No Title 1M02A
No Title 3M20INS2
No Title 3M22REV
No Title 4M32INS
No Title 4M32REV2
No Title 5M46INS
No Title 7M67AINS
No Title 9M85INS

There's an unused insert in Battle of Crait (that was tracked into Escape of all places). Could be the last insert?

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

So what does Old Friends represent? The cue with Luke in the Falcon? The cue where Rey and Poe meet? The track title for the OST album?

It's more likely to be the same as the FYC track as those seem have retained more of their original titles than the OST. Also, we already have titles that seem to match what's in the OST track; "Luke in the Falcon" & "Watch the Language" At-least that's how I see it.

All of the titles in the new BMI listing contain "Film Cue" at the end and listings for the soundtrack versions all have "soundtrack" at the end, so it should now be very easy to distinguish between original and OST titles.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

So what does Old Friends represent?

Its the bit that scores the framework story with old Bilbo and young Bilbo's encounter with Gandalf. Oh, wait, wrong franchise! Oh well, the original Star Wars ripped that off anyway! :lol:;)

1 hour ago, CGCJ said:

All of the titles in the new BMI listing contain "Film Cue" at the end and listings for the soundtrack versions all have "soundtrack" at the end, so it should now be very easy to distinguish between original and OST titles.

That's handy. Would be nice if someone could compile a new list with film cues only.

I'm off to bed!

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

Would be nice if someone could compile a new list with film cues only.

I've collected all of the "Film Cue" titles in the first post. There shouldn't be any OST titles there. If you need to confirm any of them, the BMI # is 26464875.

Just been looking at some of the Last Jedi entries on various repertoires and have found one for Lesson One (Learning the Force) that credits Bill Ross as "Performing artist". Anyone know who this is and what they could have contributed to the cue?

William (Bill) Ross was an additional conductor/orchestrator for TFA and TLJ. He was credited on the TLJ album. That probably means that he conducted that cue.

He is also best known around here as the co-composer for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

• 4 weeks later...

The entry in the SABAM repertoire has been updated with timings! These are probably for their use in the film, so may not reflect their length as recorded.

The main listing containing the bulk of the score has a duration of 140:31. There's 90 cues listed but only 86 timings so there's no accurate way to know which cues they're for. (Pairing them with the listed cue titles misses off the last few although Thought Connection does match the timing of the individual entry, likely coincidentally)

Spoiler

1:36

0:27

1:44

2:05

0:48

2:09

0:28

2:04

0:47

3:45

2:08

2:15

0:38

1:44

0:42

0:40

1:48

2:42

2:00

0:50

2:37

1:15

1:11

0:06

3:04

0:36

0:14

1:02

1:42

1:23

0:53

0:08

2:27

0:05

0:08

0:10

0:47

0:16

2:04

1:29

0:13

1:58

1:12

0:48

2:19

0:46

1:49

1:26

0:20

1:10

0:45

0:22

1:00

1:14

0:39

1:39

1:45

1:17

1:52

0:05

2:03

1:46

2:09

0:33

3:06

0:17

0:27

1:07

1:48

1:45

0:40

0:37

0:55

0:21

0:53

0:34

0:57

2:38

1:58

0:13

0:37

These are listed in separate entries:

Revisiting Snoke (03:38)

We Need a New Base (01:48)

Thought Connection (00:53)

The Fathiers (00:57)

Snoke (02:45)

Chrome Dome (00:12)

Old Friends (01:24)

End Credit Pt. 2 (01:11)

End Credit Pt. 3 Rev (00:23)

End Credit Pt. 4 (01:03)

Rose's Turn (02:09)

Apologies in advance if this has been answered somewhere but there's just too many threads to go through to check. Has anybody put together a spreadsheet combining all the info in this thread with the available cues from the OST, the FYC and the ISO?

11 hours ago, CGCJ said:

The main listing containing the bulk of the score has a duration of 140:31. There's 90 cues listed but only 86 timings so there's no accurate way to know which cues they're for. (Pairing them with the listed cue titles misses off the last few although Thought Connection does match the timing of the individual entry, likely coincidentally)

From memory that's almost exactly the length of the isolated score with gaps removed. So it seems those timings relate to music used in the final cut of the movie (and not the cue as recorded).

