The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

9 hours ago, Thor said:

I have my ticket, and I have the plane tickets booked. But I've not yet booked accomodation, as there is a reasonable chance I can't go (due to some life-altering circumstances happening in September). But if I go, I want to meet up. I've realized I have no energy to host an event myself (I've usually done one that combines FSM, JWFAN, Maintitles etc.). So put me on maybe!

Gongrats for the life-altering circumstances!! but if you cannot make it, you know the best buddy to buy your ticket!😍

19 hours ago, Thor said:

I have my ticket, and I have the plane tickets booked. But I've not yet booked accomodation, as there is a reasonable chance I can't go (due to some life-altering circumstances happening in September).

Ditto (but August for me)!

19 hours ago, Richard said:

Can it be done?

I do not know how, but we could try at least. This is the greatest community of Williams fans. 

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

If we were to attempt such lunacy, who would be best contact? Any ideas? @Omen II?

Group tours can be booked via the Royal Albert Hall website here or alternatively individuals can simply book onto one of the scheduled tours.  The LSO will almost certainly rehearse in the hall on the day itself (Level 42 are performing the day before), but you would have to guess which time slot to request for the best chance of glimpsing John Williams.  I am completely guessing that they might also rehearse earlier in the week at LSO St. Luke's just up the road from the Barbican, but open rehearsals tend to be the preserve of the LSO friends and patrons.

I have done the grand tour at the Royal Albert Hall before, not entirely coincidentally on the afternoon when Jurassic Park Live in Concert was being performed in the evening.  The tour guide allowed the group into the circle and also into one of the grand tier boxes but with strict instructions to keep noise to a minimum and also not to take any photographs of the orchestra rehearsing.  Our group was able to watch Ludwig Wicki rehearse the orchestra for a few minutes and we were allowed to take photographs once the orchestra had gone for a break.

I think if anyone has visions of being able to sit in the arena six feet from John Williams and watch him rehearse the LSO for a couple of hours, they are probably going to be disappointed, but hey what do I know?  It's worth a try.  The tours are interesting anyway, so even if Williams was an initial no show like the dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park, it would not be time or money wasted.

Great. I'm there from wednesday till saturday (there will be a sizeable german posse) and would join at any date after wednesday night (when i will watch Potter II in the RAH).

Sadly, there is a major chance I won't be able to attend the concert in London... Hoping to get to Vienna, though. I'm still waiting to understand what will be of my future job in the next few months. The times they're a-changing.

That's the name of the theme park in Florida.  Are you talking about the tours of Leavesden Studios?  If so, that is sold out the entire week

On 7/31/2018 at 5:57 PM, Jay said:

That's the name of the theme park in Florida.  Are you talking about the tours of Leavesden Studios?  If so, that is sold out the entire week

Call me a rabble rouser but that is just not true:

https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/opening-times

At least that's the big HP tour you find online.

Oh, wow!  When I checked before, the entire week was sold out, nothing was available - but there was availability on weeks before and after.  They must have changed something since then!  Weird!

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Any tips from Londeners or Brits about public transport? What are the options for tube tickets if you're spending a few days in London?

Yup, I have the same question as well.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Any tips from Londeners or Brits about public transport? What are the options for tube tickets if you're spending a few days in London?

I strongly recommend buying a visitor Oyster card which will allow you to travel on Tubes, buses, trams, DLR and most National Rail services in the London area. It will pay for itself after just a few journeys.

I will post a useful link to the TfL website page when I get home (I am on the Tube now!).

As promised here is a useful link to the 'Visiting London' page of the Transport for London website:

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/

Although you can of course wait until you get to London to buy an Oyster card, I recommend buying a Visitor Oyster card in advance if you are overseas.  It will save you time and allow you to travel across London straight from the train or plane without having to queue up and faff about with Her Majesty the Queen's pound sterling when you are tired after a long day.  If you saw the queues of tourists at places like Victoria and St. Pancras in the mornings you would thank me!  You can use your Oyster card to travel into central London from London Heathrow (except on the Heathrow Express), London Gatwick and London City airports.

I travel an awful lot in and around London and the UK, so if anyone wants any tips or advice in this thread I will do my best to help.

I believe there's an option to pay for something like a whole week at once with the Oyster card, which is slightly cheaper than maxing it out every day for a whole week. It might sound like it pays off after just a prolonged weekend, but thanks to the Oyster's daily cap, you're off cheaper just using it regularly (at least in central London) unless you're really staying nearly a whole week. (I learned that the hard way two weeks ago when I found about the cap too late)

Pro tip: Don't keep your Oyster card next to your hotel key card (or presumably your bank cards) while touching it to the TFL checkpoints, or you might wipe your other cards.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I believe there's an option to pay for something like a whole week at once with the Oyster card, which is slightly cheaper than maxing it out every day for a whole week.

It is possible to buy weekly, monthly and annual travel cards loaded onto your Oyster card, but you would have to work out on a case by case basis if that was likely to save you money as opposed to using 'pay as you go' on your Oyster card.  You would have to consider which zones you are going to travel in, how many days you will be in London and how many journeys you think you will make.  At present daily fares are capped when using an Oyster card, but there is not currently weekly capping.  I used to always have a monthly travel card on my Oyster card for work until I worked out that it would cost me less just to use pay as you go on my Oyster.

An alternative to buying a Visitor Oyster card is to use a contactless card, as you then benefit from weekly as well as daily capping (and would therefore never pay more than the cost of the equivalent weekly travel card).  For visitors from overseas, I believe that all American Express contactless cards issued outside the UK can be used in lieu of an Oyster card, as can most MasterCard and Maestro cards, but it does depend on the country of issue.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Oyster cards have magnetic strips rather than chips?

Oyster cards have chips in them.  You touch them on the card readers rather than swipe them.