Yavar Moradi

New podcast with yours truly: THE GOLDSMITH ODYSSEY

@karelm @Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M. @El Jefe @Modest Expectations @Laserschwert @publicist @BrotherSound @Modest Expectations @Jay @Stefancos @Jurassic Shark -- we have a new regular episode (actually posted on December 30th, but I've been traveling so forgive me for the late update here). Jeff Bond returns as special guest host for our discussion of his favorite Goldsmith Thriller score, "Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook". Our great initial conversation about Goldsmith in this episode (before getting to Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook) makes this episode a particularly great jumping-off point for anyone curious to give our show a try for the first time:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2372264-episode-23-thriller-hay-fork-and-bill-hook-1961

I hope you all enjoy (if you don't know this score, you should -- it's superb), and let me know your thoughts after listening if you are so inclined. Also ICYMI, I highly recommend the conversation I had with Bruce Broughton as well:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2083614-odyssey-interviews-bruce-broughton

For anyone curious to experience "Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook" in context before listening to our episode (which does contain spoilers), here it is:

I recommend you try out the opening of that, at least, to get a flavor of the score. It's great stuff!

Yavar

6 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

@Yavar Moradi

Are you going to be discussing all of the Thriller episodes scored by Goldsmith?

We are going to be doing (and have been doing) more than that -- discussing *every last extant work* by Goldsmith that we can find. (The Thrillers are easy peasy, but YOU try finding episodes of now-obscure shows like Breaking Point and Ben Casey!)

I think we may try in the future to tackle two Goldsmith Thrillers in a single podcast (which means we wouldn't be able to be as thorough as we have been on the three we've done so far). So far we haven't tried this because we've had special guests (Leigh Phillips on our first one, Jeff Bond on this new one, and "The Cheaters" in between had W. David Lichty joining us as regular co-host and editor for the first time, so we didn't want to give him an outrageous amount of work on his first rodeo as editor).

But yeah, each Goldsmith Thriller score is deserving of thorough examination on our show, even though there are SIXTEEN of them to get through!

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

We are going to be doing (and have been doing) more than that -- discussing *every last extant work* by Goldsmith that we can find. (The Thrillers are easy peasy, but YOU try finding episodes of now-obscure shows like Breaking Point and Ben Casey!)

I think we may try in the future to tackle two Goldsmith Thrillers in a single podcast (which means we wouldn't be able to be as thorough as we have been on the three we've done so far). So far we haven't tried this because we've had special guests (Leigh Phillips on our first one, Jeff Bond on this new one, and "The Cheaters" in between had W. David Lichty joining us as regular co-host and editor for the first time, so we didn't want to give him an outrageous amount of work on his first rodeo as editor).

But yeah, each Goldsmith Thriller score is deserving of thorough examination on our show, even though there are SIXTEEN of them to get through!

Yavar

I was just asking, because I checked out the Shatner episode with the Painting.

1 hour ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

I was just asking, because I checked out the Shatner episode with the Painting.

Oh, I think that one's "The Grim Reaper"! Yes we will be covering it, and that one will almost certainly be getting its own dedicated podcast I think, because it's the other favorite of Leigh Phillips and he expressed interest in joining us as a guest on that one, as he did with "The Poisoner" this past year...
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/944720-episode-17-thriller-the-poisoner-1961

Yavar

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Thriller? I didn't know JG collaborated with Michael Jackson!

Hah! Actually it was his friend and close contemporary Elmer Bernstein who wrote the original orchestral score for that...in fact I talked about it briefly earlier this year with his son Peter Bernstein, who worked on his father's score as orchestrator:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1746388-odyssey-interviews-peter-bernstein

But of course the Thriller JG contributed 16 scores to (and his friend Morton Stevens contributed even *more* fine original scores to) is the hourlong anthology show hosted by Boris Karloff from the very early 60s, which given the often supernatural bent of its thrilling stories probably DID contribute the title to Michael Jackson's own famous Thriller!)

