A LIFE IN MUSIC - NEW 2018 London Symphony Orchestra album of John Williams material

Miguel Andrade

I hate to be that guy, but geez, that short snippet of Main Title is absolutely glorious. Reminds me of how Main Title is supposed to sound. What is it with the LSO and their ability to perfectly capture the energy of that cue?

I still don't know if it's the mix, the stage, the recording or the performance, but I just cannot love the TFA recording of the cue. It just feels terribly removed from the 4 LSO recordings, doubly disappointing as TLJ's new recording setup/mix rivals that of the latter two prequels!

I think the album art is part of the experience. For example, E.T. 35 certainly elevated the experience. But I’m old school, I realize I’m old school.

As for this CD vs the live performance - I think there’s a big difference between what you want to hear in a concert, as to what you want released globally on a CD.

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

Fuck the cover art.

One of the best "latter day" Queen albums, has quite simply, the worst, ugliest cover I've ever seen, but that does stop me listening to it.

Not Innuendo?

What a boring tracklist!

9 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Has the LSO recorded Hedwig's Theme before?

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The 10-track album features Hedwig’s Theme from Harry Potter, performed by the LSO for the very first time.

It's just too many of the big fanfares and highlights all in a row, for my taste. I liked the selection and sequencing on the Lockhart album, for instance, even though it ran longer than this one.

It'll be fun to listen through the whole thing once, in anticipation of the Williams/LSO concert, and to choose which tracks to buy.

53 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

That's the AOTC cover I picked! Lol

Has the LSO recorded Hedwig's Theme before?

I picked that one, as well.

The LSO has recorded HEDWIG'S THEME. They are all over the OST. Of course they weren't called the LSO, but we know different, don't we kids?! :thumbup:

48 minutes.  Even less, if they use the shortened version of Hymn to the Fallen.  (And granted, we don’t know the duration of the new Schindler’s List arrangement, but it probably isn’t too far off the original.)

BFBD8068-6C3E-4815-AD2D-2B5CAB569DE5.jpeg

Track listing according to iTunes:

1 Main Title (From "Star Wars") 6:08
2 Theme (From "Jurassic Park") 6:01
3 Hedwig's Theme (From "Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone") 5:08
4 The Raiders March (From "Raiders Of The Lost Ark") 5:40
5 Flying Theme (From "E.T") 4:05
6 Theme (From "Schindler's List") 4:05
7 The Flight To Neverland (From "Hook") 4:56
8 Hymn To the Fallen (From "Saving Private Ryan") 6:26
9 Shark Theme (From "Jaws") 3:12
10 Superman March (From "Superman") 4:40

Total time: 50:25

Everything seems to be on the longer side, especially The Raiders March....they must take Marion's theme in the middle at a really slow pace...

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

It must be just the famous Main Title/Credits combination with some segment(s) played a little slower.

That's correct, the concert arrangement. The Main Title is available as a preview on the various streaming services, and it sounds fabulous.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

Who the hell was the guy who couldn't spend 2 goddamn seconds looking up which ship was in Star Wars? What the hell even is that thing?

There's "looking up which ship," and there's "spending the money to include it on your cover."

I'm sure they were very willing to do the former, and very unwilling to do the latter.

The ship's a teaser for ep. IX.

1 hour ago, Matt S. said:

Everything seems to be on the longer side, especially The Raiders March....they must take Marion's theme in the middle at a really slow pace...

Gavin must have been low on energy after conducting the new Solo theme...

This is such a missed opportunity. We could have had The Force Awakens suite recorded by the LSO. And maybe even the new version of Han Solo and the Princess. :(

This looks like a must-have.

I'm especially surprised and delighted at the inclusion of "Hymn to the Fallen"!

LSO is arguably the best symphonic orchestra on the planet.

I'm honestly considering to cancel my pre-order. This is indeed a HUGE missed opportunity. Anyone reckon we'll get a volume 2 (the same life in different music) and they'd include this one with it?

We'll all listen to this album on Spotify, once... then pretend it never existed.

Don't buy that shit.

As a good JWfan, please learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's probably not shit - it's just not aimed at the very small community of JWFan. :P

Don't you forget we're in 2018, and nobody purchase CDs anymore except.... us. ;)

On 3/2/2018 at 12:58 PM, Holko said:

Who the hell was the guy who couldn't spend 2 goddamn seconds looking up which ship was in Star Wars? What the hell even is that thing?

A guy who didn't want to get sued by Disney. Smart man.

I listened to the main title and it doesn't stand out. We have many superior versions.

Me at 1:17 bfffwtffffffffffff :sarcasm:

Me at 1:47.... herrhgghhhhhh

at 2:18... bofff.f...

at 2:26  heuh?

OK, enough stop.

Gavin Greenaway... honnestly, who is this guy??? :huh:

I know how people can be excited... the LSO, the LSO, the LSO... ok there is the LSO in 1977, and there is the LSO in 2018, conducted by Mr. nobody Greenaway.

I PASS.

... Except if this CD could get a "recommended" review by www.arkivmusic.com or prestoclassical.co.uk (which I likely DOUBT), this album will never appear in my discography.

Well, period.

Do I look like a cash machine?

Seriously.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Gavin Greenaway... honnestly, who is this guy??? :huh:

Conductor for John Powell and other RC composers, he worked on: Gladiator, The Prince of Egypt etc. He is probably conducting the Han Solo Movie as well (so if John Williams's theme for the film is released as it's own track it will be conducted by him.)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Greenaway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Greenaway

https://www.discogs.com/artist/385932-Gavin-Greenaway?filter_anv=0&type=Credits&page=1