'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

So...does anyone want to "take a punt" on what might be played?

Gloria from Monsignor, featuring the Voice of Jupiter in all its glory and the massed voices of the London Symphony Chorus.  Plus the premiere of the suite from I Passed For White.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

So...does anyone want to "take a punt" on what might be played?

Star Wars Suite (hopefully with TFA), Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, ET, Close Encounters... just a few of his best-known works.

Williams is trolling us and he and Brian Tyler have secretly switched concerts. Tyler's the night before is actually Williams and at the Albert Hall is secretly a Tyler concert. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome to the stage... " 

*huge anticipation builds*

"Brian Tyler!" 

For the record, Brian Tyler is awesome. :P Looking forward to that concert as well. His pieces at the Krakow film music festival were great. And I will come prepared: Bringing ear-plugs. To quote him: "As you may know, I like loud"

Just now, Caliburn said:

For the record, Brian Tyler is awesome. :P Looking forward to that concert as well. His pieces at the Krakow film music festival were great. And I will come prepared: Bringing ear-plugs. To quote him: "As you may know, I like loud"

I'm going to Tyler's concert also. I went to his first concert there a couple years ago too. And I was in Krakow as well. I interviewed him too. Really fun guy to talk to. Huge Williams fan. Knows his stuff.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

But if you are in a team it's a bit of a letdown to hunt for single tickets and then be seated randomly across the hall - or even standing. Kind of defeats the purpose, and honestly, seeing Williams perform Star Wars is really not worth the hassle. Btw, i have now bought a ticket for Azkaban two nights prior, this might be a good excuse to ship yourself to London and then wait for a miracle ticket to turn up. Even if you don't get in you might join the crowd afterwards.

Beware though: these fucking 'metropolitan' pubs close at 11!

Pubs can... close?

Sucks for all those who were not able to get tickets, and apparently the queuing system was a bit confusing - but I have to say, the RAH has the best online ticketing system I've seen so far. I've bought tickets from big ticketing sites (The Rolling Stones), cinema chains (Star Wars midnight premieres) and the Wiener Konzerthaus (Hollywood in Vienna), all of which sold out rapidly, and the sites all broke down and certainly didn't show you your queue number - you just had to wait on a queuing page for an indeterminate amount of time and hope that it would still refresh and get you into the ticketing stage.

Also, when I bought my Star Wars tickets at the RAH, they immediately sent me to the queue for any website URL I tried to load, so it seems the queue is valid for the entire site. And since queuing started before 9:00 for this concert, I wonder if they have some kind of heavy load detection mechanism that switches the site to queue mode automatically. Annoying as it may be, the alternate would be a site that just doesn't respond reliably at all, and that's far more frustrating.

Tip for the future: Always queue with at least two different browsers. If you're worried that the page stopped updating, you can always risk refreshing it in one browser without losing your queue spot in the other one.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Pubs can... close?

When I was in Ireland, it was hard to get food after 9pm (or even earlier).

14 hours ago, CipZip said:

I am selling my 4 extra tickets with profit - and I am not shame about that. There are memebrs that I know really well from meetings in Boston. So if I would get know that any one of them do not have his/her ticket for the show - I would be ready to sell it to him/her for original price. But since there are a lot of member, who I do not know in person, it would be nonsense to sell them for original prices and few minutes later see them on Ebay anyway :(

That's very sad. What exactly was your intention in buying extra tickets? How much profit will you be making?

On ‎17‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 5:20 AM, JTWfan77 said:

That's very sad. What exactly was your intention in buying extra tickets? How much profit will you be making?

