New podcast with yours truly: THE GOLDSMITH ODYSSEY

Yavar Moradi

@karelm @Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M. @El Jefe @Modest Expectations @Laserschwert @publicist @BrotherSound @Modest Expectations @Jay @Stefancos @Jurassic Shark -- we have a new regular episode (actually posted on December 30th, but I've been traveling so forgive me for the late update here). Jeff Bond returns as special guest host for our discussion of his favorite Goldsmith Thriller score, "Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook". Our great initial conversation about Goldsmith in this episode (before getting to Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook) makes this episode a particularly great jumping-off point for anyone curious to give our show a try for the first time:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2372264-episode-23-thriller-hay-fork-and-bill-hook-1961

I hope you all enjoy (if you don't know this score, you should -- it's superb), and let me know your thoughts after listening if you are so inclined. Also ICYMI, I highly recommend the conversation I had with Bruce Broughton as well:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2083614-odyssey-interviews-bruce-broughton

For anyone curious to experience "Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook" in context before listening to our episode (which does contain spoilers), here it is:

I recommend you try out the opening of that, at least, to get a flavor of the score. It's great stuff!

Yavar

6 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

@Yavar Moradi

Are you going to be discussing all of the Thriller episodes scored by Goldsmith?

We are going to be doing (and have been doing) more than that -- discussing *every last extant work* by Goldsmith that we can find. (The Thrillers are easy peasy, but YOU try finding episodes of now-obscure shows like Breaking Point and Ben Casey!)

I think we may try in the future to tackle two Goldsmith Thrillers in a single podcast (which means we wouldn't be able to be as thorough as we have been on the three we've done so far). So far we haven't tried this because we've had special guests (Leigh Phillips on our first one, Jeff Bond on this new one, and "The Cheaters" in between had W. David Lichty joining us as regular co-host and editor for the first time, so we didn't want to give him an outrageous amount of work on his first rodeo as editor).

But yeah, each Goldsmith Thriller score is deserving of thorough examination on our show, even though there are SIXTEEN of them to get through!

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

We are going to be doing (and have been doing) more than that -- discussing *every last extant work* by Goldsmith that we can find. (The Thrillers are easy peasy, but YOU try finding episodes of now-obscure shows like Breaking Point and Ben Casey!)

I think we may try in the future to tackle two Goldsmith Thrillers in a single podcast (which means we wouldn't be able to be as thorough as we have been on the three we've done so far). So far we haven't tried this because we've had special guests (Leigh Phillips on our first one, Jeff Bond on this new one, and "The Cheaters" in between had W. David Lichty joining us as regular co-host and editor for the first time, so we didn't want to give him an outrageous amount of work on his first rodeo as editor).

But yeah, each Goldsmith Thriller score is deserving of thorough examination on our show, even though there are SIXTEEN of them to get through!

Yavar

I was just asking, because I checked out the Shatner episode with the Painting.

1 hour ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

I was just asking, because I checked out the Shatner episode with the Painting.

Oh, I think that one's "The Grim Reaper"! Yes we will be covering it, and that one will almost certainly be getting its own dedicated podcast I think, because it's the other favorite of Leigh Phillips and he expressed interest in joining us as a guest on that one, as he did with "The Poisoner" this past year...
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/944720-episode-17-thriller-the-poisoner-1961

Yavar

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Thriller? I didn't know JG collaborated with Michael Jackson!

Hah! Actually it was his friend and close contemporary Elmer Bernstein who wrote the original orchestral score for that...in fact I talked about it briefly earlier this year with his son Peter Bernstein, who worked on his father's score as orchestrator:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1746388-odyssey-interviews-peter-bernstein

But of course the Thriller JG contributed 16 scores to (and his friend Morton Stevens contributed even *more* fine original scores to) is the hourlong anthology show hosted by Boris Karloff from the very early 60s, which given the often supernatural bent of its thrilling stories probably DID contribute the title to Michael Jackson's own famous Thriller!)