Good luck to whoever decides to line them up! Without the written score we don't know where cues start and end in many tracks, and several cues were cut up and used in multiple places throughout the movie (A New Alliance, Escape, Battle of Crait, etc.)

On 5/6/2018 at 2:25 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Apologies in advance if this has been answered somewhere but there's just too many threads to go through to check. Has anybody put together a spreadsheet combining all the info in this thread with the available cues from the OST, the FYC and the ISO?

It gets complicated when you take into consideration that, for any given cue, any three of those sources might have passages edited out from the whole. So if the OST track has portions ABC, the FYC might have AC, and the film could have ACD. These edits can be really small too. That might be more detail than most people are interested in though.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Anyone know if there was an FYC or extended edition track that included the cue Finn, Rose, and Hux because that march in the First Order hangar is sick.

If it's in the movie, it's in the isolated score. If it's a deleted scene, it's either tracked or can be ripped from the 5.1 channels ( @Fal did some of the ones I didn't, I think).

Small update! The SABAM repertoire has a few more entries for individual cues, which means we now have a few more timings:

No Title 1M02A (00:48)

The Fathiers (00:57)

Saying Goodbye to the Fathier (00:52)

The Emperor's Theme (00:07)

Snoke (02:45)

Luke and Leia (00:53)

• 3 months later...

So I figured out a couple of places where some tracks go.

Important Scene I think would be the last 46 seconds of the "We Need A New Base" if going off the timings from the isolated score.

"Holdo's Secret Plan" I'm sure would be the first 31 seconds before it goes into "Rose Appears".

"Eavesdropping" would be the first part of "Codebreaker...Thief".  Although I'm not sure the timing of the two but it makes sense.  Because DJ is eavesdropping when Rose and Finn are trying to figure out how to break out of the cell.

"Holdo's Resolve" I'm sure is the entire cue when she rams the last Resistance cruiser into Snoke's destroyer.  So judging off the timing from the isolated score the first 1:51 would be "Join Me" the the rest of the track would be "Holdo's Resolve".

"Resistant Forces" I believe is the cue between "Troops and Planes" and "Here They Come Again".  I thought that might have been "Mechanical Trouble" but I'm sure now "Mechanical Trouble" goes at the beginning when Poe's weapons go down before he takes out that last laser turret.

• 1 year later...
56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

How many official cue names of the previous two ST scores do we have?

Haven’t seen anyone comment on it yet, but @Falstaft (hiatus til TROS)’s guide recently added the original TLJ cue titles and numbers:

https://franklehman.com/starwars/

0M1 Tossing the Sabre

0M2 Thought Connection
0M2A The Cave Scene
0M3 Learning the Force
0M4 Rey + Luke
0M5 Fathiers
0M6 Fathiers Charge!
0M7 Crashing the Party
0M8 Saying Good Bye To The Fathier

1M2 Finn Wakes Up
1M2A Son of Starry Night

1M3 Welcome Poe and Hux

1M4 He's Insane
1M5 Resistance Force
1M6 We Can Do This

1M7 Fighter Down
1M8 We Lose Girl Ace

1M9 Revisiting Snoke

2M10 We Need Your Help
2M12 We Need A New Base

2M13 Prep for Battle
2M14 Leia Saved!
2M16 Luke's Breakfast

2M17 Old Books
2M18 Admiral Holdo
2M18 Holdo's Secret Plan
2M19 Rose Catches Finn
3M20 Luke in the Falcon
3M21 Rose Appears
3M22 Fun with Rose and Finn
3M25 Sun Shot
3M28 Rey Awakens
3M29 Lady Officer and Poe Conspire

4M30 The Connection
4M31 Worst People in the Universe

4M32 Rose's Fathiers
4M33 Rey's Training
4M36 Luke and Rey
4M37 Place in the World
4M38 Codebreaker...Thief
5M43 Saving Leia
5M44 Encounter Before the Dream
5M45 Mirror Scene
5M46 You're Not Alone
5M47 Young Ren Is Awakened

