'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

My complaint with the score, that I recall, is that it leans a bit too heavily into the whimsical woodwinds, which isn't really my taste.

It's Williams in "Based On Classic British Story" style, which your not overly fond of.

11 hours ago, spanosd said:

What makes you think Vienna was the main anchor point, since London was announced first? I think 3 weeks before Vienna?

Alleged inside information circulated around Hollywood in Vienna.

7 hours ago, jocores said:

I read in a spanish forum from a reliable source than it was an issue of trouble with blood circulation regarded to being seated for too many hours in the flight from the States.

Not what I heard. No idea if either source is reliable, of course.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Alleged inside information circulated around Hollywood in Vienna.

Most interesting - do you think whoever took the initiative (I have been wondering who that might have been originally since I read about the project in June) will try to make this unique event happen in the future regardless? (Assuming Maestro Williams' good health, of course)

On top of that: I just pondered writing to Musikverein and expressing the interest to keep this historic event in focus.

Any thoughts?

22 hours ago, St0rMl0rD said:

but perhaps we can meet for lunch or something :)

Great! What mode of communication should we use?

We will decide in the next two days what to do there.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

For some reason, after the concert finished I walked out with The BFG theme playing in my head.

I should probably give that score a listen soon.

"Hornist was right!" - "Probably hornist was one of them." 

Next the Book Thief

1 hour ago, hornist said:

btw I do not understand those crappy cellphone videos from that night. Or any other night. Why? In Williams' music the whole idea is in the sound, balance, the performance by the great musicians. Cannot be captured by these devices. 

Promised I'd link to my "crappy cellphone videos" for those who'd like another listen/vantage point 🙂 and here they are!

https://youtu.be/iaS2e-SeyAo

Again, if anyone has a good recording of this concert, please send me a link in PM. If not then I'll be forced to just rip it from the crappy ClassicFM online stream...! :D 

On 10/24/2018 at 7:59 PM, Quintus said:

Well said.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:59 PM, Quintus said:

Well said.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:17 AM, tmarps said:

I'm guilty of StubHub; your story and fear sounds similar to mine. My ticket is from there and although I have had many opportunities to use e-tickets from trusty JWFanners I've gone with my StubHub ticket which looks legitimate! Stalls J Row 6 Seat 42 by the way... If anyone is close to me (or legitimately has this seat..... :( ) give me a shout!! Looking forward to it

Those videos are for the unique occasion many of us had to hear JW music with the LSO. In my case, (almostr) a dream come true. The concert is still resonating in my heart and my memory, but time will wash it out . So, I did just 1 video, the Superman March, that actually is the reason how I discovered this name, John Williams, in 1989... It has been a way to impress forever in my mind that exact moment, just in case in the future I'll think it was a dream. Obviously, I kept the phone apart during the recording and listened carefully at the orchestra.

:)

PS. And not so bad, that video came out: good job, IpXsMax :)

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

A great report Thor! Sums up my sentiments about the evening perfectly.

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Ginette Decuyper, the first violinist who introduced Yoda's Theme, joined the LSO in 1994.

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

Ginette Decuyper, the first violinist who introduced Yoda's Theme, joined the LSO in 1994.

Yeah, I had a feeling she was far too young. Are there any musicians left from 1977?

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Are there any musicians left from 1977?

The longest serving LSO members on stage (going by the programme listing) were: Colin Renwick (1st violin) [Tne Empire Strikes Back (1980), Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)]; Jennifer Brown (cello), Noel Bradshaw (cello) and Patrick Laurence (double bass) [Return of the Jedi (1983)].

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I had a feeling she was far too young. Are there any musicians left from 1977?

Lennox MacKenzie retired last month and just missed it by a few years.

I recorded a terrific interview with Lenny (the alternative Lenny, as Leonard Bernstein referred to him when working together during the 1986 LSO Bernstein Festival and 1989 Candide recording) during my trip with the LSO to Cologne in 2010. They were there playing the premiere performance of European Filmharmonie's Spielberg & Williams concert package. It was a very emotional time for the orchestra as Maurice Murphy had just passed away days before.

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the info. So none from '77, then, but still someone left who performed on Empire and Return. That's pretty cool.

Although the LSO's longest serving musician Colin Renwick was listed in the programme, I am not sure if he was actually in the orchestra on the night.  I did not spot him during the concert and cannot see him in any of the photos.  I think he joined the LSO in 1978!

15 minutes ago, davefg said:

Can anyone confirm the rumors that Rachel Portman was in the RAH? I believe someone on FSM saw Thomas Newman. 

Thomas Newman was indeed there, even Classic FM pointed it out in their broadcast. No mention of Portman.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:52 PM, JWFanWales said:

Why cancel? 

Anyone know if JJ Abrams is in the UK or filming in the desert?    Spielberg in the UK?

Today I found out that Spielberg was actually very near by, attending a concert performed by his daughter in Paradiso, Amsterdam... A friend of mine even caught him on camera...😁 

AA9A7052-3963-4140-9E6A-85E1ACCB8103.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What?

His daughter performs under the name Buzzy Lee. Her show was on Saturday, so Spielberg would have been able to fly over on Friday...

B6321466-A5BA-4AE6-A3B1-4E9C7D6FC5E9.jpeg

Maybe he was there, but that's certainly not him in the picture.

And yes, Thomas Newman was at the Williams concert. Mike Matessino posted a picture of the two of them together. Rachel Portman, I don't know anything about.

Spielberg was in Amsterdam on the 27th, 100% sure. People spotted him in a hotel as well. 

And the tweet is from Erik Luyten, marketing and PR manager at Paradiso.

Does anyone have a recording of The Imperial March? The trombones are a lot quieter in the Classic FM Broadcast than I remember hearing in the hall. The trumpets are taking over a little too much in that broadcast. 

Seeing as it doesn't seem like anyone here actually made a recording that they're willing to share, I'm currently editing my own from the ClassicFM stream. It's missing the last song though (Raiders) unfortunately so if anyone has a recording of it please let me know 🙂