Yavar

Goldsmith never would have put together a concert suite of The Mummy, he *famously* even cut The Sand Volcano in half for a few half-hearted concert appearances, with the curious effect that the actual Mummy theme didn't appear once.

30 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What blew your mind? That Elmer Bernstein wrote the score to Michael Jackson's Thriller? That Jerry Goldsmith didn't?

Yavar

Oh, that was just an exaggeration. It was funny this morning. :)

21 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Hah! Actually it was his friend and close contemporary Elmer Bernstein who wrote the original orchestral score for that...in fact I talked about it briefly earlier this year with his son Peter Bernstein, who worked on his father's score as orchestrator:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1746388-odyssey-interviews-peter-bernstein

Not too bad an interview considering the fact that Peter Bernstein seems to barely have known Jerry Goldsmith.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Not too bad an interview considering the fact that Peter Bernstein seems to barely have known Jerry Goldsmith.

Thanks; I'm pretty upfront about it being more of a "Bernstein Odyssey Interview" at the beginning (and in all of my promoting of the interview). Of course when I approached Peter about interviewing him I'd hoped he might have more insight or stories to tell about his father's relationship with Jerry. Disappointing that he didn't have anything to share on that subject really... but we did get a funny little story about him and Jerry passing by each other while toting their big synthesizers... :) I have no regrets about conducting the interview despite it barely touching on Goldsmith, and I don't have any other more general podcast to release it under.

Yavar

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Thanks; I'm pretty upfront about it being more of a "Bernstein Odyssey Interview" at the beginning (and in all of my promoting of the interview). Of course when I approached Peter about interviewing him I'd hoped he might have more insight or stories to tell about his father's relationship with Jerry. Disappointing that he didn't have anything to share on that subject really... but we did get a funny little story about him and Jerry passing by each other while toting their big synthesizers... :) I have no regrets about conducting the interview despite it barely touching on Goldsmith, and I don't have any other more general podcast to release it under.

Yavar

The Bernstein Odyssey? :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 11:54 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

The Bernstein Odyssey? :)

I mean...SIGN ME UP, as a listener, should anyone want to tackle Bernstein's long, prolific, and varied output. In terms of Hollywood composers, IMO he's the only one who competes with Jerry when it comes to versatility, longevity, and how prolific he was. Which also means it's too big of a project for me to contemplate, considering I've already probably bitten off more than I can chew with The Goldsmith Odyssey. If I do a sequel podcast in 17 years or whenever when we finish this one, it'll probably be something a *little* less ambitious, like say The Poledouris Odyssey. Comparatively manageable compared with Goldsmith or Bernstein...

By the way, our next episode will be coming very soon (tomorrow night, in fact). Jens has returned for this special episode to launch us into 2020, as both co-host and editor (Clark is taking a brief break on hosting, and David taking a brief break from editing). Get ready for a special THROWBACK episode of The Goldsmith Odyssey!

74cb75bab2243992e98fab5156007185827084cf

Those who are on certain Goldsmith FB groups will know exactly what we are covering...

Yavar

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

When will you tackle Star Trek: TMP!

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Probably not *quite* that far off, but it'll be several years from now, for sure. The full project as currently scheduled should take a decade and a half. We aren't leaving any stone uncovered, when it comes to Jerry's output. And discussing these forgotten gems is some of the most fun!

Here's the Studio One episode we uncovered and will be releasing this "throwback" episode of the show about. It has an absolutely gorgeous Goldsmith score:

I recommend you give it a watch and appreciate the score in context if you don't want to be spoiled by our imminent episode. :)

Yavar

@karelm @Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M. @El Jefe @Modest Expectations @Laserschwert @publicist @BrotherSound @Modest Expectations @Jay @Stefancos @Jurassic Shark -- as promised we are starting off 2020 with a special "throwback" episode, where Clark takes a break and Jens joins us in his place, to discuss the beautiful score Jerry wrote in 1958 for "Tongues of Angels", a live filmed play in the Studio One series -- see above for the episode itself if you're inclined to watch it. Though it has been up on YouTube since before the podcast started, we only discovered recently in November that Jerry composed a score for it. Our discussion (actually recorded in December 2019) is here:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2486198-episode-24-tongues-of-angels-westinghouse-studio-one-1958

Yavar

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The first Odyssey Interview of 2020 is here, and I would like to offer special thanks to guest editor Wes Deckers, who last year offered to help us out should we ever have a scheduling crunch...and he really came through with some fine work, here!