5M48 Yoda Appears
6M50 Not Enough
6M51 Traitor!
6M52 Eavesdropping/Mutiny

6M55 I'll Help You
6M56 Working Switches
6M57 Ladies Parting
7M60 Come Closer, Child

7M61 Poe Wakes Up
7M63 Big Fights
7M64 Finn, Rose and Hux

7M65 Fighting Together
7M66 Join Me
7M67 Holdo's Resolve
7M68 After the Big Explosion

7M69 Rose and Finn Escape

8M70 Hux and Ren
8M71 What 'cha Got?
8M73 Troops and Plans
8M74 Mechanical Trouble

8M75 Here They Come, Again

8M76 To The Target
8M77 Finn's Attempted Sacrifice

8M78 The Kiss
9M80 Luke & Leia Together

9M81 Rescuing Luke
9M82 Follow Him
9M85 Finale Part I
9M86 Finale Part II
9M87 Finale Pt. III
End Credits

Cool!

And it's certainly interesting that some cues, mostly about the Ahch-To scenes and the Fathiers chase, were tossed into a mysterious reel 0, despite being from different parts of the movie. JW decided to record their music by the end of the process?

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Cool!

And it's certainly interesting that some cues, mostly about the Ahch-To scenes and the Fathiers chase, were tossed into a mysterious reel 0, despite being from different parts of the movie. JW decided to record their music by the end of the process?

I think it also confirms that the Luke fishing/milking scene was shifted after scoring, like the deleted scenes suggested

The Fathiers chase was probably left at the end of the scoring process because of the unfinished effects, but I guess it should've been between 4M38 Codebreaker Thief and 5M43 Saving Leia.

The Ahch-To scenes involving Rey, Luke and Ben, as well as the deleted Crashing the Party sequence, were probably the ones that went through the heaviest editing before the final cut. 

It's also curious that we have a 1M02 and a 1M02A. The former, Finn Wakes Up, might indicate that, after the opening crawl, the movie would begin with Finn waking up (which he doesn't do until during the opening battle, if I remember correctly), until Rian or someone decided to begin with a starry night cut and the Star Destroyer omniosly approaching. But it should be interesting to listen to JW's music to this deleted scene.

And no 1M1 Main Titles, or something... Yeah, on the final movie the fanfare was tracked, but we saw through Rian's video that JW did recorded another version of it. Curious...

6 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Yep, also edited to add it to the post above: https://franklehman.com/starwars/

I'm skeptical to believe that those are the actual cue numbers, seeing as the Force Awakens list is based on the Live to Projection list and seemingly no source for the Last Jedi list is given, so it looks like they just made up numbers to go with known cue titles. (I hope to be proven wrong as it would be amazing to finally have a confirmed cue order)

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's also curious that we have a 1M02 and a 1M02A. The former, Finn Wakes Up, might indicate that, after the opening crawl, the movie would begin with Finn waking up (which he doesn't do until during the opening battle, if I remember correctly), until Rian or someone decided to begin with a starry night cut and the Star Destroyer omniosly approaching. But it should be interesting to listen to JW's music to this deleted scene.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yep, that’s exactly what happened, and the scene is included in the extras as “Alternate Opening”.

@Falstaft (hiatus til TROS)’s invaluable guide to the music of Star Wars (https://franklehman.com/starwars/) now includes cue titles and numbers for The Last Jedi:

0M1 Tossing the Sabre

0M2 Thought Connection
0M2A The Cave Scene
0M3 Learning the Force
0M4 Rey + Luke
0M5 Fathiers
0M6 Fathiers Charge!
0M7 Crashing the Party
0M8 Saying Good Bye To The Fathier

1M2 Finn Wakes Up
1M2A Son of Starry Night

1M3 Welcome Poe and Hux

1M4 He's Insane
1M5 Resistance Force
1M6 We Can Do This

1M7 Fighter Down
1M8 We Lose Girl Ace

1M9 Revisiting Snoke

2M10 We Need Your Help
2M12 We Need A New Base

2M13 Prep for Battle
2M14 Leia Saved!
2M16 Luke's Breakfast

2M17 Old Books
2M18 Admiral Holdo
2M18 Holdo's Secret Plan
2M19 Rose Catches Finn
3M20 Luke in the Falcon
3M21 Rose Appears
3M22 Fun with Rose and Finn
3M25 Sun Shot
3M28 Rey Awakens
3M29 Lady Officer and Poe Conspire