Yavar

21 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Hah! Actually it was his friend and close contemporary Elmer Bernstein who wrote the original orchestral score for that...in fact I talked about it briefly earlier this year with his son Peter Bernstein, who worked on his father's score as orchestrator:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1746388-odyssey-interviews-peter-bernstein

Not too bad an interview considering the fact that Peter Bernstein seems to barely have known Jerry Goldsmith.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Not too bad an interview considering the fact that Peter Bernstein seems to barely have known Jerry Goldsmith.

Thanks; I'm pretty upfront about it being more of a "Bernstein Odyssey Interview" at the beginning (and in all of my promoting of the interview). Of course when I approached Peter about interviewing him I'd hoped he might have more insight or stories to tell about his father's relationship with Jerry. Disappointing that he didn't have anything to share on that subject really... but we did get a funny little story about him and Jerry passing by each other while toting their big synthesizers... :) I have no regrets about conducting the interview despite it barely touching on Goldsmith, and I don't have any other more general podcast to release it under.

Yavar

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Thanks; I'm pretty upfront about it being more of a "Bernstein Odyssey Interview" at the beginning (and in all of my promoting of the interview). Of course when I approached Peter about interviewing him I'd hoped he might have more insight or stories to tell about his father's relationship with Jerry. Disappointing that he didn't have anything to share on that subject really... but we did get a funny little story about him and Jerry passing by each other while toting their big synthesizers... :) I have no regrets about conducting the interview despite it barely touching on Goldsmith, and I don't have any other more general podcast to release it under.

Yavar

The Bernstein Odyssey? :)

On 1/3/2020 at 11:54 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

The Bernstein Odyssey? :)

I mean...SIGN ME UP, as a listener, should anyone want to tackle Bernstein's long, prolific, and varied output. In terms of Hollywood composers, IMO he's the only one who competes with Jerry when it comes to versatility, longevity, and how prolific he was. Which also means it's too big of a project for me to contemplate, considering I've already probably bitten off more than I can chew with The Goldsmith Odyssey. If I do a sequel podcast in 17 years or whenever when we finish this one, it'll probably be something a *little* less ambitious, like say The Poledouris Odyssey. Comparatively manageable compared with Goldsmith or Bernstein...

By the way, our next episode will be coming very soon (tomorrow night, in fact). Jens has returned for this special episode to launch us into 2020, as both co-host and editor (Clark is taking a brief break on hosting, and David taking a brief break from editing). Get ready for a special THROWBACK episode of The Goldsmith Odyssey!

74cb75bab2243992e98fab5156007185827084cf

Those who are on certain Goldsmith FB groups will know exactly what we are covering...

Yavar

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

When will you tackle Star Trek: TMP!

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Probably not *quite* that far off, but it'll be several years from now, for sure. The full project as currently scheduled should take a decade and a half. We aren't leaving any stone uncovered, when it comes to Jerry's output. And discussing these forgotten gems is some of the most fun!

Here's the Studio One episode we uncovered and will be releasing this "throwback" episode of the show about. It has an absolutely gorgeous Goldsmith score:

I recommend you give it a watch and appreciate the score in context if you don't want to be spoiled by our imminent episode. :)

Yavar

@karelm @Fancyarcher @Brundlefly @Display Name @TownerFan @Disco Stu @Mr. Breathmask @Faleel J.M. @El Jefe @Modest Expectations @Laserschwert @publicist @BrotherSound @Modest Expectations @Jay @Stefancos @Jurassic Shark -- as promised we are starting off 2020 with a special "throwback" episode, where Clark takes a break and Jens joins us in his place, to discuss the beautiful score Jerry wrote in 1958 for "Tongues of Angels", a live filmed play in the Studio One series -- see above for the episode itself if you're inclined to watch it. Though it has been up on YouTube since before the podcast started, we only discovered recently in November that Jerry composed a score for it. Our discussion (actually recorded in December 2019) is here:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2486198-episode-24-tongues-of-angels-westinghouse-studio-one-1958

Yavar