Join me for the first half of my conversation with Iranian film music scholar Nasrollah Davoodi, who gave a Jerry Goldsmith lecture in Tehran early last year... we cover a host of fascinating subjects:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2873533-odyssey-interviews-nasrollah-davoodi-part-1

And there will be even more to look forward to in Part 2 later this month, which will contain an examination of Jerry's work venturing into the "middle eastern" sound, as well as a crash course (with samples) in original Iranian film music, focusing on the eight most important Iranian film composers of the 20th century.

Hope you enjoy the conversation and let me know what you think, @karelm @Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M. @El Jefe @Modest Expectations @Laserschwert @publicist @BrotherSound @Modest Expectations @Jay @Stefancos @Jurassic Shark!

Yavar

Looking forward to hearing this podcast.  You should invite Jerry's agent/friend/fan, Richard Kraft, to participate.  He has many unique experiences and stories to share. I never met Jerry, he taught at my school before my time, but I vividly recall meeting his son, the late composer Joel, and his daughter Carrie, plus his widow, Carol.  Very sweet people.  I actually conducted Emil Richards who was the percussionists on all Jerry's scores including Planet of the Apes which featured Emil's personal instruments from his travels around the world. I was so stupid, I didn't realize who he was while conducting him - too nervous to not screw up, but recall him...a very sweet man with incredible memories of Jerry's creative process.  Sadly we lost Emil last December and he was working till the end.  He actually worked on EVERY Planet of the Apes score from the original in 1968 to 2017's War for the Planet of the Apes by Giacchino. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 6:12 PM, karelm said:

Looking forward to hearing this podcast.  You should invite Jerry's agent/friend/fan, Richard Kraft, to participate.  He has many unique experiences and stories to share. I never met Jerry, he taught at my school before my time, but I vividly recall meeting his son, the late composer Joel, and his daughter Carrie, plus his widow, Carol.  Very sweet people.  I actually conducted Emil Richards who was the percussionists on all Jerry's scores including Planet of the Apes which featured Emil's personal instruments from his travels around the world. I was so stupid, I didn't realize who he was while conducting him - too nervous to not screw up, but recall him...a very sweet man with incredible memories of Jerry's creative process.  Sadly we lost Emil last December and he was working till the end.  He actually worked on EVERY Planet of the Apes score from the original in 1968 to 2017's War for the Planet of the Apes by Giacchino. 

Thanks for the suggestion! Indeed Richard has been on my list to interview for a long time. I'm not sure whether the present coronavirus crisis will make it more likely to happen or less, but I've met Richard and he's a great guy who I'd love to talk with on the record. Emil Richards... was actually supposed to be the first musician collaborator of Jerry's I interviewed. David Newman helped put me in touch with his people last year, but he was recovering from surgery at the time. I then got distracted with life and just as I was on the verge of following up and scheduling an interview with him, I found out he had passed away. You can imagine my heartbreak. :( It made me even more sensitive of the time limit aspect of my Odyssey Interviews project.

In fact, I'll be brutally honest about something: while we had been discussing the possibility of a conversation for some time, the reason this interview with Mr. Davoodi happened when it did was because it looked like the United States was on the verge of war with Iran, and I did not want to risk the possibility of something happening to my new friend before we were able to record a conversation for posterity. And now with the coronavirus ravaging Iran and now the United States, the subject of mortality has been if anything even more on my mind, as we went through the editing process with him even as he began suffering symptoms of the virus.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the kind message and for caring. I hope you enjoyed Part 1 of the conversation because I'm about to share Part 2!

