'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

1 hour ago, St0rMl0rD said:

If anyone has an extra printed program they'd wanna sell, I'm your man :)

Where do you live?

On 10/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, Stefancos said:

I'm still convinced Williams wasn't happy with the old version. As far as I know he's never conducted it himself. 

Well, it was an awkward and just not very good concert arrangement by his standards.

5 minutes ago, Ricard said:

I see your point!

New LPs are made using... digital technology... f***... what's the point???

4 minutes ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Is that a thing? ;)

He's strangely persnickety on this. I'm thinking his rationale is he doesn't want "parasites" to just join the board to ask for stuff, but as far as I'm concerned, you sat in with us on the stream, you're a part of us.

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Richard didn't have an avatar for years!

Who is Richard?

The one with the Rush avatar?

Did he ask for a bootleg while he was a "stranger"?

New users... they join here... and first 10 post, they ask for a bootleg.

Go away... mercy!

Listening to the stream again

is it possible they turned down the volume in the ESB part of Han Solo and the Princess at the end.. seems not as loud as it should be there. And the solo parts at the end seem louder than they should be.  Is there a guy mixing stuff live?

2 hours ago, hornist said:

Oh, I forgot to mention that I just loved Dracula, one of the highlights of this wonderful concert!! What is happening to me?? 😱

It is just the power of John Williams descending upon you brother. Soon you shall see the light!

Dear music lovers!

Could someone please sent me a private message with a link to a proper (processed?) recording of this wonderful event? I beg you...

Thank you!

...and here's why: Me and the woman in my life already were there to experience Maestro Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican in 1996. There even was an opportunity to briefly talk to him - it all seems like a dream now.

Cut to the present day and I stumble - by chance! I submitted a review of the concert mentioned above to this site, if I'm not mistaken, but have been visiting very rarely in the last couple of years - upon the announcement of Maestro Williams conducting the Vienna Philharmonic - in the Goldener Saal of Musikverein no less - right here on this site. I immediately wished for our daughter to have this once-in-a-lifetime experience and managed to get us into row 7 of the golden hall. Then it sold out right after that. Amazing - that happened after my birthday in June.

Cut to the day before yesterday:

I was completely devastated (after months of looking forward to this) upon realising the cancellation (no conductor to the rescue here in Austria, unfortunately!) of the concert. Now I'm much better because I read about the hopefully rather harmless illness that befell Maestro Williams upon arrival in London and since I promised our daughter that she could at least listen to this excellent performance at the Royal Albert Hall, where I experienced Elmer Bernstein celebrating his 80th birthday and even met John Landis in front of the still deserted Hall's side entrance in the afternoon.

It has not been a good month, at least in my musical universe: At the beginning of this month one of the computer game chip music (yes, another of my passions respectively fields of interest) pioneers, maybe even the first one employed for real, at least here in Europe, Ben Daglish, died merely 10 (!) days before a concert appearance at age 52 (!) and now this...

...SO PLEASE, PLEASE DO GET WELL, MAESTRO WILLIAMS!

Ciao,

ML

READY.

I've been listening back to the Classic FM broadcast and was amused to hear presenter Catherine Bott praising celeste player Philip Moore for his performance of Hedwig's theme.  She must not have been watching the orchestra, otherwise she would have seen that it was the pianist Catherine Edwards who was playing the celeste during that piece.

Does anyone know who the bass clarinet player was?  I could not see him properly (the harp was in the way) but it was definitely not Katy Ayling as listed in the programme.  I wondered if it might have been one of the clarinet players from the LPO or the Philharmonia.

42 minutes ago, St0rMl0rD said:

He's already much better, travelling back to LA tomorrow or so.

Very, very good for him and we should be glad!

On the other hand, we will start leaving for

Vienna when he has been home

getting well for days. Boy,

this will be hard to

forget...

...that's life I guess.

40 minutes ago, Martinland said:

Very, very good for him and we should be glad!

On the other hand, we will start leaving for

Vienna when he has been home

getting well for days. Boy,

this will be hard to

forget...

...that's life I guess.