4M30 The Connection
4M31 Worst People in the Universe

4M32 Rose's Fathiers
4M33 Rey's Training
4M36 Luke and Rey
4M37 Place in the World
4M38 Codebreaker...Thief
5M43 Saving Leia
5M44 Encounter Before the Dream
5M45 Mirror Scene
5M46 You're Not Alone
5M47 Young Ren Is Awakened

5M48 Yoda Appears
6M50 Not Enough
6M51 Traitor!
6M52 Eavesdropping/Mutiny

6M55 I'll Help You
6M56 Working Switches
6M57 Ladies Parting
7M60 Come Closer, Child

7M61 Poe Wakes Up
7M63 Big Fights
7M64 Finn, Rose and Hux

7M65 Fighting Together
7M66 Join Me
7M67 Holdo's Resolve
7M68 After the Big Explosion

7M69 Rose and Finn Escape

8M70 Hux and Ren
8M71 What 'cha Got?
8M73 Troops and Plans
8M74 Mechanical Trouble

8M76 To The Target

8M78 The Kiss

9M81 Rescuing Luke
9M82 Follow Him
9M85 Finale Part I
9M86 Finale Part II
9M87 Finale Pt. III
End Credits

I wonder what the source for this was? This doesn't appear to cover alternates/revised cues or inserts.

We know of at least 4: Yoda insert, Peace and Purpose alternate, We Need Your Help alternate and He's Insane (insert?)

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I wonder what the source for this was? This doesn't appear to cover alternates/revised cues or inserts.

We know of at least 4: Yoda insert, Peace and Purpose alternate, We Need Your Help alternate and He's Insane (insert?)

There’s a footnote that reads: “**The TLJ cue list is exceptionally complicated, full of confusingly ordered cues, multiple revisions, embedded inserts, and unused cues. This list represents a a major simplification.”

So, this isn’t quite exhaustive. And there’s also “Rose’s Turn”, the working title for “The Rebellion is Reborn”.

34 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

There’s a footnote that reads: “**The TLJ cue list is exceptionally complicated, full of confusingly ordered cues, multiple revisions, embedded inserts, and unused cues. This list represents a a major simplification.”

Didn't see that, good to know!

@Falstaft (hiatus til TROS), any chance you could please post that 'raw' cue list for analysis here, with all those confusing revisions and inserts listed? I assume they have slates as well, to help place them (whereas previously we've only had cue titles from various databases).

That way we could assemble a comprehensive list of alternate material recorded for the score. TLJ certainly feels lighter on the revisions than JJ's two hatchet jobs, but maybe Ramiro was just had more time to refine his edits (without Johnson endlessly restructuring his film, unlike Abrams).

I do believe this cue list is not yet completed, even considering that it was "simplified", is not complete. One simple example:

12 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

8M73 Troops and Plans
8M74 Mechanical Trouble

8M76 To The Target

8M78 The Kiss

9M81 Rescuing Luke
9M82 Follow Him
9M85 Finale Part I
9M86 Finale Part II
9M87 Finale Pt. III
End Credits

8M73 to 77 are certainly the complete Battle of Crait, finishing with the Finn/Rose kiss on 8M78. Then of course 9M80 would be The Spark (I don't know why there is no cue 79, but anyway). But 9M81 and 9M82 things start to get more confusing.

For example, is 9M80 the complete The Spark, or just the Luke and Leia reunion scene? But, if it's the latter, why is that epic finale of The Spark called Rescuing Luke? Luke doesn't need rescue on this scene, he is rescuing the Resistance, lol.

And why is the next cue called Follow Him? I imagine this is the beginning of the Kylo and Luke confrontation, but I don't understand why it has this name, even for Williams' silly cue names.

