The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

On 10/29/2018 at 7:21 AM, Nick Parker said:

Any possibility of something like this happening  next year? I'm strongly considering making the trek to Boston, or wherever the big Williams to do would be.

I go to Boston every year and there's a restaurant that is a 2 minute walk from the front doors of Symhony Hall that has a side room we've reserved for meetups in the past.

On 10/26/2018 at 9:24 PM, Bespin said:

On the photo you can see three wowen.... who clearly are lost.

Who are they!!! :P

The blonde one with the glasses is my fiancée Ilaria! I am the one behind on her right (sporting my blue turtleneck, hehe). The guy at my right is Simone Pedroni.

My brother Gianmaria is the one besides the little kid (his son, i.e. my nephew! Already a big JW fan!) :)

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There was a get together in Vienna before the Horner concert. I don't remember how organised it, I think I helped a bit (just with suggesting a location and the like). Quite big, although the people there were from all over the place - not just physically, but also from various online places; I don't think there was an especially big core crowd from one single online forum like this time. First time I met Tim Burden and publicist, and Karol I think.

I remember that gathering 5 years ago. It was indeed quite large. In fact it might have been just as big. But then, it was a mixture of different groups --JWFan, FSM, MainTitles.

Karol

I organized the Vienna/Horner get-together. Also very big -- number up in the 20s, with two long tables in the restaurant basement. It was a mix of Maintitles, FSM and JWFAN (and others), so not a "pure" JWFAN gathering. I think that's the only thing that can compare, except maybe some Ghent get-togethers, but they've been more loosely organized (or not organized at all).

And we had a fairly big meet up in London a few days later (just before the Elfman concert). Must have been 12-15 people as well. I remember we had a few drinks after.

Karol

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Steef, probably perusing the programme (but not showing the appropriate excitement about the Potter blurb):

I bought myself a programme but didn't really have time to peruse it thoroughly during the intermission so I didn't register the whole Potter blurb until someone mentioned it over the after concert drinks.

24 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

All of us brought home our own personal memory of the experience and we'll keep it with ourselves for a long time. I just hope this will be the first of many to come. Yes, guys, we're looking good together! :)

Oooh....a John Williams reference tucked in at the end. Love it. :)

33 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

While I'm still imbibed by the experience, I want to share a few thoughts about this great opportunity of real life social gathering. It may sound obvious and perhaps sentimental, but I speak really from the heart:

We're living an era where most, if not all, social experiences are filtered through some technological tool, where we are constantly fed to "share" our own lives, but mostly remaining isolated into our own wallgardens that keep us feeling safe and comfortable. We perhaps accept the company only of one or two very close people, leaving most of the others behind our own experience.

In the end, the JWFan community was born thanks to technology and we're now approaching our 20th year here together. But we're here because of a shared enthusiasm and, dare I say, a sincere love for a man and his music, not because we're loners, or a strange kind of hikikomori. We feel close to each other because of something special and beautiful. So, succeeding in breaking the wall and then gather together in the same physical place to finally look and talk to each other is a resounding success. This might sound puzzling to people past a certain age because this was the normal thing to do until 15-20 years ago. But for our community I think it's a great stepping stone that, I hope, will encourage us to try to do this more often. Several of us already had met in real life in smaller groups and surely social media helped to get to know each other a tad better and perhaps more intimately, but still it's not the same as having an experience like we had last Friday. I only wish we could have had more time to properly talk with each other. Years of online interactions surely helped us to have a good hunch of personal attitudes and demeanors (as I wrote in a previous post, I was sincerely touched by @Romão's words when he said I was looking exactly how he imagined), but online life also prevents so many nuances and details of human behaviour, sometimes to the detriment of a more objective view on a person. I must say that meeting in real life, albeit briefly, surely gives me a much better (and funnier!) view of all of you.

All of us brought home our own personal memory of the experience and we'll keep it with ourselves for a long time. I just hope this will be the first of many to come.

Yes, guys, we're looking good together! :)

Beautifully put Maurizio. I wholeheartedly concur! :) 

11 hours ago, Incanus said:

I bought myself a programme but didn't really have time to peruse it thoroughly during the intermission so I didn't register the whole Potter blurb until someone mentioned it over the after concert drinks.

I still haven't read mine...

9 hours ago, TownerFan said:

While I'm still imbibed by the experience, I want to share a few thoughts about this great opportunity of real life social gathering. It may sound obvious and perhaps sentimental, but I speak really from the heart:

We're living an era where most, if not all, social experiences are filtered through some technological tool, where we are constantly fed to "share" our own lives, but mostly remaining isolated into our own wallgardens that keep us feeling safe and comfortable. We perhaps accept the company only of one or two very close people, leaving most of the others behind our own experience.

In the end, the JWFan community was born thanks to technology and we're now approaching our 20th year here together. But we're here because of a shared enthusiasm and, dare I say, a sincere love for a man and his music, not because we're loners, or a strange kind of hikikomori. We feel close to each other because of something special and beautiful. So, succeeding in breaking the wall and then gather together in the same physical place to finally look and talk to each other is a resounding success. This might sound puzzling to people past a certain age because this was the normal thing to do until 15-20 years ago. But for our community I think it's a great stepping stone that, I hope, will encourage us to try to do this more often. Several of us already had met in real life in smaller groups and surely social media helped to get to know each other a tad better and perhaps more intimately, but still it's not the same as having an experience like we had last Friday. I only wish we could have had more time to properly talk with each other. Years of online interactions surely helped us to have a good hunch of personal attitudes and demeanors (as I wrote in a previous post, I was sincerely touched by @Romão's words when he said I was looking exactly how he imagined), but online life also prevents so many nuances and details of human behaviour, sometimes to the detriment of a more objective view on a person. I must say that meeting in real life, albeit briefly, surely gives me a much better (and funnier!) view of all of you.

All of us brought home our own personal memory of the experience and we'll keep it with ourselves for a long time. I just hope this will be the first of many to come.

Yes, guys, we're looking good together! :)

Reading this post makes me wish I could have found a way to afford to go to London! It would be a true thrill to meet you guys someday, especially those willing to make the trip stateside. Some people here mentioned Canada and Tanglewood...