EDIT: And here it is!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/3142192-odyssey-interviews-nasrollah-davoodi-part-2

Full disclosure: After the opening half hour about Jerry Goldsmith, the character of this installment is very different from the first half, and indeed different from any other Odyssey Interview so far. It is more of a full on film music radio show, with us largely opting to play full pieces for you all after Mr. Davoodi introduces them. I would call it a deep dive into Iranian art music...except it barely scratches the surface so despite the record length it's really more of a crash course. But it will give you a sense of the breadth of the nation's music – particularly film music – as eight preeminent composers who worked in film are introduced (nine if you count Andre Hossein, who was from Iran but primarily worked in France). If the only Persian film composer you knew was Ramin Djawadi, prepare to have your mind expanded! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the variety of beautiful sounds contained within, and you may discover some new composers to love in the process.

As my father emigrated from Iran, this episode is of particular personal importance to me. I hope everyone enjoys, and I very much look forward to hearing what people think.@Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M. @El Jefe @Modest Expectations @Laserschwert @publicist @BrotherSound @Modest Expectations @Jay @Stefancos @Jurassic Shark

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, karelm said:

Very interesting look into a rare side of Goldsmith I've not heard before.  What a legend!

you’re going to hear it again soon... just check out the sound sample of Track 9 on Intrada’s new Take Her, She’s Mine!

http://www.intrada.com/sound/TAKe_09.m3u

Yavar

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 4:50 PM, Fancyarcher said:

Awesome stuff. That Bulk interview sounds great. 

I'm curious about your thoughts after listening to it!

I realize how much I've neglected this thread, so I have some belated updates to share... first, we followed up our lengthy conversation with Neil S. Bulk with an even lengthier conversation with Chris Malone, our longest episode to date (we didn't split this one because there wasn't a good splitting point, but trust me, it flies by!)
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/4802774-odyssey-interviews-chris-malone

(This is Chris with Eric Tomlinson, who recorded many Goldsmith scores, including Tora! Tora! Tora!, Ransom, Take a Hard Ride, The Omen, High Velocity, Damien: Omen II, The Boys from Brazil, Alien, Caboblanco, Outland, Night Crossing, Supergirl...)

And in his Gold Nugget series, Jens had a conversation with Bryan Erdy, who among other things talks about the ballet set to Goldsmith's score to Capricorn One:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/4163672-gold-nugget-7-dropped-names-with-bryan-erdy

And finally, this past weekend we released the first in a new series called Soundtrack Spotlight. For this one (just half an hour!) I'm joined by Doug and Roger of Intrada to talk about their new release of The Don Is Dead, with generous sound samples:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/5097955-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-don-is-dead-1973

@karelm @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M. @El Jefe @Modest Expectations @Laserschwert @publicist @BrotherSound @Modest Expectations @Jay @Stefancos @Jurassic Shark @Disco Stu let me know what you think!

Yavar

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I'm curious about your thoughts after listening to it!

Really interesting, if a bit overlong, still it was great that Bulk was willing to talk with you that long. A lot of great stories relating to putting Goldsmith on CD, but I especially enjoyed the Star Trek Animated Series CD discussion. That sounds like it would have been a challenge, not just for the stock library aspect of it, but also because of how much it was repeated every episode. 

• 8 months later...

Wow I've really dropped the ball on updating this thread for the past...NINE MONTHS? :o 

So for those interested -- @karelm@Fancyarcher@Brundlefly@Display Name@TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Jay @Laserschwert @publicist @Stefancos 2 @Jurassic Shark @BrotherSound@El Jefe @Modest Expectations -- here's a big update about the episodes produced during that time!