Of course there is still missing 9M83 and 9M84, which I guess are for Rey rescuing the Resistance, Luke revealing his trick to Kylo and Luke's death on Ahch-To. Then, the three Finale parts would be:

9M85 - Kylo entering the Resistance Crait base (1:08 to 1:45 on OST 19 Peace and Purpose)

9M86 - Heroes aboard the Millenium Falcon (1:46 to end on OST 19 Peace and Purpose)

9M87 - Canto Bight boy (0:00 to 1:04 on OST 20 Finale)

What do you guys think?

Oh, thanks, just rewatched the whole scene on YouTube again, lol.

So, just trying to make sense of this pesky reel 9:

9M80 Luke & Leia Together = The Spark

(I imagine that music from when the First Order is firing at Luke was tracked from material recorded for Battle of Crait or something)

9M81 Rescuing Luke = Beginning of Kylo and Luke duel
9M82 Follow Him = Resistance on cave, Poe's escape plan, Rey on Falcon approaches the cave, that is blocked with rocks

9M83 = Kylo and Luke continues dueling, "and I won't be the last jedi", Rey lifts rocks, Kylo realizes Luke is not actually there (I imagine there's 9M83A, B, C, but anyway)

9M84 = Luke's death, Binary Sunset

9M85 Finale Part I = Kylo and First Order invade Resistance base
9M86 Finale Part II = Heroes aboard Millenium Falcon
9M87 Finale Pt. III = Canto Bight boy

32 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I imagine that music from when the First Order is firing at Luke was tracked from material recorded for Battle of Crait or something

The initial music was seemingly intended for this scene, but the ending is tracked with the ending of We Lose Girl Ace.

You can actually hear how the cue originally continued in one of the deleted scenes. It transitions into a fun trumpet fanfare followed by a variation on the Rebel Fanfare. 

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The initial music was seemingly intended for this scene, but the ending is tracked with the ending of We Lose Girl Ace.

Heh, I thought it was the other way 'round.

34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Oh, thanks, just rewatched the whole scene on YouTube again, lol.

So, just trying to make sense of this pesky reel 9:

9M82 Follow Him = Resistance on cave, Poe's escape plan, Rey on Falcon approaches the cave, that is blocked with rocks

Went through the formerly unknown list of unnamed inserts and matched them to the cue list, so we have a clearer idea of inserts and alternates. Some inserts we already knew about, with film versions differing from the OST. 

No Title 1M02A - Son of Starry Night, the revised opening cue after the Finn opener was deleted
No Title 3M20INS2 - second insert for Luke in the Falcon
No Title 3M22REV - alternate version of Fun with Rose and Finn (presumably the one used in the film, I think fragments of the original version are on the OST) 
No Title 4M32INS - an insert for Rose's Fathiers, unknown what it replaced
No Title 4M32REV2 - either an alternate or another version of the above insert for Rose's Fathiers
No Title 5M46INS - insert for You're Not Alone, the scene where Rey/Kylo talk after her cave vision
No Title 7M67AINS - Holdo's Resolve alternate ending, heard in film version
No Title 9M85INS - probably the Leia's Theme insert in the end credits, for the short tribute

Exactly, I just rewatched the climax, and the order is:

1. Luke arrives at base, talks to Leia and walks out to confront First Order
  2. First Order fires at Luke
  3. Kylo comes down and confronts Luke
  4. Poe's escape plan, Rey arrives with the Falcon
  5. End of Luke/Kylo duel

So I guess it makes sense for 9M82 covering the whole escaping sequence (Following Crystal Critters), with 9M83 resuming the duel.

I won't even try to figure out the opening battle, I think the pros can handle it (and even for them it'll be hard). But what do you guys think this Theme In means? What theme JW had (by request of Johnson, I think) to insert on We Can Do This?

Is it this small rendition of Luke's theme? Maybe Johnson was worried that JW's music for the opening battle was already too dark and dramatic, and he requested a small insert of something a little heroic and optimistic to light things up, so that Paige's death and the almost total annihilation of the Resistance's fleet later on would be have more impact?

Maybe this small comic interlude for BB-8? Or the heroic performance of Poe's theme that follows, for the reasons I've said on the previous paragraph?

