The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

So anybody else going to see the Harry Potter studio tour in Leavesden?

https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/

I don't know if its possible to try to organize a group tour (10 people minimum) unless a bunch of you reply and commit to a time real soon?

The times Marcy and I can do are

Thursday Oct 25 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00

Friday Oct 26 @ 10:30, 11:00

I'll definitely join the big meeting before and/or after the concert, but I'll probably skip any earlier activities. Too much to do and not much time, I'm not even sure yet whether I'll fly in on Wednesday or Thursday evening.

On 8/20/2018 at 4:28 PM, Jay said:

So anybody else going to see the Harry Potter studio tour in Leavesden?

https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/

I don't know if its possible to try to organize a group tour (10 people minimum) unless a bunch of you reply and commit to a time real soon?

The times Marcy and I can do are

Thursday Oct 25 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00

Friday Oct 26 @ 10:30, 11:00

When do you need to know?

Available tours are dropping off fast - already, 10:00, 10:30, and 11:00 on that Thursday are no longer available!

I think I'm gonna book us for the 9:30 right now before its gone too.  Thursday works better for us than Friday I think.  We might want to explore that part of the country instead of heading right back into London after, and on Friday I'm sure we'll want to all get together in London before the concert somewhere, yes?

EDIT: We're booked for 9:30 on Thursday the 25th

I'm guessing you selected 1 adult before going to that screen?

Try selecting 2 adults and maybe the results are different.

Either that, or they added 10:00 and 11:00 availability since I ordered half an hour ago.

Even in your screenshot, the 10:30 is gone.

I chose 2, but anyway, you bought the tickets and 09:30 is for really early birds (you probably need an hour to get there). I would be much too lazy to get up and have coffee till 08:30.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 8:32 PM, Omen II said:

An alternative to buying a Visitor Oyster card is to use a contactless card, as you then benefit from weekly as well as daily capping (and would therefore never pay more than the cost of the equivalent weekly travel card).  

Do you literally mean a regular debit or credit card? So instead of pushing one's oyster card up against the scanner you simply scan one's bank card instead?

51 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Do you literally mean a regular debit or credit card? So instead of pushing one's oyster card up against the scanner you simply scan one's bank card instead?

Yes, as long as it has the contactless symbol on it the card should work and will just deduct the correct fare for your journey.

Oh that's cool. I'll just tap my debit card up against the scanner then and walk right through. So would you say that would be the most affordable way to pay based on a two day stay, Omen? Also, would we need to register beforehand or anything like that? Sorry for all the questions.

Btw Steef, how many days are you here for?

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Oh that's cool. I'll just tap my debit card up against the scanner then and walk right through. So would you say that would be the most affordable way to pay based on a two day stay, Omen? Also, would we need to register beforehand or anything like that? Sorry for all the questions.

You would not need to have registered the card (although it is useful to have an account at www.tfl.gov.uk as a convenient way of checking your journey history).  If it is a recently issued card, you might need to make a contactless chip and pin payment first to ensure that the card works.

I reckon that would be your best bet if you already have a contactless card.

56 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Btw Steef, how many days are you here for?

I think it is supposed to be cheaper than Oyster card. But check Transport for London page.

Karol

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

You would not need to have registered the card (although it is useful to have an account at www.tfl.gov.uk as a convenient way of checking your journey history).  If it is a recently issued card, you might need to make a contactless chip and pin payment first to ensure that the card works.

If reckon that would be your best bet if you already have a contactless card.

Okay well thanks once again for all the useful information. I think we'll be good to go with our existing regular bank cards.

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I think it is supposed to be cheaper than Oyster card. But check Transport for London page.

Karol

Kate is going to look into it further, cheers.

1 hour ago, Caliburn said:

Hoe does contactless work when you are reaching the maximum amount for that day?

Oyster keeps track of that.

You are charged the same amount whether you use an Oyster card or a contactless card to pay for your journey, while the same daily capping rates also apply to both.  If you register your contactless card you are able to check journey history on the website or app.

Contactless cards also have weekly capping (which Oyster cards do not have currently, although TfL is working on it).

5 hours ago, toothless said:

So, is there a timeframe for when the meetup would occur ?

Surprisingly few details for this with less than two months to go.

But sign me up for this, whenever and wherever it will be.

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

You are charged the same amount whether you use an Oyster card or a contactless card to pay for your journey, while the same daily capping rates also apply to both.  If you register your contactless card you are able to check journey history on the website or app.

Contactless cards also have weekly capping (which Oyster cards do not have currently, although TfL is working on it).

So I might be able to register my Austrian ATM card with my existing TfL account bound to my existing Oyster card?

(We should rename this "Omen II's TfL/Oyster Customer Support Thread")

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Omen II, do you know if you're allowed to wear shorts in the Royal Albert Hall?

Here:

For most events at the Royal Albert Hall, there is no dress code. If there is a specific dress code for an event, it will be specified on your ticket.

Karol