First, the new Odyssey Soundtrack Spotlight series... that first one on The Don Is Dead was a big hit, as has been the series in general. We haven't been able to keep up with doing one for every new release (we skipped LLL's Goldsmith at 20th Vols. 1 & 2, and Varese's Looney Tunes: Back in Action expansion, though I very much still want to find time to do one for the latter) but we've still been able to do a lot:

Reminder of the first: 

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/5097955-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-don-is-dead-1973

For a total premiere to a substantial expansion:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/6119113-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-last-castle-2001

spotlight_the_last_castle.jpg

A rather minimal expansion (just clean beginnings and endings of cues) but a welcome revisit, and a fascinating conversation:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/6992374-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-inchon-1981

spotlight_inchon.jpg

Now a belated special episode covering the important total premiere of Jerry's first feature comedy, with a really cool "making of" historical approach featuring special guests Mike Mattesino, Chris Malone, and John Takis who all worked on the release... it's a longer Spotlight but perhaps the one of which I'm most proud:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/6920147-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-take-her-she-s-mine-1963

spotlight_take_her_shes_mine.jpg

Another surprise total premiere of a wonderful early score (Jerry's first film in color):

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8192306-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-face-of-a-fugitive-1959

spotlight_face_of_a_fugitive.jpg

Another substantial expansion (I'm not on this one but David and Clark took over and had a great chat with Bruce Botnick):
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8360054-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-along-came-a-spider-2001

spotlight_along_came_a_spider.jpg

And, just out a couple days ago, all four of the Odyssey team joined by special guest Jeff Bond for an examination of LLL's latest (at last, SPYS COMPLETE!)
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8553668-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-3-the-stripper-1963-and-s-p-y-s-1974

spotlight_goldsmith_at_20th_vol_3.jpg

The Spotlight series itself was inspired by two things: the popularity of our interviews with Neil S. Bulk and Chris Malone (shared above in other posts), as well as the surprisingly big popularity of our special Gold Nugget 6 episode, where the four of us (me, Clark, David, and Jens) basically discussed every Goldsmith release that had come out since the beginning of the podcast:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/3459226-gold-nugget-6-expanded-archival-collection

gold_nugget_6.jpg

Doing this new Spotlight series has alas translated into less time for interview episodes; in fact the only two Interviews released since they began were broken off of regular episodes which ran too long! So I'll be presenting those mixed in with regular eps...

First, the Thriller scores we have covered:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/5228800-episode-26-thriller-well-of-doom-1961

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/5667769-episode-27-thriller-late-date-1961

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/7589380-episode-29-thriller-yours-truly-jack-the-ripper-1961

thriller_art.jpg

And now the two-part recording with special guest, Emmy-winning composer Carlos Rafael Rivera (A Walk Among the Tombstones, Godless, and most recently The Queen's Gambit). We meant to just talk to him for half an hour and then move onto Jerry's sole original score for Rawhide, similar to what we did for Leigh Phillips's initial appearance on the show for Episode 17 (Thriller's "The Poisoner")... but he was just so easy to talk to, that just didn't work out. So you should first listen to this:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/6049561-odyssey-interviews-carlos-rafael-rivera

odyssey_interviews_carlos_rafael_rivera_

And then after that listen to this -- his musical material breakdown for a Goldsmith western score that was entirely new to him is just masterful!
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/6464008-episode-28-rawhide-incident-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-1961

rawhide.jpg

We are in the complicated editing process still for a very substantial Episode 30 (Thriller "Mr. George") with Leigh Phillips returning as guest co-host (it's been two years since he first joined us on Episode 17), but since our recording session ran so long we again decided to split off our initial conversation with Leigh (shorter than the one with Carlos), where he speaks about the possibilities of a Tadlow Thriller Volume 3, plus goes very in-depth and behind the scenes about recreating the synth parts for Intrada's fantastic release of Damnation Alley:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8425660-odyssey-interviews-leigh-phillips

