in the UK or filming in the desert?    Spielberg in the UK?

He is ill in hospital. 

3 minutes ago, JWFanWales said:

Why cancel? 

Anyone know if JJ Abrams is in the UK or filming in the desert?    Spielberg in the UK?

I think JJ is in Jordan right now.

On 10/24/2018 at 12:20 AM, Jay said:

Thanks for posting this!

I've already seen JW perform all these before, but I'm still excited as hell for this show!

What - not indiana jones!??? or Ryan????? What the hey!!!! 😉

I just got tickets cos in fact, I am very keen to hear JW's work performed by the quintessential LSO and the conductor who JW hand picked to perform his work. i think this is going to be amazing and everyone who is going, is going to have an amazing night.

John - you will me missed, but not forgotten. Get well soon. We dont care how long it takes.

I DONT KNOW WHO IS STILL READING THIS THREAD - BUT PLEASE TELL ME THE SIGNED CARD AT THE PRE SHOW MEET UP IS HAPPENING.

Cos it needs to happen. And will be a massive deal/impact. And should happen. And just do it. And raise a glass at the venue to Mr W.

I AM PRACTICING MY WILD SIGNALS RIGHT NOW TO SING ALONG WITH YOU ALL!!!

Still feeling excited tonight - not as much as I would have been, but up there with Giacchino's 50th, and a couple other Williams nights I've seen at the RAH over the years.

Of course, this was going be THE one - my wife and I had been joking over the months saying 'how much would it take for you to part with those golden tickets' and we got to about a hypothetical £10,000 per ticket before I could bear it!

Here's hoping he gets well soon of course, and maybe reschedules for down the line, if that's something he wishes to do.

I don’t think there would ever be a rescheduling - I strongly believe Mr Williams will be put off of travelling outside the US for life. Which is very saddening but understandable given his grand age 

3 minutes ago, tmarps said:

I don’t think there would ever be a rescheduling - I strongly believe Mr Williams will be put off of travelling outside the US for life. Which is very saddening but understandable given his grand age 

I just hope he's healthy and happy, and behind that, composing, and behind that, coming to entertain us in London IF he's able and willing!

6 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

Fyi, RAH is offering £15 voucher per ticket to those who are not canceling but are disappointed. You need to call them by phone.

Beer vouchers?

I read some of you wrote about that airplane long trip to Europe that was, after all,  for JW maybe an error, because of the stress and fatigue it represent.. and imagine for a man of 86 yo.

We had exacly the same concerns when Aznavour returned home from concerts in Japan. From France, it’s still many many hours of airplane, for a man that had difficulties to walk, at 94 yo. Aznavour returned in his residence in south of France, and not directly to his home with his family in Switerzland. He died alone in his bathroom, his buttler found him the last morning. After all, we all pointed out this Japan trip to have been the cause of that very sudden death... 

Now sorry I don’t want to be pessimist... but I really hope JW could go home in California and recover fast from the illness he has. It’s all that I wish. Really.

Have a great concert tonight, we´ll send positive energy to the maestro!

There will be 3 encores tonight! And a piece at the beginning not listed on the programme! Let’s speculate! ...

I have reason to believe the first piece performed tonight will be the Star Wars Main Title - which is quite thrilling!

I think you're right.

DqbSwDQXcAAdRLP.jpg:large

Zooming in it looks like Star Wars Suite Main Title at the top

Three encores are clearly marked - I think it's The Shark Theme from Jaws, another Star Wars, probably Leia's theme, and Raiders March to finish?

Since I had to cancel this concert and pull out of this trip from Liverpool (wife's dad is sick in hospital so I said I'd stay at home in case she needed me - although literally as soon as I got the refund he started getting better) - but yeah since I had to cancel I'm not sure why I'm still here reading all these updates. They're already killing me seeing what else is going to be played and imagining how great the atmosphere is going to be. 5,000 fans all together listening to the LSO while JW recovers not too far away. Arrghhhh these posts over the next 24 hours are going to rip my heart out I know it lol. 

yeah I've already set that up to record. And I know I'll enjoy it but... not the same as being in the RAH with so many like minded people listening to all those amazing musicians. I swear if Spielberg or Lucas turns up to do a little speech I'll throw things 😂

7 minutes ago, DarrenCarnall said:

yeah I've already set that up to record. And I know I'll enjoy it but... not the same as being in the RAH with so many like minded people listening to all those amazing musicians. I swear if Spielberg or Lucas turns up to do a little speech I'll throw things 😂

Giacchino's 50th at the RAH was insane! So many famous guests appeared on stage. Even one of the muppets did a song 😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, tannhauser said:

I think you're right.

DqbSwDQXcAAdRLP.jpg:large

Zooming in it looks like Star Wars Suite Main Title at the top

Three encores are clearly marked - I think it's The Shark Theme from Jaws, another Star Wars, probably Leia's theme, and Raiders March to finish?

The Shark Theme! Of course! Was trying to work out what it might’ve been. 

26 minutes ago, Delgibbons said:

Giacchino's 50th at the RAH was insane! So many famous guests appeared on stage. Even one of the muppets did a song 😂😂😂😂

Gonzo made me full on CRY at that concert! And I managed to get my Force Awakens print signed by JJ afterwards, and get one done by Adam Savage who I just adore.. so yeah that gig was fantastic for me! 

3 minutes ago, DarrenCarnall said:

Gonzo made me full on CRY at that concert! And I managed to get my Force Awakens print signed by JJ afterwards, and get one done by Adam Savage who I just adore.. so yeah that gig was fantastic for me! 

Brilliant wasn't it. James Newton Howard was excellent too. That pretty woman "he sleeps" cue always gets me. One of those ones I wish they would release already!