Same here, flying to Vienna for a day on Saturday morning...I'll go see the Musikverein on Saturday, will also pick up my ticket of the concert-that-was-not-meant-to-be :( Will post a pic here.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Listening to the stream again

is it possible they turned down the volume in the ESB part of Han Solo and the Princess at the end.. seems not as loud as it should be there. And the solo parts at the end seem louder than they should be.  Is there a guy mixing stuff live?

You basically summarised the problem with the entire Classic FM broadcast. I just don't understand why they couldn't turn that stupid fuction off for this event.

6 hours ago, hornist said:

Oh, I forgot to mention that I just loved Dracula, one of the highlights of this wonderful concert!! What is happening to me?? 😱

I think someone has hacked Pasi's account.

Moderator! Moderator!

Karol

I am bummed that I was only able to meet Pasi very, very briefly. There was a misplaced backpack I had to attend to immediately after we shook hands, and then I never saw him again!

On 10/26/2018 at 8:37 PM, leeallen01 said:

Confirmed that JW is listening in hospital, followed by an enormous round of applause makes me want to bloody cry!

Guess what I did in the RAH!

On 10/26/2018 at 8:43 PM, leeallen01 said:

Makes me pumped for next month when I'll be in the same building with the same orchestra for the A New Hope concert!

Oh yes!

On 10/26/2018 at 8:57 PM, Nick Parker said:

Dirk discussing the precursor to Star Wars Live to Projection shows.

What you didn't see on the audio stream: When Brosse said that Williams asked, "Are you free on Friday?", and he replied "Yes", he was vehemently shaking his head.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:27 AM, hagai2003 said:

738F0745-134F-4EC1-BDDA-DD20962970E4.jpeg

I'd been waiting for that gesture (holding up the score), he did the same when he filled in for Goldsmith in 2004.

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

In the case of Han and the Princess I think Tanglewood is the best one and probably closest to his intention. I can't imagine he'd  stretch it out 7 minutes like Brosse for an album recording

But an album recording and a live performance are two very different things, and conductors often treat them very differently as well.

I honestly didn't even know that was him at the end of the dinner table the whole time.

I guess I made a mistake sitting on the inside of the table. If I was on the outside, I could have gotten up and talked to everyone at the outer tables. But I was trapped on the inside. Another lesson learned.

4 hours ago, Martinland said:

Dear music lovers!

Could someone please sent me a private message with a link to a proper (processed?) recording of this wonderful event? I beg you...

Thank you!

...and here's why: Me and the woman in my life already were there to experience Maestro Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican in 1996. There even was an opportunity to briefly talk to him - it all seems like a dream now.

Cut to the present day and I stumble - by chance! I submitted a review of the concert mentioned above to this site, if I'm not mistaken, but have been visiting very rarely in the last couple of years - upon the announcement of Maestro Williams conducting the Vienna Philharmonic - in the Goldener Saal of Musikverein no less - right here on this site. I immediately wished for our daughter to have this once-in-a-lifetime experience and managed to get us into row 7 of the golden hall. Then it sold out right after that. Amazing - that happened after my birthday in June.

Cut to the day before yesterday:

I was completely devasted (after months of looking forward to this) upon realising the cancellation (no conductor to the rescue here in Austria, unfortunately!) of the concert. Now I'm much better because I read about the hopefully rather harmless illness that befell Maestro Williams upon arrival in London and since I promised our daughter that she could at least listen to this excellent performance at the Royal Albert Hall, where I experienced Elmer Bernstein celebrating his 80th birthday and even met John Landis in front of the still deserted Hall's side entrance in the afternoon.

It has not been a good month, at least in my musical universe: At the beginning of this month one of the computer game chip music (yes, another of my passions respectively fields of interest) pioneers, maybe even the first one employed for real, at least here in Europe, Ben Daglish, died merely 10 (!) days before a concert appearance at age 52 (!) and now this...

...SO PLEASE, PLEASE DO GET WELL, MAESTRO WILLIAMS!

Ciao,

ML

READY.

Why does this remind me Nigerian spam?

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Apparently the main anchor point of this whole endeavour were the Vienna concerts,

Williams must be so depressed he didn't get to defeat the classical elitists

To be honest with you, I did have a terrible feeling when it was announced Williams was sick. I just kept thinking how JG and JH went to the Royal Albert Hall not long before they passed. Stupid, I know.