NEW Score podcast. David W Collins is back!

leeallen01

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I was hoping he'd jump straight to Last Jedi since it's the SW score he hasn't talked about at all.  But you have to remember the show is meant to include a wider audience than existing film score fans.  Like, it's meant to be educational.

I hope he doesn’t do any more than 2 episodes per film and doesn’t do them all together.

On 28/2/2018 at 9:24 PM, Erik Woods said:

It was interesting... however, the commercials suck! And how many times did David say Ummm... Ahhhhhh... You know... Riiiiiiight? Look, we all do that... but that's why we EDIT shows as well.

I know there are some who like off the cuff shows but I think this one needs a bit more polish, tighter editing, and a script. But what do I know... this show was already more popular than mine the moment David announced it last week so who am I to judge? I'm looking forward to future episodes... but man those ads during the show have to disappear.

BTW, I think Art of the Score, UnderScore and Sideshow Sound Radio are far superior programs and should be listened to by everyone here before spinning David's program.

Anyway, it's great to hear another film music related podcast.  

-Erik-

I agree with you about the ads. They’re so so bad and there’s so many of them in a 45 minute program. That’s How Stuff Works’ fault and not Collins... but still. Thank god for the “skip ahead 15 seconds” button on my Apple Watch!

I’ve been giving your podcast a go and the interview with MM is fascinating. I’ll be listening to a few more episodes!

Just felt like pointing that out. 

Anyway, yeah, I know what you mean. George is worthy of having his biography told but is a score podcast the place to do it?

Also, is there a need to go back to Star Wars when he’s already covered it on Oxygen? Surely there are other scores he could cover first.

22 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Just felt like pointing that out. 

Anyway, yeah, I know what you mean. George is worthy of having his biography told but is a score podcast the place to do it?

It's not just a score podcast though, hence the whole episode on sound mixing etc.

Just now, Fal said:

It's not just a score podcast though, hence the whole episode on sound mixing etc.

It relates to anything to do with the soundtrack. 

What has a biography of George Lucas got to do with that?

Background on why Lucas made SW the way it is?

It's pretty safe to say that the format going forward is basically:

First Episode: Overview/Biography

Second Episode: Analysis Part 1 (Themes?)

Third Episode Analysis Part 2

34 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Also, is there a need to go back to Star Wars when he’s already covered it on Oxygen? Surely there are other scores he could cover first.

Two Words: Jimmy Mac

I mean, I get it.  It doesn’t make it any more interesting for us who’ve already seen all the documentaries on Lucas and the making of the original movie

First World Problems, atleast this show turn out episodes quickly, it should'nt take but a few wednesday's to get to something different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally we're past the commentary episodes (which... are just not for me).

Really looking forward to listening to this one on Steiner.

Max Steiner: From King Kong to Casablanca:

https://www.soundtrackpodcast.com/podcasts/max-steiner-from-king-kong-to-casablanca.htm

Not to step on Fal's toes as the official updater of this thread!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Finally we're past the commentary episodes (which... are just not for me).

I have to say I disagree, I think they are a great opportunity to discuss things that couldn't really be touched on in the "normal" episodes, for example pointing out how the film is spotted, what cues are dropped etc. Though I do wish he would have pointed out more of the cases of tracking/unused cues instead of talking about the sound effects etc. (though I got some good info on making sound effects sound like they are in the distance with EQ, and what Dolby, DTS, and THX REALLY are.)

I could have also done without comparing the film to the book.

3 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Though I do wish he would have pointed out more of the cases of tracking/unused cues instead of talking about the sound effects etc. 

Yeah you can definitely tell his background is in sound departments in the commentaries.

I have actually watched both films with his commentary and it’s certainly not bad. Better than a lot of official commentaries that’s for sure!  I just can’t help thinking of them as filler episodes of the podcast.  I wish they were bonuses.  But I guess of this is how he can keep up the weekly release pace, then so be it.

BTW, the Steiner episode was FAN-tastic

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I just can’t help thinking of them as filler episodes of the podcast.  I wish they were bonuses.

Yeah the SW commentaries were handled that way more, where he released the first part on the usual wednesday, then the other part on a Tuesday, and moved on to a regular episode (the Lopez interview) the day after, I was hoping that would be repeated with JP, but I guess something either got in the way, or they have become part of the regular show due to fan response...

I don’t want to sound too negative about them.  I like this podcast a lot, including the commentaries!  They just aren’t episodes I get excited about when my phone notification pops up with the new episode title

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 7:25 AM, HuberSepp said:

UnderScore was a superior program :(

They released their last podcast only a month ago. Give them some time! I'd rather have another high-quality set of shows later, than some rushed ones sooner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...