Probably the Luke theme, since it is just the Star Wars Theme at this point, if it was Poe's I feel it would ave been called Poe in or something.

21 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Probably the Luke theme, since it is just the Star Wars Theme at this point, if it was Poe's I feel it would ave been called Poe in or something.

I think it is Poe's Theme that is Theme In because I think it is an alternative to too the March of the Resistance theme at 03.02 

I dunno, by the logic the Theme In seems to be Luke's Theme. However, listening to the complete version of Escape I just posted above, Poe's theme sounds a little like an insert or maybe something even tracked...

Poe's Theme in the film seems like an insert that replaced the cool Resistance theme variation on the OST, so probably that. 

Thanks @Falstaft (hiatus til TROS), this is incredibly helpful. Can't wait to start analysing! Also seems to confirm the fragment in Escape that sounds like Battle of Crait was indeed an unused insert for the latter sequence, as I speculated.

And OMG, 3 versions of the Rey lightsaber training cue! :lovethis:

I always thought that the chronological order of the OST was:

1. Main Title and Escape 
  2. Ahch-To Island 00.00-1.40
  3. Revisiting Snoke
  4. Ahch-To Island 1.41-end 
  5. The Supremacy 

But looking at the Cue Titels the correct order should be 

1. Main Title and Escape 
  2. Revisiting Snoke
  3. Ahch-To Island 00.00-2.14?
  4. The Supremacy 
  5. Ahch-To Island 2.15-end?

I don't know if this is correct but looking at my notes (that I did when the cue titles originally became known, only just recently updated to include the reel/part) it seems this is how it goes:

0M1 Tossing the Sabre 02a Arch-To Island [00:00-00:50]

0M1 Insert Rey Looks Back 02b Arch-To Island [00:50-01:43]

1M9 Revisiting Snoke 03 Revisiting Snoke

2M10 We Need Your Help 02c Ahch-To Island [01:43-02:28]

2M16 Luke's Breakfast 02d Ahch-To Island [02:28-End]

2M17 Old Books 10A Who Are You? [00:00-01:02]

2M12 We Need A New Base 04a The Supremacy [00:00-00:07]

2M13 Prep for Battle 04b The Supremacy [00:07-02:04]

2M14 Leia Saved! 04c The Supremacy [02:04-End]

Man, I'm still bothered by this 9M85 cue.

What happened first? Did JW recorded 9M85 Finale Part I as a whole, then recorded 3 inserts and one alternate to one of the inserts, and after that he decided to split the cue in 3 parts, A, B and C, recording them separately?

Or the cue was originally envisioned as a three part cue from the beginning? But, if that's the case, then on which of these parts would the aforementioned inserts go? 

Or do we actually have 9M85 AND 9M85A, so 9M85A is the following cue to 9M85, and not its first part? That would make sense, despite being weird, so 9M85 (and its inserts) = end of Luke and Kylo duel; 9M85A = Luke's death (Luke Looks the sunset as he dies/Rey Looks as in senses Luke dying). And actually, 9M85A Rey Looks is probably an alternate to 9M85A Luke Looks, right?

That said, is 9M85B an alternate to 9M85C? Both seem to cover Kylo walking into the Resistance base, and also Between Luke and the March (as in Imperial March) is synonymous with Island to March.

56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Or do we actually have 9M85 AND 9M85A, so 9M85A is the following cue to 9M85, and not its first part? That would make sense, despite being weird, so 9M85 (and its inserts) = end of Luke and Kylo duel; 9M85A = Luke's death (Luke Looks the sunset as he dies/Rey Looks as in senses Luke dying). And actually, 9M85A Rey Looks is probably an alternate to 9M85A Luke Looks, right?

Rian mentions in the audio commentary that the insert shot of Rey in that sequence was a late addition. The original cue (Luke Looks?) is featured in the TLJ music featurette. You can actually see the film on JW's monitor, which had a different sequence of shots than the final cut, and no reaction shot of Rey.

So 9M85A Rey Looks is probably his revised version of the cue, as heard in the film and OST.

The fact that both are labelled 9m85A is a headscratcher though... unless JW scored and recorded both versions at the same time, so Rian had both options?