Finally, a couple of oddball but exciting programs to share. First up we called Gold Nugget 8 even though it's really more of a Gold Boulder -- this took more work to produce than any other episode of the show, and it is entirely devoted to a single short theme Jerry Goldsmith wrote, uncredited, as his first theme for a TV series that went beyond the pilot stage. How do we talk about it for 3.5 hours? Well, against all odds it turned into a popular tune of sorts, for bands and surf rock groups! It's a bizarre story which must be heard to be believed, but we went all out and interviewed a whole host of people involved in versions of the theme over the years. This might be the Goldsmith Odyssey episode I am most proud of, so take my word and give it a listen:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8223919-gold-nugget-8-black-saddle-history-of-a-theme-1958-2020

gold_nugget_8.jpg

And finally, our joint production with The Legacy of John Williams podcast, a video extravaganza with no less than four hosts and SEVEN special guests (Mike Mattesino, Jeff Bond, recording engineer Bruce Botnick, pianist/keyboardist Mike Lang, and composer/conductors David Newman, Leonard Slatkin, and Leanna Primiani). There are actually two versions of this to be exact, a video version with the conversationalists visible and lots of rare behind the scenes photographs, and an audio podcast version which makes up for being audio-only by having illustrative musical examples edited throughout the chat:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8043156-score-masters-celebrating-john-williams-and-jerry-goldsmith

score_masters.jpg

And the video version, which already has well over 5,000 plays on YouTube:

Enjoy, everybody -- and please chime in with thoughts about any of these!

Yavar

I met Joel, Carrie, and Carol Goldsmith.  Joel was such a sweet man and very talented in his way.  It's sad he died so young.  In some of his scores he really captured Jerry's sound I felt but always seemed to have a smile.  Carol was so friendly and loved meeting fans of her late husband.  I assume her extroversion must have challenged him as I've heard stories of how hard it was for him to be friendly.  Chris Young, who adored Jerry the composer, told me of a time he was in an elevator with Jerry and neither said a word to the other or acknowledged the other.  Just imagine what that must have been like!  Carrie and my first music teacher went to high school together.  My teacher said a teenage James Horner tried to date Carrie.  So just imagine that soap opera!!  James Horner was at the sessions of Star Trek The Motion Picture scored by Goldsmith.  The 25 year old Horner would reuse the blaster and some STTMP segments in Corman's low budget knock off Battle Beyond the Stars. Then a 28 year old Horner took over the reigns from Goldsmith with with Star Trek 2.  That must have enraged Goldsmith!  Same thing would happen with Alien and Alien 2.  I imagine Goldsmith grew fearful of Horner being the discount Goldsmith.  I love them both of their music but also find their human drama fascination film music history.  And I've performed under Leonard Slatkin who is also on the board of the orchestra I was composer in residence of!  He showed up and I didn't recognize him.  Let's say he blends in...I thought he was just a new orchestra member until I realized who he was!!! I wish I took a picture when my jaw dropped!

22 hours ago, Falco said:

@Yavar Moradi

Finished listening to the Stripper/SPYS episode, the one cue played almost gave me a John Powell "Horton" vibe

I'm so happy to hear you say this. I have always thought that SPYS foreshadowed the silly and creative zaniness of Goldsmith's output for Joe Dante, and in particular their final collaboration together, Looney Tunes: Back in Action, which was written almost three decades later. When I first heard THAT score, I thought to myself, "this doesn't sound like a score by an old man in his 70s; it has the freshness and vitality of something John Powell would write."

At the time Powell was an up and coming composer whose music I had fallen in love with originally thanks to his collaborations with Harry Gregson Williams (Antz, Shrek, and especially the incredible Chicken Run, still to this day one of my favorite scores). When I heard the wacky, fun, and creative score to The Adventures of Pluto Nash the year before Looney Tunes, I realized that my very favorite parts of those collaborative scores were by Powell. His zany energy stands out so much. And his later score to Horton Hears a Who absolutely fits in that tradition as well, so I'm so glad you've chimed in to make that comment because you're the first person besides myself that I've heard make that connection.

Which cue was it that struck you? "Anybody Got a Key?" Or was it something else?

Yavar

Not sure, I think it had accordion (maybe a guitar as well?) and a synth similar to the synth Williams used in Harry Potter (kinda similar to this synthat 0:04 as well:

)

I listened to the Stripper/SPYS episode at work. An interesting episode, but I wasn't able to get much work done simultaneously. So maybe you should make the episodes less interesting in the future, and perhaps talk slower.

• 1 month later...