You might not believe it, but I wanted to buy only 2 tickets for the best places possible (best place = place where you can sit without your head turned to stage). I have opened my Firefox where I was logged for an hour on the page with event, where I have been waiting for "Ticket" button. When it showed up, it logged me out and I had to be in queue. I have also had opened Explorer - but since there was information on the web that Explorer is not supported, I just used it on "testing" purposes. Just to see how huge amount people will be there with me. So when I realised that I am actually logged out on Firefox an in the queue. Instead of waiting (my number was 1300) I looked on Explorer where I was also in queue, but my number was (700). I decided to try buy tickets through Explorer and if there will be problem I would still be able to buy tickets on Firefox. So I waited and when I had opportunity to buy tickets I just choose 4 tickets instead 2. I believed that I might change them for better places - that was priority for me. So I bought them and after that I was checking what seats they are exactly - I was very mad that I could not see them instantly on plan of hall. I was not quite happy that I had places quite in a back, but what could I do. I have seen comment of my friend who get ticket to Stalls and on very good place. And at this point I realised I am still in queue on Firefox. So I switched to my Firefox and waited ... logged in and voila - I was able to buy more tickets. Honestly I did not expected it. So I bought 2 tickets for me to stalls, paid them and then I found out that the place in stalls section are far as my places on balconee. So there it was - I just needed to decide which tickets I will keep and which ones will go to my friends or will be sold. I have tried to change tickets for better places, but nobody wanted to be far from the stage :-) S I have decided to sell them. The result = 3 of them are sold with profit and one ticket is reserved for my Boston friend for original price :) . As I said I do not feel shamed - the prices and values of those tickets are different. There were still 4000 people in queue, when information about selling out JW concert was published on the queue page. That is very high demand and I can truly expect that anyone who bought tickets from me yesterday, will be able sell them for the same prices to anyone else :)

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

When I was in Ireland, it was hard to get food after 9pm (or even earlier).

Where where did you go? Some random village in the west of Ireland or something? 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Where where did you go? Some random village in the west of Ireland or something? 

Some smaller villages along the west coast, but even in Dublin we could barely find any food after, IIRC, 10pm.

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Some smaller villages along the west coast, but even in Dublin we could barely find any food after, IIRC, 10pm.

Well it’s a cultural thing. We don’t eat late here as a nation traditionally. 1 pm is “dinner time”.

10pm seems awfully late to be eating to me. 

But I’d be surprised if you couldn’t find a dedicated resteraunt that didn’t serve food at 9pm anyway. 

We didn't usually want to eat that late, but we arrived in Dublin in the evening and when we had checked in and were ready to find some food, all we could find was a Burger King and some shoddy fast food pizza place that was about to close.

Just came on to share my excitement at having managed to bag a ticket for this (the queueing system worked fine for me – and yeah I too was working the "two browsers" method just to see how the queue numbers reacted). Also will be going to the Close Encounters screening in June, which should be pretty awesome.

I Like Omen II's suggestion for the programme – would be quite fun if the maestro came out and said "You all know Star Wars and Harry Potter and Raiders and all that toot off my heart, and frankly I'm bored to bits with those so tonight you're gonna hear [insert list of pieces from obscure films that we might appreciate but which the general public have never heard of ... and really old TV music]

7 hours ago, Scintillating_CA said:

Slightly off topic, but how do you think JW will get to the UK — private jet? 1st class on British Airways or something?

Wouldn't it be cool if the airline adapted the little maps on John Williams's flight (the ones on the screen that show you where the plane is flying over) to look like this?  Williams could write a new variation on the Flight to Cairo music for the experience, ending with an elaborately orchestrated Steineresque quote of Rule Britannia as the jet enters British airspace.

indy_map2.jpg

8 hours ago, Omen II said:

Wouldn't it be cool if the airline adapted the little maps on John Williams's flight (the ones on the screen that show you where the plane is flying over) to look like this?  Williams could write a new variation on the Flight to Cairo music for the experience, ending with an elaborately orchestrated Steineresque quote of Rule Britannia as the jet enters British airspace.

indy_map2.jpg

Maybe he'll be dropped directly onto the stage like the queen during the 2012 opening Olympic ceremony?

Karol