Jump to content
Mari

'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Recommended Posts

Just now, bollemanneke said:

Suddenly the 192kbps live stream quality doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore.

 

I even lost any motivation to listen through the whole thing - I'll estimate when Close Encounters, Dracula and the likes will be played and listen in to those. I won't even record it I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zoltan_902 said:

Not withstanding our collective and wholehearted wish for his well-being and speedy recovery, the concert was supposed to be about John Williams. People have paid to see him conduct and be entertain by his participation.

 

A John Williams concert conducted by someone else can be done anywhere at anytime. I'd blame no one for suddenly not wanted to attend at all. All respect to Dirk Brosse, but him replacing the Maestro effectively defeats the purpose of the concert. If I had a ticket, I'd personally rather take a rain check, expensive and inconvenient as it may be in the short term. 

this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crocodile said:

There's still a lot to look forward to people. I'm more concerned about his health, to be honest. 

 

Karol

Of course we're all worried about his health. But 5000 people are entitled to be angry about their plans being ruined by a last minute compromise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There's still a lot to look forward to people. I'm more concerned about his health, to be honest. 

 

Karol

 

Quaint and thoughtful, but for all those taking flights and juggling real life shit just to make it happen, there was bit more to be concerned about tbh.

 

Moreover, this is the second time I've endured major disappointment over this whole Albert Hall "appearance". Only yesterday we had the excitement of the program finally being unveiled. Well, it's been a rollercoaster ride not worth the admission fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It'll sound callous (I don't care) but I'm too annoyed to feel sympathy when it's literally costing us over £1,500 plus the logistics of childcare and organising awkward work arrangements just to see some randomer conduct Star Wars music. My wife's asked if I want to cancel and I'm considering it.

 

26 minutes ago, Alan said:

What horrible news and I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery :(

 

 

For what it's worth though, seeing anything at the Royal Albert Hall is a special experience and you'll still be hearing Williams performed by the LSO. I'm certain it will still be a great evening.

 

Wise words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There's still a lot to look forward to people. I'm more concerned about his health, to be honest. 

 

Karol

 

Yeah, I hope he’s ok and nothing too serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

 

Quaint, but for all those taking flights and juggling real life shit just to make it happen, there was bit more to be concerned about tbh.

 

Moreover, this is the second time I've endured major disappointment over this whole Albert Hall "appearance". Only yesterday we had the excitement of the program finally being unveiled. Well, it's been a rollercoaster ride not worth the admission fee.

Mate, I do understand your frustration. I'm sure you can at least get some of your money back. Fingers crossed.

 

I am looking forward to meeting a lot of people still. So there's great comfort in that.

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, they anounced that yesterday? He went to hospital before maybe, do we know when he arrived in London? It something enough serious to be hospitalized for three days or more and keeping him at full rest.

 

I already lost Aznavour at the beginning of the month, gimme a break...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should have come over earlier to Europe. No film assignments in 2006 - 2007, 2009 - 2010 or 2014. While I do wish him well, I really feel for those who were looking forward to this concert. So much time and money wasted for what could have been an amazing night. I’ll feel disappointed / angry if this happens next week to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, zoltan_902 said:

Not withstanding our collective and wholehearted wish for his well-being and speedy recovery, the concert was supposed to be about John Williams. People have paid to see him conduct and be entertain by his participation.

 

A John Williams concert conducted by someone else can be done anywhere at anytime. I'd blame no one for suddenly not wanted to attend at all. All respect to Dirk Brosse, but him replacing the Maestro effectively defeats the purpose of the concert. If I had a ticket, I'd personally rather take a rain check, expensive and inconvenient as it may be in the short term. 

 

This should also go without saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Mark said:

what does it say?

 

 

The concert hall speaks of a 'disease that suddenly occurred'. Williams is already in London and is hospitalized. It is unclear what exactly is going on with him. The concert will continue, but under the direction of a replacement. Williams is regarded as one of the greatest composers of the twentieth century. He provided the music with a huge list of iconic films, such as Indiana Jones, Jaws, Jurrasic Park, Home Alone, Schindler's List and the Harry Potter films and almost all of Steven Spielberg's work. The composer received the record number of fifty Oscar nominations; he won the statue five times. Earlier this year it was announced that the American would still take care of the music for the ninth Star Wars film.

Gtranslate ^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my god, I'm just watching The Simpsons. Guess what episode is coincidentally running...

 

Homer and Marge are attending a Star Wars concert and the conductor is not the maestro himself.

Homer: "John Williams must be rolling around in his grave!"

 

Now that's called unintentionally extreme black humor.:sarcasm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Mark said:

If I lived in London I'd keep the tickets

 

it's more for those who travelled half the world to see him conduct

People in London might not attend because hey have far less to lose in not attending. People traveling abroad will probably cancel because they have far more to lose IN attending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

What's the chances now there's likely to be great empty chunks of seating in the RAH on the night? I bet loads local to the area will cancel.

 

Well, based on the available tickets now, I guess we still have a nearly full house on Friday

Schermafbeelding 2018-10-24 om 12.30.50.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PetePan said:

 

Well, based on the available tickets now, I guess we still have a nearly full house on Friday

Schermafbeelding 2018-10-24 om 12.30.50.png

To early to tell. Based on the feedback on the RAH Twitter account there’s an large number of people canceling. I guess the news has still to filter out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, john_ub said:

Seems to be serious. The Vienna concerts have just been cancelled without replacement. 😞

 

https://www.vienna.at/konzerte-von-john-williams-mit-den-wiener-philharmonikern-ersatzlos-abgesagt/5972836

 oh no...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...