"Theme from Schindler's List" at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics (w/ video)

phbart

Is anybody watching the women's ice skating? There it was, again, Theme from Schindler's List... by a german athlete this time. But unfortunately her presentation wasn't as good as the one from another athlete in 2014 Olympics in Sochi. I filmed with my phone, but I can upload it later.

Edit: One last time, here it is. To hell with Youtube, long life to Dailymotion. :)

Personally I don't think this is the most tasteful choice for an ice skating routine, especially considering just how many pieces there are to chose from that would arguably be just as effective. 

I don't think it's a big deal at all. Like you said, it's a beatiful theme. And regardless of what the theme represents, it's perfectly suitable for artistic adaptations, including sports. That's the power of such a well written score like this one. It represents a horrible period of our history, but it still has its own strenght to move away from what it represents and be "converted" to something beatiful.

By that same reasoning, a beautiful theme should have never been written in connection to the Holocaust at all.  But of course, the music is not about the death and evil of the holocaust, but the goodness of some people even in such horrific circumstances, and if anything should be danced to, it is that. 

I agree with Tom.  The aching beauty of the theme reflects the rebirth and redemption that is forged despite the horrors and evils of humanity.

Here's a link to Yulia Lipnitskaya's interpretation of Williams's piece from 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke0iusvydl8

Some people are overthinking it. It's a beautiful musical piece, and people love it. That's all. John Williams himself said he's proud and honoured to be associated with the Olympics in so many ways.... 

28 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Here's a link to Yulia Lipnitskaya's interpretation of Williams's piece from 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke0iusvydl8

Love it! I usually don't watch this sport, but this one's a perfect performance. The music helps a lot too. :)

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How disrespectful!

There were some complaints four years ago to this effect.

Yet, reception to her choice and performance has been mostly positive.  Lipnitskaya, who I believe is of partly Jewish heritage, even performed a balletic version at an event organized by a Russian Jewish organization.

Also, Spielberg, who was moved by her skate at the Olympics, wrote a letter to her commending her and indicating an intention for him and his family to meet her.

22 minutes ago, King Mark said:

what happened to that skater anyways she's not back?

The pressure of expectations got to her.  That and, apparently, anorexia, for which she was treated.  She retired from competition a few months ago, only 19.

Quite sad, but she is doing quite well now as a skating commentator and is getting into coaching.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

There were some complaints four years ago to this effect.

Yet, reception to her choice and performance has been mostly positive.  Lipnitskaya, who I believe is of partly Jewish heritage, even performed a balletic version at an event organized by a Russian Jewish organization.

Also, Spielberg, who was moved by her skate at the Olympics, wrote a letter to her commending her and indicating an intention for him and his family to meet her.

She wasn't German!

Wasn't Oscar Schindler a German?

My only complaint is it's just not something I can dance to.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Ice DANCING or skating, is a winter sport, played at the Olympics and at many competitive events worldwide.

Ice Dancing is a separate event from figure skating.  No jumps or other more complex elements.  Skating is, at its best, rather like ballet on ice. 

On 01/03/2018 at 11:16 PM, Steve McQueen said:

Ice Dancing is a separate event from figure skating.  No jumps or other more complex elements.  Skating is, at its best, rather like ballet on ice. 

Yeah, the dance is more like literal dancing and the skating covers the flips and spins and stuff. 

23 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Incorrect! The best form of skating do not involve mincing your way on the ice.

On 01/03/2018 at 9:51 PM, pete said:

Wasn't Oscar Schindler a German?

My only complaint is it's just not something I can dance to.

You mean like they danced at the Academy Awards of 1994 to the music of Schindler's List?