John Williams: Maestro of the Movies 40th Anniversary (Hollywood Bowl, Aug 31-Sep 1 & 2, 2018)

TownerFan

29 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

live to picture concerts of Jaws, Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.

Those would be incredibly fun to watch at the bowl!

David Newman conducted JAWS when it premiered in Boston, he did great

Oh god, you're absolutely right; Lockhart conducted the JAWS premiere in Boston, it was Star Wars that I saw a few months later that had Newman conducting!  My bad!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Legendary filmmaker Steven Spielberg has been confirmed for the John Williams: Maestro of the Movies weekend at the Hollywood Bowl, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 31 through September 2. The weekend of movie music celebrates the 40th anniversary of Williams' Bowl debut with some of his biggest movie hits, including some selections performed with film clips. David Newman leads the Los Angeles Philharmonic in the first half of the program.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/los-angeles/article/Steven-Spielberg-Confirmed-As-A-Special-Guest-For-The-John-Williams-Maestro-Of-The-Movies-Weekend-At-The-Hollywood-Bowl-20180823

Does anyone know if there is a pre-existing composition by John Williams that is a birthday tribute to Leonard Bernstein? If not, there might be a new premier of a new concert work tonight.

8 minutes ago, karelm said:

Does anyone know if there is a pre-existing composition by John Williams that is a birthday tribute to Leonard Bernstein? If not, there might be a new premier of a new concert work tonight.

Yes, "To Lenny! To Lenny!" later retitled "For New York" recorded for the 2002 An American Journey album and only just recently performed at Tanglewood for Film Night a few weeks ago.

I assume that's what will be played tonight at least.  What does the program call the piece?

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, "To Lenny! To Lenny!" later retitled "For New York" recorded for the 2002 An American Journey album and only just recently performed at Tanglewood for Film Night a few weeks ago.

I assume that's what will be played tonight at least.  What does the program call the piece?

Ahh, ok - yes that is it.

Looking very sprightly there, Mr. Williams! Bravo. Here's to the 50th Anniversary celebration in ten years time! :)🥂

A musical observation though: what's with the revised ending of The Rebellion is Reborn? It's really jarring and sounds awkward for the orchestra to perform, compared to the OST version?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

musical observation though: what's with the revised ending of The Rebellion is Reborn? It's really jarring and sounds awkward for the orchestra to perform, compared to the OST version?

I won't be able to listen to it for a while, how is it different from the album version? 

The original version crescendos to a build-up of repeating 3 fast - 3 slow triplets before holding for a drumroll climax. The new version abrubtly interrupts that pattern of fast/slow triplets and jumps to 6 moderately held notes (with a gap after the first 3), overlapping more of the drumroll, before the piece ends.

It's really jarring; I assumed it was a performance error the first time I heard him conduct it this way except he's performed it thus ever since, so it's clearly his intended ending.

Oh yeah, that just sounds wrong.

How infantile do you have to be for the waving of a huge glowstick (not even to the rythm, just because) to add to your concert experience or be fun?

Very nice videos here thank you :)

I've been watching these videos of williams conducting for some years now, always thinking I would never ever have the chance to attend one of these concerts. But now I'll be there in London very soon and I just can't wait.

14 hours ago, BuzzLightyear said:

Wow - "The Circus Train Chase" - That must be great fun 😊

I need this concert performance on cd ! I wish it gets a studio recording in some compilation. I don't who cares who conducts it!

21 hours ago, Amer said:

I need this concert performance on cd ! I wish it gets a studio recording in some compilation. I don't who cares who conducts it!

Isn't it just the film cue? Its conducted to picture.

The version of Indy's Very First Adventure in concerts has some little differences if I remember correctly plus the ending is different than the film counterpart, modified for the concert setting to end with a proper flourish.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

The version of Indy's Very First Adventure in concerts has some little differences if I remember correctly plus the ending is different than the film counterpart, modified for the concert setting to end with a proper flourish.

Is this version online somewhere? 

john-williams.jpg

Variety review of Sunday's performance, by Jon Burlingame (excerpt):

“I can direct bicycles to fly, but music truly makes them airborne,” Steven Spielberg told the 17,000-plus in attendance at the Hollywood Bowl on Sunday night. The revered director was on hand to applaud composer John Williams on his 40th anniversary of conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the last of three Labor Day concerts to take place at the venerable venue. 

Introducing Williams as maestro to the entire 15-minute finale of “E.T., the Extra-Terrestrial” live to picture, Spielberg noted: “John’s music directs all the traffic of our emotions. So when a staggering performance fills our eyes with tears, the appropriate score can make them fall. That’s what fills us with wonder… and that’s where E.T. got his soul.”

Williams also addressed the audience briefly, telling the story of his first experience playing piano at the Bowl in 1958-59 (“Sixty years ago, I was 12 years old,” cracked the 86-year-old to laughter from the crowd) and how one-time Philharmonic executive director Ernest Fleischmann talked him into conducting at the Bowl in 1978. Said Williams: “This was enough of a scary invitation, and a flattering one, that I accepted, to my lasting joy and pleasure.”

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/john-williams-40th-anniversary-hollywood-bowl-concert-1202925432/

On 9/2/2018 at 3:49 AM, Disco Stu said:

Boy I wish someone would upload the video of Tintin live to picture

On 9/2/2018 at 4:26 AM, Nick Parker said:

It might be that one montage video of swashbuckling.

Yeah it was the swashbuckling montage: