Williams talks The Last Jedi with Jim Svejda on Classical KUSC (tonight at 9pm PST)

TownerFan

That's awesome! I seem to remember the last one having a lot of great insights on his thought process, confirming and/or addressing things people were speculating about. I bet he'll open up on some aspects of the score that have been dividing JWFan.

For anyone who's too lazy to listen to the whole thing, I think its a good idea to summarize it: There isn't too much musical substance about the score, themes, etcetra to be found here, but the disucssion is an interesting one, nonetheless. Williams sounds great, and he's really funny in this! They mostly talk about this score as a point in John's career more than in and of itself; mention his number of award nominations, his work on the whole series and its impact on symphonic film scoring, etcetra. They talked a bit about Carrie Fisher, not in terms of writing music for her appearances, but more in terms of Williams' recollections of her, and his impression of her scenes in the film.

That kind of stuff.

51 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

that will be "quite enough" for him.

Oh, yes, that was an important thing he said.

But than, I never expected him to score films that are outside of the main stories, anyway.

Although he could continue writing an occasional theme for some of the spinoffs.

4 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I find it funny that the website redirects you to the itunes store forcing you to download the KUSC app to listen to the interview...

Thanks Maurizio for posting the direct link to the MP3 file ;)

Fun interview. Would've liked more discussion about TLJ itself (the score is scarcely discussed at all) but Williams sounds in good spirits. I take it that the mystery composer at the end was probably Desplat? Williams seemed to know.

I won't be able to listen to this for a little while.  What are you talking about in regards to a mystery composer?

I especially liked the part where he praises today's atmospheric non-thematic scores. I'd be even more interested to hear what such an infinitely superior composer really thinks about the scores being written today, though. For me, this atmospheric quality is exactly what makes them utterly useless.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I won't be able to listen to this for a little while.  What are you talking about in regards to a mystery composer?

One of the composers he interviewed earlier in the week (Desplat and Zimmer were two of them) said something nice about Williams - I can't recall exactly what it was. The interviewer just said something like "a composer I recently spoke to said...." Williams laughed and said "I think I know who said that." I think it was near the end of the interview if memory serves. Zimmer came to my mind for no particular reason really. 

3 hours ago, Ricard said:

I find it funny that the website redirects you to the itunes store forcing you to download the KUSC app to listen to the interview...

Thanks Maurizio for posting the direct link to the MP3 file ;)

I know others have experienced that, but for me, I was able to get what I wanted from the KUSC site without any App downloading. 

4 hours ago, pete said:

One of the composers he interviewed earlier in the week (Desplat and Zimmer were two of them) said something nice about Williams - I can't recall exactly what it was. The interviewer just said something like "a composer I recently spoke to said...." Williams laughed and said "I think I know who said that." I think it was near the end of the interview if memory serves. Zimmer came to my mind for no particular reason really. 

Yes, I would like to know who that was too. I've listened to the other interviews and the only composer I remember discussing Williams was Desplat, so perhaps it was him. But as you mention, it sounds like something Zimmer would say. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One question, are the KUSC interviews podcast available outside US? I could listen Williams interview using the direct link that is provided in this webpage but I'm not able to download any episode from iTunes.